1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

new stadium

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, Apr 6, 2023.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

According to Bristol Live Rovers are moving in the right direction for their proposed plans to build a new stadium at St Philips Marsh fruit market,

Conygar have purchased an option to purchase providing that planning permission is applied for by March 31st 2024.

The provision is for a 17000 - 20000 capacity with options to expand.

Full article can be found on Bristol Live

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Like always, I'll believe it when I'm sat in it <laugh>

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Statement on our official site...

Conygar Bristol Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Conygar Investment Company PLC, has exchanged conditional contracts with the Wholesale Bristol Fruit Market for the land at St. Philips Marsh, where the market is currently located.

Bristol Rovers Football Club is supportive of this development and we welcome the news today of the contract exchange. The regeneration of St Philip’s Marsh represents a great opportunity for the region and the football club.

Bristol City Council and its partners, including West of England Combined Authority (WECA) and Homes England, consider St. Philip’s Marsh to be an exciting opportunity to develop a low-carbon place to live, work and spend time. The club shares the aspirations set out in the Bristol Temple Quarter Development Framework and looks forward to working with the Council and its partners to make these a reality.

Over the next few months, we will work with Conygar to play our part in creating a vision for the site that supports the needs of the city as well as ensuring that we protect the long-term interests of the football club.

Bristol Rovers Football Club has been a part of these discussions for the past two-and-a-half years and we will now work with Conygar to finalise the plans unlocking the potential of the site for the city and the football club.

Club President Wael Al Qadi said: “This announcement marks a big milestone in our journey for a new stadium. We have been in positive discussions with the team at Conygar for two-and-a-half years and we are delighted that they have now formally secured a deal for the site. We look forward to working with them to finalise our agreement, whilst maintaining the long-term future of Bristol Rovers Football Club.”

Greg Miller Cheevers, CEO of Conygar said: “St. Philip’s Marsh and the Fruit Market site hold exciting possibilities that could help to transform this area into something positive for the city. We have been in discussion with Bristol Rovers for a significant time. These discussions between Conygar and the club are meaningful and ongoing and I look forward to continuing to work with Wael and the club to finalise a solution that works for all parties.”

Conygar: regeneration track-record

Conygar holds substantial experience in multi-million-pound regeneration schemes. These schemes include Island Quarter in Nottingham City Centre – a mixed-use scheme for over three million square feet to include new homes, life sciences, grade A office space, creative market, a lifestyle hotel, retail units, student accommodation and associated public realm.

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The statement coincided with this clip...

Bluebaldee likes this.
  5. old timer

Big article in todays WDP about it

6. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Nice video - but as CJS said, I’ll believe it when I’m sat in it!

7. old timer

Rather stand myself, think you get a better atmosphere when people are stood rather all seated

8. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

old timer likes this.
  9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Bluebaldee likes this.
  10. old timer

According to Bristol live Rovers are looking for alternative sites as talks appear to have stalled re the fruit market

11. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Obviously never going to happen. All we get is long periods of nothing happening followed by disappointment.

Renovate the Mem? It’s about our only option.

12. old timer

Bluebaldee Not hopeful on that either with the current problems with the increased capacity issues of the present time

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Is Filton still an option?

14. old timer

In the original article I read about the fruit market possibly not happening it mentioned something about Filton airfield but more than that I can't recall

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

<doh>

old timer likes this.
  16. old timer

I think the time they find the right site, purchase it, and then get planning permission and get it built I shall be to old to get to the matches especially if it is under Bristol Planning authority, if they move to South Gloucester then it might happen in my lifetime of attending matches but I am not holding my breath

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.