1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Qualifying Format 2016

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by eddie_squidd, Feb 23, 2016.

1. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Winner of the previous race has to carry a bucket of water on top of their car.

SgtBhaji and BrightLampShade like this.
  2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lap time aren't scrubbed off every 90 seconds, as far as I'm aware. So you get 6 minutes at the start to put in a banker, then if you're in trouble 90 seconds at a time to try and get out of the drop zone. So Q1 will be a manic opening 6 minutes as everyone needs to do a lap, then those in the box seats sit in the garage until they get worried. Pretty much as it is now, but the big teams can't just wait until the end of the session and take advantage of track evolution. Probably means most drivers needing to do two runs per session, which will make the tyre situation more complex.

3. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Given teams have probably already selected their Melbourne tyres I wonder if this change will ruin some teams plans?

ched999uk likes this.
  4. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

I am just going to wait till the funny moment David Croft tries to explain the process of quali/tyres, with Karun Chandok next to him.

5. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

6. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

This is going to mess with the tyres they have left for the race. This combined with the changes to tyre choice is going to be interesting for the first few races.
    The teams software people will be burning the midnight oil developing live simulators for the pit wall strategists. That on top of them optimising the PU energy harvest and deployment etc...
    It's all going to be fun for first few races...

7. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Give everyone a couple of sets of tyres, 6 flying laps and an hour to set their times. Don't over complicate matters.

EternalMSC likes this.
  8. EternalMSC

Whatever they do. The fastest will qualify first and the ****test will be last.

I am rather being seduced by the sprint race/reversed grid format for a second gp on a Sunday. Maybe for half points?

9. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

It's not going to be introduced until Barcelona now because they don't have software for it yet. Ridiculous. If it isn't ready they should defer it until net season not change it part way through the season.

EternalMSC, Smithers and DHCanary like this.
  10. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Apperently it's going to take FOM a long time to write a simple piece of software. I guess the issue is that they can't work out how to make money from it?

11. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Utterly ridiculous to get nearly a quarter of the way through a competition then change the rules, what other sport does that? Complete farce.

EternalMSC likes this.
  12. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

F1 in 2016
    • Take something that ain't broke
    • Decide to fix it
    • Agree a solution that's confusing and of dubious benefit
    • Realise it can't be implemented
    • Prioritise it so highly that it must be implemented part-way through the season
    • Pat selves on back, for being proactive and getting things done for the good of the fans.

All this for something that ain't broke.

13. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I think they should run the season as normal, then, at the end, work out how many total laps each driver has done, including practice and quali, then work out the highest prime factors of that lap count total. whichever driver has the highest prime factors should be given the WDC.
    Nice n simple,.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  14. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Hillarious. :D

Christ... I have never been this disinterested at the start of start of a new F1 season... and now they're talking about making it more farcical.

Can we just cancel this season entirely, rip up the entire sport and start from scratch?

EternalMSC likes this.
  15. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Collectively there is some of the greatest engineering minds involved with decisions like this!

16. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

That's what they said when they built the Titanic.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  17. EternalMSC

Killing the sport. I'm scraping the barrel with my enthusiasm after hearing about these stupid changes.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  18. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Bloody committees. Only decision that gets passed are the ones no one objects to. Why on earth did no one object to this stupid 90 sec and out system? Makes you wonder what other hair brain quali schemes did Bernie come up with if this was the east objectionable???

Also did anyone else read FOM ordered Grosjean to remove footage he had taken at the testing sessions after it had had over 1 million views!!!! They are mad, ok don't allow F1 race and quali clips but a driver posting footage at testing, come on how could that do FOM any harm?

19. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I was sitting on the fence with this change but now listening to this: what an embarrassment

This is why new rules should be discussed and agreed on the season before not a few weeks before.

20. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

You think? If they got the engineers involved this wouldn't be happening. It's the business ****heads like Ecclestone, Horner, Wolff and Dennis who are responsible for all this crap.