1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Newcastle United v Saints Saturday 6th February 2021, 3pm BT Sport 1

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fatletiss, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Oh, and both Che and Danny really need a goal.

2. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

Very disappointing but I’m optimistic we can bounce back with a win in the cup on Thursday and raise some morale. Good to have some players return from injury and shake some dust off.

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

It was a very poor result Tom. I’ll be amazed if you find a Saints fan that disagrees

4. SootySaint

SootySaint Well-Known Member

I don't want him sacked but i am fuming at ralph today. The formation clearly wasn't working and plenty of players clearly having off days and yet the only sub he makes is in the 80th min. Id get it if we were having lots of great shots from open play but we weren't. The crossing was poor and most ended up as set piece corners.

5. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

No meltdown from me.

Poor mistakes in the first half cost us.

Unless you are playing against us 10 or 9 men can be a lot more difficult to play against.

Annoyed with the lack of urgency we showed in the final 10 mins though.

Please everyone though. Stop this relegation ****. We are 15 points clear and only about 4-5 points from safety.

6. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

The condition were poor too, but we should've managed to pressure them much more.

fatletiss likes this.
  7. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

That defeat is worse to take than Tuesday`s. I`m not one to have a go at individual players, but Redmond was totally ineffective. He had plenty opportunity to take his man on against a depleted defence, but didn`t.

8. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

I'm always reluctant to criticise Saints and I won't pick out any individuals but ..... that was a disgraceful second half performance. We spent the majority of the time fanning about trying to walk it in the net. To not score against 9 men is frankly unforgivable. I nearly posted earlier in the week, how Man Utd showed the football world how to capitalise on the 1 man advantage. I was hoping we would learn at least something from that but no. We showed how not to play against 9 men. It was pathetic.

That said, well played Newcastle. I almost didn't want them to lose because they had so much bad luck with injuries (we've been there - we should be able to empathise). They fought brilliantly for the last 35 minutes and fully deserved the three points.

9. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums up our issues, we are one of the worst teams (we were the worst last time I looked, haven’t looked at the stats for a while) at chances created in the league. Against 10 we created one opportunity from a header from a corner, against 9 we created nothing.

Was always going to be harder against 10 in those conditions or even 9. Made Newcastle’s mind up for them, just to sit back and soak it up against a very average attack

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There's only so many times we can move on after a defeat. We really shouldn't have lost this match. Our defending was utterly pathetic in the first half and that goal just before HT was just criminal.

11. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Next 3 pl games = 0 points .

12. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

That was the bit that was pissing me off. How can we keep Redmond on for 90 mins, couldn’t beat his man, couldn’t cross past 1st man. Then again, not fair on Nate, a few were not at their best, Danny in particular.

Still, Minimino looked good.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  13. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Just as well you aren’t managing the team then.

14. Saint

Saint Active Member

I’m sorry but it’s not good enough, dropping to 9 men for 17 minutes and still playing pedestrian football is so poor it hurts. You can blame the conditions, KWP being out and the 9-0 but ultimately it’s simply not good enough given the circumstances take nothing away from that game. Can’t think of a time I’ve been this angry about a game in a while.

LincolnSaint likes this.
  15. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I hope that KWP can come back on thursday, otherwise I fear for us.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  16. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Or 9...

17. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Poor result, hideous conditions, awful mistakes in the first half, zero luck, but no excuses, we really should have been better. Redmond was awful second half with his crosses, and Danny/Che desperately need to hit the back of the net.

Plus sides? Well, we're getting our players back. I'm going to do the next match thread, and I fancy my chances of a run. Mini Metro looks a good addition. And Lincoln got his second hard-on of the year.

18. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Has anybody seen the real Danny wings since he came back from injury? Looks a shadow of the striker who was on the verge of the England team...to much worrying about contracts I suspect

AshbySaint and garysfc like this.
  19. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

Not good enough. Individual errors, and no urgency in the last 15 against 9 men. Same build up all the time.

Their GK had 1 save to make after JWP scored the free kick.

We are the worse team in the league both with and against 10 men.

20. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Would have really liked for us to use the numerical advantage to attack from the flanks. Not to lump in static crosses: stick two players wide and run at a defender. If Newcastle sticks two players wide to cover, that increases the numerical advantage in the box. Just because the box is stacked doesn't mean that players have to stop moving.