1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours New Year presents and New Year sales?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Nov 27, 2018.

1. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Hmmm, looks like you were proven right.

The downside is, you were proven right.

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The pound is not "tanking" recently against the Euro - that's the bollux taff. In August of 2017 that's 18 months ago now, the pound was worth 1.09 Euros - today it's worth 1.11 Euros even through all this recent political turmoil - it's actually gone up since then.

You can pick any range you like but the parity between the pound and the Euro has never varied by more than about 10% since before the referendum leave vote in June 2016. The pound was only worth 1.24 Euros in April 2016 - that was months before the referendum.

This exchange rate perceived problem is all a load of hogwash anyway. Most if not all European players who agree to come to a UK club have their contractual wages paid in Euros so it makes no difference whatsoever.

If you're talking about non Euro countries, then you can apply the opposite effect for some of them so their players should be cheaper. For instance the pound has more than held it's own against such as the Turkish Lira etc which has dropped out of sight.

Unless we try to sign any Yanks from over there (very doubtful) now the dollar has gone through the roof, then we don't have this perceived problem that could be used as an excuse.

3. william5551

william5551 Well-Known Member

u can pick any range you like but the parity between the pound and the Euro has never varied by more than about 10% since before the referendum leave vote in June 2016. The pound was only worth 1.24 Euros in April 2016 - that was months before the referendum.

This exchange rate perceived problem is all a load of hogwash anyway. Most if not all European players who agree to come to a UK club have their contractual wages paid in Euros so it makes no difference whatsoever.

If you're talking about non Euro countries, then you can apply the opposite effect for some of them so their players should be cheaper. For instance the pound has more than held it's own against such as the Turkish Lira etc which has dropped out of sight.

Unless we try to sign any Yanks from over there (very doubtful) now the dollar has gone through the roof, then we don't have this perceived problem that could be used as an excuse.[/QUOTE]
    I live in France and the rate before this stupid vote brexit was 1.44 pity they didn't buy then

4. william5551

william5551 Well-Known Member

Sparks I live in France and change my pensions every year so I know how the euro changes .before that stupid brexit vote the euro was 1.44 to the pound .so you can imagine how it affects me,but buying players from the euro sector at the moment is to expensive.

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Will - it was only ever above 1.4 Euros in 2015 - that's a year before the referendum. It fell gradually from then over the next year to which was nothing to do with the Brexit vote and was purely economic performance related - the referendum hadn't even been proposed by Cameron at that time.

Just before the Brexit vote in June 2016 it was 1.25, and that was when everyone thought we would vote to remain. It only fell to 1.10 after and because of the Brexit vote - since then it has climbed back up and has only recently receded again because of all this poitical **** flying about right now.

I'm not disputing your situation in having to adjust your pension pal, but to blame it soley on Brexit is a mistake - it's been going on for literally years.

6. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Euros or pounds, it won’t make a jot of difference to our January window- it’ll be as usual an anti climax and disappointment.

Jon Parkin, Wilfred Zaha & Gary Madine spring to mind<doh>

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I agree about the potential anti-climax to this transfer window Nin, but I can't understand the thinking about the pound/euro effect on it.

If the pound has gone down for instance 10% since this time last year, why anyone woud think that a club willing to pay say £10M for a player would be unable to pay £11M.

It's a false argument that could be used as an excuse - not that I'm saying anyone inside the club is saying that right now.

8. ninian opinion

Latest talk is of NW walking over lack of funds in January.

If true maybe Tan just doesnt think he spends money well eg Madine, Reid whereas he’s pretty good at getting players for free or cheap eg Hoilett, Bamba, Etheridge.

If he expects NW to find PL quality on the cheap then he’s seriously deluded and needs telling.

I can accept an owner not wanting to spend over the odds on unknown quantities but by the same token unless City get in fresh players they’re surely doomed.

Plus we’re only allowed one more loan player I think.

9. ccfcremotesupport

One more premier league loanee.
    We can have more from other leagues / divisions.

10. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

The player getting paid in euros become more ore less expensive if your business is run in pounds.
    Clubs that can afford a 10% shift may not baulkmat a relatively small increase for the transfer price, they would, I suspect be more concerned about ongoing cost should the player be paid in euros. Again, bigger clubs may not be overly concerned, but I’m sure our club would be.

PS, the fx rate is only a part of the problem after brexit.

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

.......and even from abroad if the exchange rate improves. <doh>.......<laugh>

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

The impact of fx rate changes has always been a factor long before the Brexit issue was ever raised let alone voted for. The fluctuation purely due to Brexit is marginal and tends to be overblown as a smokescreen for lack of ambition.

It didn't stop Wenger from bringing in Aubameyang and Lacazette from Dortmund and Lyon, nor Santo from signing Neves and Patricio from Portugal - and there are plenty of others. Not in anyway saying we've got their money, but the principal is exactly the same.

Not going to get into a "Brexit debate" about other issues Taff - this one is enough for me. :emoticon-0105-wink:

13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

14. ninian opinion

Happy Christmas fellow City fans
    <cracker>
    <cheers>

15. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

This one won't have anything to do with fx rates, more other clubs with deeper pockets. 4 top half premier league clubs interested in him...
    As for the Real Betis fans, they're basically saying (google translate) there's little common sense in the UK due to the inflated offer of €15 million. Most seem to think he's no more than a bench warmer.
    Would there be a bidding war? I don't think so, he's good but not that good.

16. ninian opinion

I sometimes prefer players to remain loan players; they’ve got more to play for: they’re in the shop window.

Once you buy them it’s hit or miss whether they’ll continue to impress.

One prime example: Lex Immers.

17. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Id take him anyday Taff and agree there'd be other bidders as well with deeper pockets. He's still only young and will improve over here.

From what I've seen he's the classiest and probably the best player we've got, so if he's not that good as you say, the rest must be ****.

18. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Agree about Immers Nin - big start, poor finish.

The difference was that he was around 30 when he came to us and looking for a pension - Cam is only just 24 and has got a long way to go in his career.

19. ccfcremotesupport

My only concern would be the impact on our ability to sign additional players. That's €15M out of the transfer pot for a player we already have.
    Would rather sign AN Other and worry about signing Camarasa as a permie at the end of the season. It increases our chance of survival.

20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I think the inference is that it would be end of season, viz next summer not now. He's on a season long loan deal.