1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Newcastle United vs Arsenal - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, May 14, 2022.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

The issue with not having CL though will be the ability to attract that 'world class' CF that we need. I'm not sure what names you have in mind, but I agree it's an absolute priority to get somebody in who can get us 20+ per season. The difference between us and Spurs this season has been the fact that they've got Son and Kane, who for the life of me, I cannot understand why they have stuck with that club for so long, but when you look at the GD, there's the difference and those players have been the difference for them between winning and losing.

As for MF goals, Saka and ESR offer a threat, but a player like Tielemans would be ideal for me. He creates, keeps the ball moving forward and adds goals. He's just the type of midfielder we should be going for.

2. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Sell/Release: Cedric, Elneny, Nketiah, Pepe, Guendouzi, Bellerin, Torreira and Lacazette
    Sign: Hickey, Bissouma, Diaby, Jesus, Toney

GK

Ramsdale
    Leno

Defenders
    Starting:
    Tomiyasu
    White
    Saliba/Gabriel
    Tierney

Backup:
    Gabriel/Saliba
    Hickey
    Holding

CMs
    Starting:
    Partey
    New (Bissouma)

Backup:
    Xhaka
    Lokonga
    Patino

AMs/WFs
    Starting:
    Odegaard
    Saka
    New (Diaby)

Backup:
    Martinelli
    Smith-Rowe
    Nelson
    Marquinhos

Forwards
    Starting:
    New (Jesus)

Backup:
    New (Toney)

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Patio has got a great future, what about Lokonga ?

4. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

He's already there in my list, obvs:emoticon-0103-cool:

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I can pretend I didn't see that edit mate, nobody else will notice either ;)

Actually think Lokonga can be a very decent player in there, he just needs a run in the team. Which he should get with EL, PL and domestic cups next season.

6. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I don't even get any Lokonga hate. Anytime I watch him he looks very good.

I'd also get Arteta and Edu to sit down with Torreira and Guendouzi and see if there's any possible return there. Both are good players potentially. Guendouzi is, fundamentally, an absolute bell-end though so that would have to be resolved. And Torreira, fundamentally, can't speak English and doesn't seem to like England so that would have to be resolved. Maybe just easier to sell both.

7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Forgot about Reiss Nelson too who would be a useful backup wing-forward. More useful than Pepe anyway who Arteta clearly doesn't rate and therefore doesn't use for rotation.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Unfortunately I think both of those ships have sailed. Torriera maybe for the best as I don't think he was ever going to settle in the PL. But Guendouzi is a big loss imo as he's defo a talent and he's got that bit of needle/passion that sparks a game.

9. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

The problem you now have is you almost certainly will have less Euro money than Spurs who have shown recently an improved judgement in the transfer market and is seems safe to assume they will be better next season and surely Man Utd have to be better next season .

10. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

We also had even less money last season without any europe at all and still didn't have a problem spending money. Amortised savings on all the wages of the players who've left mean we aren't short of money. The CL lure is a slightly bigger issue, but again, there are enough good players out there to go to clubs who aren't in the CL. Think of all the amazing players in the prem alone who don't play CL, let alone those in other leagues around the world. Bruno G went to Newcastle knowing they won't be in CL for at least 18 months at the earliest. Bissouma is top class and hasn't played CL ever. Easily doable to get players in who would significantly improve us. United 'have' to be better is a big 'if'. Maybe. Depends who they get. Depends on Erik.

Spurs have to cough up £25m odd for Kulu if they want him permanently so their kitty immediately is with that fee removed. Whoever they get, they're still going to be heavily influenced by whether Kane and Son are in form or not as has been the case for years. A bit like Ronaldo at United, they've turned into the defacto duo who win them their games and when they go missing or get marked out of the game, Spurs turn gash. They could do with a better midfielder to partner Bentancur, but let's face it, they all want Skipp in there anyway. So that just leaves the back-line and wing-backs and a keeper.

11. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Alexander Isak, Luka Jovic, Raul de Thomas, Calvert Lewin and others are all names which have been thrown around here and there. The problem is, as you say, getting a world class forward without the pull of CL football. That doesn't mean we can't develop strikers from our own academy but that takes a long time, something we don't have. What will have to happen is we will either have to get lucky and nab a player who is underrated or we have to settle for a lesser option that can hopefully tide us over until we can get someone decent. Arsenal as a football club has always been associated with some of the best strikers in the world so its a mystery to me why this aspect of our game has been ignored. Your strikers are the focal point of your team (and some of your most important players). If you have great strikers, you can (sometimes) get away with lesser quality in other areas by scoring enough goals to make up for it. Look at that lot down the road as an example. Average side, great forwards. It makes a difference.

PINKIE likes this.
  12. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Lo Celso almost certainly pays for that so no sweat.

We also don’t have to pay for Kulu this summer if we don’t want (though we will), 18 month loan.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

You have to pay for Romero too this summer. Presuming you want to keep him

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

100% keeping him. Conte’s already said it. Bloke is absolute quality. We’ll cover most of that with sales of the likes of Bergwijn, Winks etc too.

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yeah he is quality. Bergwijn is probs an £8m-£10m player and I'm not sure the extra £38 you'll get for Winks will cover it.

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Don’t tell Ajax that, they’re supposedly planning a £20m+ move for Bergwijn and were in January too, we just rejected it back then (<doh>) as it came after his Leicester heroics. Winks will get us £10m-£15m, someone stupid will pay that because he’s English, despite the fact most Spurs fans would pay him to leave.

Based on his track record though I’m hoping/ expecting Paratici to look at the freebie market like he done with Juve. Some unreal players gonna be available this summer.

18. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

It should be an interesting transfer window for all clubs, I think. Going to be fascinating to see who plays in the Premier League next season. Regardless of your affiliation, you always want to see the best players playing for clubs in England (unless they are your closest rivals!)

Dier Hard likes this.
  19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Gonna be a very interesting summer.

I always keep an eye out on who you lot sign, likewise Chelsea and West Ham.

Toon are likely gonna be a problem, I wouldn’t even be surprised if they manage to sign a player from one of the big six.

City’s already nabbed Haaland and Pep will likely spend another £50m on a LB to replace Mendy.

20. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Yes the issue really was the thin-ness of the squad.

Lets be honest we wouldn't have lost all those recent games had Tierney & Partey been available. The replacements for those positions were HUGE steps down in quality.

Had Saliba been recalled we could have managed the Tomiyasu injuries with White at RB.

We should also have added another striker in January.

A lot of this comes down to managerial mistakes but to be fair on Arteta he can't rebuild the squad without selling/ loaning players.

I like the two youngsters we are brining in. Hickey looks like another quality Scottish fullback and Marquinhos has a real look of class about him. I still maintain this is Arsenals best route forward - young talent plus 1-2 experienced Top Class additions.