1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New owner confirmed…

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Hutch-tiger69, May 30, 2016.

1. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Allam claimed we had been Hull Tigers since 1904 in response to chants about being Hull City since 1904.
    It is his way of having a dig.
    I would be quite happy with just a tiger on the shirt. We never had Hull City mentionexon a shirt for the first 74 years of our existence. Wolves seem to cope without the team name on. Like ourselves it is self explanatory.

2. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

Wolves is the team name, or an abbreviation of it. Their nickname is the Wanderers.

3. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

The 1 904 presence on the crest was a smart arsed attempt by a previous marketing manager to hijack the “we are Hull City, since 1904” chant that was prevalent at the time. Like practically everything that the club does to try and be seen to do things for fans without doing what fans ask for, it backfired totally.

west stand stiffs likes this.
  4. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

Really? Are you sure?

5. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Their nickname is Wolves, absolutely nobody calls them the Wanderers.

mplooney likes this.
  6. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Ignoring the fact that the whole convoluted process is a farce, the new badge has been decided and will be announced in the new year, as was always the case.

7. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

There's a reason we want Hull City AFC on the shirt. That reason is Allam. It's way too late to compromise.

FILEYseadog likes this.
  8. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

Absolutely no one?

It does look like they alternate between Wanderers and Wolves. One of only a few clubs with their nickname in their playing name. With spurs and probably a few others.
    please log in to view this image

9. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

They seem to have given up on the whole charade of consultation about it anyway , maybe they think the job is done
    of distracting from the lack of concessions and the vote on that

10. Barchullona

Their team name is Wolverhampton Wandererers. Often referred to as Wolves or Wanderers.
    A head of the animal is enough for all but the dimmest to realise which club it is, the Wolves. Just a tiger's head is sufficient for a team whose nickname is the Tigers.

SydneyTiger14 likes this.

11. Barchullona

Spurs and Wolves are abbreviation which became their nickname. A bit like shortening Hull City to Hull City Tigers.

12. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

A potted history of Wolverhampton Wanderers nicknames...

'In terms of the media, there has been such a lengthy preference for 'Wolves ' over Wolverhampton Wanderers that the use of the latter, together with the foreshortened Wanderers, has become somewhat semi-obsolete and archaic. In fact, it is only really Wolves fans, through their use of a great many terrace songs that consistently namechecks Wolverhampton Wanderers and Wanderers, that keeps those two names alive - although that's more to do with the fact that Wolverhampton Wanderers and Wanderers fit the songs more seamlessly, rather than any particular preference or revisionism as such.

In addition to the first reference to 'Wolves', I wonder at what stage the predominance of 'Wolves' generally occurred? Again, there would need to be thorough research in order to try and establish that fact. As mentioned above in my previous post, the team were overwhelmingly referred to as 'the Wanderers' in local newspaper reports of the 1889 FA Cup Semi-final replay and Final. I'd be interested to read reports into our 1893 and 1896 finals because, by the time of the 1908 Final, if a contemporary Daily Mirror report is anything to go by, references to 'Wolves' (or, to be specific, 'the Wolves') had gained virtually complete domination over any other form.

So, it would seem that the preference for 'Wolves' took root over a century ago and quickly became the norm. Wolverhampton Wanderers and it's earliest nomlacature Wanderers was gradually eroded and our distinctive nickname ultimately prevailed, identifying and defining the club with a powerful, iconic and enduring name over many subsequent generations. We are Wolves indeed'.

13. Barchullona

What are the thoughts on what the winning design will be?

14. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It is done, people voted, the panel decided the final version and it's now finished. **** knows what we'll end up with, but whatever it is, it's decided already.

15. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Assuming they haven't completely ignored what people voted for (and there's obviously a chance they will, though Vicky denies this), then it will have the current tiger on it, along with 'Hull City'.

16. Barchullona

Grew up with a lad born here, happy lad when he was 10 or so late 50s early 60s, but whose family were from Wolverhampton who moved there in his 20s to be able to support them more. Get a few drinks down him and he would burst into " Wonderful, wonderful, Wolverhampton" to the tune of the song about Copenhagen. Haven't seen him for years but wonder if he is still about and going.

17. Barchullona

Most people will be happy with that. And totally unsurprised at what won. If, as you say, they don't ignore it.

PLT likes this.
  18. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

Nah..... I’ve heard Bolton called the wanderers.
    Wolves is Wolverhampton’s nick name, not wanderers

19. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

I wonder if enough people voted for the vote to count.

I wonder if they will ever release, fully, the details of the vote (or previous votes).

I wonder if they'll cheat to get the result they want.

I wonder if they’ll lie about the result being true, fair & transparent.

I wonder if you can ever trust anything that comes out of the club to be true, fair & transparent.

I wonder if the rancid hate, dishonesty, lies & bullying runs through all their businesses & not just our Club.

I wonder how much money gets laundered out of, & into, the Middle East & North East Africa annually.

I digress, sorry, back to the club

I wonder if they’ll ever sell.

20. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

No
    No
    Yes
    Yes
    No
    Maybe
    Don't know
    We live in hope, but don't hold your breath