1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Season

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Aug 3, 2019.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Well been a busy summer with Steve Evans coming in. Not a popular figure and big gamble by Scally.
    To be fair to Evans he has got good pedigree at this level and has a lot of contacts. He has spoken very well during pre season and changed a few supporters minds. We have signed a lot of players some played at this level some young players from prem. Of coarse we have lost 2 of our best players in Holy and Eaves. Eaves will be a big miss but hopping Hanlon can continue his good end of season form.
    There does seem to be a little buzz that we could do better this season and be top half rather than bottom.
    So where do I think we will finish.
    I still think we will not make play offs but should be safe from a relagation battle.
    I think we will just about be top half so going for 12th.
    Where does everyone else think we will finish.

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

I'd quite happily take a draw today, and that will be a good result in my book, then a home win next Saturday.

3. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Despite my misgivings on Evans, they are based on his personality, not on his ability to coach. So let's hope that his coaching ability gets more of the headlines, and I'm actually going to go for a strong 10th.

4. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

See I'm not totally sold that our team is that much better than last season. We've lost our main goalscorer and now look to be playing a system that doesn't suit our remaining striker in Hanlan. A lot of youngsters signed or players that have played lots in Scotland, a notoriously poor standard. Saturday will be a better opportunity to judge but I'm very much erring on the side of caution. Prediction? We will finish in the Top 24

5. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Pegleg - if you had seen our first half at Doncaster, you wouldn't need to worry. We didn't have a 'target' striker - but played a system that brought together the strengths of the squad we have. The football was very pleasing to watch ( except for 45+2 mins ).
    The substitutes didn't do what Evans expected - but at least a draw was deserved ---- and we didn't have the luxury of Willock in the team - nor did we use Mandron - both of whom will probably improve the side / 'expectations'.

I have no problem if we don't have a traditional 'target' man - it might actually encourage a more 'passing' style ( of which I believe we have the players to be able to perform ) - rather than the L O N G ball that generally ended up in lost possession within 5 seconds.

6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

From what I've seen so far I think we are better than last season, I was disappointed to see us play for the point in the second half at Donny. but 1 point is better than none I suppose. The subs looked ineffective but that was because the team were sitting back, in the first half the midfield/defence pushed up and supported the front 3.
    At the moment I am expecting us to finish in the top 10, however I've not seen how well other league 1 teams have rebuilt, so might need to reassess as the season progresses.

7. The Gills PegLeg

Not saying that a target man is the answer and I also think it's doing Eaves a disservice to label him as such as he offered so much more than just hoof it up to and let him lay it off. My point more refers to the abject display at Dover which we were terrible, the draw against Southend which again sounded very poor and that we threw away a lead against a side who has lost 7 of the starting 11 players from the play off semi-final. Anyone outside looking in can see Doncaster have got a real tough job this year and to not even get a shot on target in the second half whatsoever, doesn't to me suggest that's an improvement on Lovell's side just yet.

For me any side can look good for 45 mins, in fact that was a constant under Lovell and if Evans wants to win me over, he needs to be getting more out of the players than 45 mins displays, otherwise what was the point in hiring the bloke in the first place?

8. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Pegleg - give it a little time!
    I said that we didn't have Mandron ( probable 'target' man ) - nor Willock -- both of whom I expect will make the team better. I would like to have a 'target' man in the side - but -- last season ( and before ), Eaves didn't really have the players around him - to 'lay off' the ball.
    I mentioned 'hoofball' -- and what happens - we either lose possession very quickly - or we had Eaves chasing the ball -- to the wings -- and wasn't in the middle for the crosses - which would have been his job to win and score or to 'lay off.' ---- this was no fault of Eaves - but poor managerial tactics (( or lack of ))
    My hope is that Mandron can be the 'target man' that is needed - and with the other players we have recruited, who appear to be of better quality ( with pace ), -we can co-ordinate our attacks - to make them much more efficient than we've had in recent years.
    I am sure that Evans would say that we have been short, by one, two or three players, of what he would consider the strongest 11 ( thus far )..... and you can't expect so many new players to combine ( overnight), as if they've been together for ages.

9. The Gills PegLeg

That's another problem of mine is that we probably do have the players for those areas but they haven't even been given an opportunity. He keeps banging the drum about another left sided midfielder of defender but then allows a very competent left sided midfielder (who can also play at left back) in Callum Reilly to leave? A player that had been looking fairly decent in preseason and probably was the answer for that quandary. Also I don't buy the whole it takes time for players to combine, other teams seem to manage fine, we just always seem to be playing catch-up.

I'm going to the Burton game so I will make another judgement on Saturday but it will remain to be seen.

10. gioblues

Away form under Lovell was pretty good but home form was terrible. Evans has to make sure we are better at home or can't see him being here long

11. gioblues

Well yesterday it looked exactly the same as under Lovell. Another defeat at home.
    Ok only second game but did not see many postives apart from Bonham who looks as good as Holy if not better. Need a striker to take over from Eaves which is a much harder task. Jones other newbie who looks decent others don't no yet.

brb likes this.