1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Years Day Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Jan 1, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tactically, we've been found out, including isolating our front men

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Teams basically just press our full backs when Meslier has the ball and they double up on Raphinha, do that right and it’s pretty much job done.

It’s why I’d like to see James kept out wide left, his pace scares opposition, it gives them another thing to think about, it’s why we miss the creative spark like a younger Pablo or a proper 10 who scores goals, it would be “Another” thing to think about and overcome, the worry of a strong 10 who’d exploit the space left when teams double up on Raphinha.

As it stands, stop Raphinha and stop the out ball to our full backs the rest has been too simple for the opposition

Lots of players are available again now, let’s hope for an improvement.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    Doc likes this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Apparently Stuart McKinstry is wanted by Stoke, Coventry and Blackpool

This one makes me laugh: Man Utd and Liverpool want Charlie Cresswell

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Day 2 of window

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Another American Daryl Dike signed for WBA yesterday too

7. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

really? You think after his teams playing the same way for 20+ years of management, sides have only just sussed it?

I think it’s more a case of better sides having better players to carry out a game plan against us… especially when we’re weakened.

That said, what Phillips said recently was interesting - that sides are changing formation (sometimes several times) during games, and that we’re not coping well enough with it.

Do they do this to mess with our set up..,I said recently that if I was playing Leeds i’d start with 2 strikers, just so we set up with 3 at the back… as mb is formulaic about certain things and I don’t think we’re at our best with a back 3. Maybe we’re seeing sides take advantage of bielsa’s ‘rules’ or maybe they just think mixing things up, messes with our formula and pulls our man 2 man markers out of position.

either way, there were games very early in bielsa’s time here, that championship sides either parked the bus and waited to pounce on errors or gave us real trouble with counter-pressing…

…they didn’t do it at turf moor, but Burnley had us completely hemmed in for large parts of the game at Elland road last season… let’s hope they aren’t able to today.

Leedsoflondon and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  8. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They’re changing it mid game because they know we’re too rigid with man marking, they have a rough idea who is marking who and once confirmed after a few minutes they’re using it to move us around like puppets on a string.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Better teams with better players as Milky says, will change formation 2 or 3 times and that drags our players all over the pitch. Too easy saying Firpo left a huge hole when really Firpo was following his man who had gone to CM. We also see our wingers are double teamed simply because we do our damage with quick triangles down the flanks. Not having Ayling and Rapha in tandem hurt us. Shacks went backwards which put pressure on CBs and Keeper, Shacks really never attacked just played side or back. The Dan James striker role has also been a disaster….

Be interesting to see our line up today at the back and where Koch slots in

10. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Exactly a pundit said it's like watching kids play and i agree.

ristac likes this.

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

If we were playing against an inferior team, or a team with low levels of fitness no problem at all, but when you're not playing well as a unit or against a superior team, I can't think of an advantage.

ristac and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Derby have won three games on the trot. It's about time they had another points deduction. <cheers>

13. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Bielsas tactics are totally inferior to any team we meet. I cannot understand his thinking in the way he sets us up. Brilliant man manager but overly obsessive with fitness and man marking. He just keeps plugging away with the same old style. Too many people are fixated because he got us promoted on the cheap. This suited rads and got him a lump of cash from the 49ers.he has since paid himself back a loan he put into the club.
    If we get relegated this season and we could if newcastle spend big. Trippier is joining them soon and he is just the start. I would feel sorry for the supporters but laugh at rads money making scheme going down the ****ter. Him and orta just have bought some more players and told bielsa to lump it.
    As for todays game all we need is a shyte ref and Burnley will kick lumps out of us. We forever seem to be waiting for that decent result or injured players to come back. Last season Llorente made a comeback and lasted ten minutes. Bielsa had him doing two murder ball sessions a week.. The man is nuts.

ellandback likes this.
  14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Our midfield in particular has really struggled this season . Phillips too has been poor in comparison to last term. Hi ratings have gone way down.

phillips.jpg aza.jpg

Whilst the stats are a little harsh, especially when you look at our win / lose ratio without him, data from whoscored.com are the chosen company used by bookies like Bet365 to settle queries! The lack of quality this season has created gaps in the middle of the park, allowing opposition players to make box to box runs at will. We used to pack out the midfield, now everything goes through the wing backs (70% to Ayling) and the opposition are waiting for it. There is no variety. Lack of talent in midfield maybe, but teams are certainly getting an advantage over us for playing the same way week in- week out!

15. ellandback

Forum Moderator

<applause><applause><applause>

16. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Kids teams are more organised tbf.

ristac likes this.
  17. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Man City have been found out tactically but they have the quality to win their one v one battles and impose their game on the opposition.

We on the other hand lack quality to play in tight situations (particularly this season when players are injured or just bang out of form) and give the ball away exposing our backline.

I could pick many examples of this but as someone said, teams are doubling up on Raphinha. Two things happen here. Raphinha wants to take the two or three men on himself which is a mistake. Harrison/James on the left should have lots of space because Rapha has two on him. Unfortunately when we do get the ball to the left, Harrison/James are that out of form the do **** all with it. Rapha then thinks "**** it, I'll do it myself!" and tries to take on too many people. The ultimate outcome from either wing is we lose the ball whilst the rest of the team bomb forward and it leaves us exposed.

One of the contributing factors to this is there is seldom midfield option leaving the wingers to try and do it all themselves.

Attacking wise, as much as he is bad defensively, Firpo really gives us good options backing up and overlapping. Unfortunately his quality on the ball leaves a lot to be desired.

It's not the system, it's the players or lack of.

That is what's happening.

ristac, FORZA LEEDS and Doc like this.
  18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Tough tough game to watch and the chances wasted by Roberts had me screaming at the telly. Raphinha was gash again and selfish and also wasted easy chances today. Harrison gash but at least got lucky and scored. I thought Koch was immense today and even though he started shaky it was Chris Wood who was taken off as he was well looked after by the German. Ayling getting back to his best, Llorente good again and give Firpo some love too he had a great game. The defence as a unit did its job.

Klich was ok Dallas better and a great goal, Dan james came on and within seconds created a great chance, then he went quiet until he got on the end of that ball from Joffy.

Joffy now has 1 goal and 3 assists and should have started today because he makes things happen

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Love this journo and his dislike for Tyler Roberts. I was angry with Roberts because he couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo, but in most media outlets he scores a 7 and would have been 10 if he had scored…
    Raphinha (RW) - 8/10 - Like Firpo was threatening throughout and most of what Leeds created came through the Brazilian.

Tyler Roberts (CF) - 3/10 - Involved plenty but goodness me he is not a number nine. Ducked out of the way of Cornet's equaliser.

Jack Harrison (LW) - 8/10 - Linked up well with the advancing Firpo and was rewarded with a goal.

4. Substitutes
    Joe Gelhardt (CF, 58' for Roberts) - 7/10 - A much more natural fit than Roberts. Cracking assist for James.

Dan James (LW, 62' for Harrison) - 7/10 - How a man as short as James scored a header is beyond me, but fair play.

20. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I’ll be honest mate, I went on Newsnow (I know I shouldn’t) and there are several that have given Roberts 4 or 5 Raphinha in the ones I saw (think I checked three) averaged 6 Meslier 5 and MOM on all three was Dallas followed by Forshaw Koch scored 6,6,7 yet on this forum most saw a different game

Doc likes this.