1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Qualifying Format 2016

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by eddie_squidd, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

they can't get thge software ready in time? WTF? Now, I could understand software problems in a highly advanced racing car with computer controlled everything, but to time 20 cars? I would never have imagined that counting off 90 seconds and working out which lap is the slowest is so complecated that it takes months of coding.

2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I still think even if the get the software sorted, it will be practically impossible to instruct and remove the knocked out driver in a reasonable time without affecting other drivers on track - especially street circuits and short circuits.

3. Big Ern

what about a wet Spa?

El_Bando and Smithers like this.
  4. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Re the software. I can't remember/don't know who actually makes the timing software but my guess is this change the FIA/FOM want was very short notice and as such the timing company had no time to gather a software team and plan the project within 4 weeks of the first race. While it is relatively simple changes the timing software was never designed with 90 second eliminations in mind. The timing software has been stable for years so maybe they don't have the expertise available at such short notice.
    If no one is mentioning the timing companies name then it's not like they are getting great publicity from F1 so would you risk you companies reputation if there was a problem on a rushed change to the software that would happen with so many people viewing all over the world. Granted the audience is lower but if quali was not time-able imagine the back lash!
    At least someone is stand up to FIA/Bernie and saying NO not on the time scales you want.
    The longer it is before the quali change happens the better for me. The whole point of the 90 sec is to mix up the grid artificially. i.e. someone looses a lap as too much traffic etc they are out.
    It's too artificial and the way they are going with wider cars with more aero the worse the racing is going to be. F1 is sadly in a downward spiral and Bernie doesn't seem to be able to pull it back out.

5. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The timing is the job of FOM. Which explains the issues in a nutshell.

6. Big Ern

yep, working out who is the slowest is far too difficult for them to do without computers. TBH this highlights how stupid mankind has become when he feels he must rely on a computer to do something most kids can do by ten

ched999uk likes this.
  7. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

Alonso's closing statement - this attitude to driving - shows why it's such a shame that we can't see him in a competitive car...

"Everyone had one-lap television coverage. It's simple. You do one lap, you brake late, maybe you start 15th because you miss a corner. There is some adrenaline on that lap as well."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35722163

EternalMSC, TopClass and ched999uk like this.
  8. ched999uk

Sounds like a very good idea. Also make cars go out in championship order. So track may get drier (could of course get wetter)or more rubbered in as session goes on to help slower cars :)

EternalMSC likes this.
  9. Big Ern

that's a very reasonable solution.

it has no chance.

10. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I liked the idea of the 1 lap quali format, but it doesn't particularly make for great viewing.

11. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Why not? Adrenaline of drivers and their fans would be through the roof.

12. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

Get rid of practice 3 and have the current qualifying setup instead. Then in the afternoon have a one at a time session on race fuels. Combine the times.

All the ideas at the same time :)

13. Smithers

Forum Moderator

We had it before and I don't recall it being edge of the seat stuff for the viewer, although I'm sure it is for the driver. A lot of the atmosphere if F1 is the noise factor and you don't get that with one car on track at a time.

14. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

The one lap system is inherently flawed, if it rains halfway through the session half the grid get ****ed and there's absolutely nothing they could have done to prevent it. The whole point of qualifying is to give everyone equal opportunity to secure a strong grid position. 90% of the time the pressure of the current format is exactly the same, in that the driver has one shot for pole, it's rarely secured on a driver's first flying lap.

15. ched999uk

I think that's why I like the idea. It has the ability to shake up the grid in a completely non predictable way. The cars are generally so reliable teams are rarely out of place so it is quite often a procession.
    You are right though, in that the whole point of the current qualifying system is to give each driver an equal opportunity to get a good grid position. The other thing the current system does is enable drivers to 'mess' up others quali run and receive a penalty for it, but the hindered driver has not had an equal opportunity to qualify so might not be in their rightful position.

I suppose it all boils down to balancing the entertainment against the sport. Then again it's not like the teams all have equal budgets.

Quali is a difficult one as are the whole rules and budgets etc.....

EternalMSC likes this.
  16. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

New broadcasters C4 better hit the ground running this season with all these changes. Good Luck to them!

17. Smithers

Forum Moderator

What is the aim of qualifying, is it to establish what is the fastest car/driver combination or is it to randomise the grid to impact faster drivers in the race?

If its to randomise the grid then you have to remove any form of estimation and calculation by the teams/drivers, so reverse grids, quali races etc. are immediately out because they can be manipulated. The only way you can restructure the grid to falsely make the faster cars start further down the grid without it being manipulated is to start them in reverse championship order. The problem with this is two fold; firstly it is inherently unsporting and goes against the ethos of the sport and secondly it would remove any quali format meaning the "show" that Bernie tries to conduct would not exist.

If its the fastest car/driver combo then the current format is pretty much there, however, I would argue that having a fixed quali period where any car can go on track at any time is both the fairest and predictable way of establishing pole position. The "show" will argue that everyone will sit and wait until optimum conditions are available making it a rather dull spectacle until the final moments. Ironic considering the "show" has failed to realise that currently the most exciting part of race day is the start and they ruined that by creating a safe sex, alcohol free exhaust note so as not to disturb hibernating bears thousands of miles away!

Maybe an option would be that the qualifying hour is split into 4 x 15 sessions and your quali laps from each session are added together? Obviously the driver with the lowest average or total would be the pole sitter. This would mean that all cars would be on track for the full hour creating a competitive atmosphere and traffic will randomise certain runs meaning that there will always be a margin for error. Maybe you stipulate that they have to run a minimum of 3 compounds in the hour so it will show a true reflection of car and driver strength?

It would ensure;
    • That everyone would be on track throughout the hour.
    • The top teams would have to set quick times in every session as opposed to just beating the slowest team in a knock out format.
    • We would see slower teams benefit from track evolution and additional running for development.
    • It would potentially challenge reliability further.
    • There would be an element of random results based on traffic and car characteristics on a multitude of compounds rather than just the fastest compound.
    • It would reward the team/driver who was consistently fast rather than the lottery of 1 lap.
    • It would engage fans throughout the hour because the grid positions would be reliant on all times.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    TopClass likes this.
  18. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

This is a disaster

Big Ern likes this.
  19. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Big Ern and Number 1 Jasper like this.