1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Newcastle and Sunderland

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chappaz, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

Hi folks.

I'd make a cross-board thread but the feature has been disabled so I'll just have to post this on the boards of the fans who's opinions I care about.

I've never really known what fans of other clubs have thought about Newcastle and Sunderland, the two North East clubs isolated right up here in the corner of England. I was just wondering what DO you think? How would you view and compare the statures and histories of the clubs? Do you have any affiliations with either side?

I'm fully aware some of you won't give a **** about either club and have never had a single thought about Newcastle or Sunderland, but for those who have, I'd be very interested to hear your views and how you see each club.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Good question.

My belief is that you getting relegated has given you a dose of much needed reality. Prior to this there was always this attitude that you considered yoursleves to be a 'massive' club without actually earning that status, were the best fans in the world based on some myth that you had a special ethos and that there was some seemingly divine right to be up in the top six or so based on this.

I'm not saying this was true in all cases but it was an impression given off that made people not too bothered when you went down.

Relegation has shown you that this is not the case and it's been refreshing since you've been back to be absolutely honest. Long may it continue and I genuinely hope you build on this and attain some status in europe. You could do with winning a tournament, the Carling cup would be a god start.

Your owner is a tool but you can't have everything, eh?

Sunderland? Not really arsed either way to be honest.

3. KingEric07.

KingEric07. cape wearing twat

Well my dad is from Chester le Street and is a Sunderland season ticket holder even though he now lives in Yorkshire.

He was desperate for me to follow him to be a Sunderland fan so I've been to see alot of their games. UNofrtuntaley for him my uncle had already taken my to Old Trafford to see United a few times and I was hooked from then ( my older brother who I also looked up to is a big United fan which influenced me ).

I'll always want Sunderland to do well but whilst my dad dislikes Newcastle I couldn't really be arsed either way about them (unless we need you to take something from City then I will support you for 1 game).

4. SAMOC

SAMOC New Member

Sunderland > Newcastle

5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I went out with a girl from Seaham for a bit, met her on holiday. She's was fit as **** mate.

Anyway, I went up there one weekend and she worked Saturday's so I went to Roker park and watched Sunderland play Wigan. It was a ****ing shed.

Halcyon days!!

6. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

You may care last game

Every family has a black sheep

7. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

I agree, to a point anyway. I think SOME fans were quite delusional, so they've been sorted out at least, but the main benefit from relegation was that it got rid of ****loads of dead wood and basically got rid of the old way the club was ran, which was never sustainable long-term and almost sent us into financial ruin.

It's a fresh start really. A clean slate. The players who took pride in the club stuck by us in the CC, and these players formed the foundations for a team which played as a unit and took pride in playing. We then went on from there and recruited players with the same ethod.

But cheers. I hope we get Europe too, I really do.

I can see why you said that.

8. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Hopefully we'll have won it by then. <ok>

I don't mean it disrespectfully, although it might have come across like that. I just mean there is nothing bad to say and that is probably to your credit, there's none of the big club ****. Still a proper great club though obviously.

9. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I have no affiliations with either club.

Newcastle have had a superb season and have exceeded a lot of expectation of the club. Newcastle will probably be in Europe next season so another great achievement for the club to get into Europe and a chance for the fans to go different European games. You are 5 points away from a champions league spot so who knows what could happen till the end of the season.

Sunderland were abysmal under Steve Bruce but have been transformed under Martin O' Neill who has done a wonderful job since taking over.

Both clubs have done the North east proud with their performance in the league this season.

10. KingEric07.

KingEric07. cape wearing twat

Or Cat.

Ruffian - your right about Roker Park but I have some really good memories of the place. I made sure I took my grandad back their before he passed and when he was well enough to go and remember the look on his face when the memories came back to him in the ground. He loved it.

I think they beat Huddersfield and Michael Bridges scored a few.

11. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

Roker Park was a tip but it was our tip.

12. Ra

Ra Member

Newcastle have nice fans and decent squads over the years. Shame about the owner and the bullshit that went down in regards to the stadium name.

As for Sunderland I can't be bothered to spare any thoughts on them.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Good post.

Getting relegated propably brought a few egos back down to size from within the club and the fans. As for Sunderland, i think they have accepted (sort of) playing second fiddle to Newcastle over the years, so they don't have the "big I am' syndrome and nobody really takes that much notice of them. Apart from when they get a draw at City. :smiley:

14. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If im honest i was happy to see you relagated a few years ago. However since then i've gained a lot of respect for the way the club is being run now. Alan Pardew has done a great job. You've spent wisely and really earned the success your having now. Im always in favour of any team that can really upset the expected order (Billionaire takeovers aside).