1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours New manager suggestions?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by SuffolkCanary, Dec 27, 2022.

1. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

As it is being widely reported now, just awaiting official communication from the club, that Dean Smith has been sacked from his position as Norwich City manager. Who would everyone like to see next? Just throw some names into the ring to be debated. I think it is unlikely that it will be anyone currently in a job.

2. SuffolkCanary

Both Mark Robins and Russel Martin would be largely supported by fans but I think doubtful

3. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

We were linked with Kjetil Knutsen, before? might be worth a punt.

4. SuffolkCanary

Sean Dyche? Able to work within the budget, apparently he isn’t as one dimensional as his time was at Burnley.

Hassenhutl is available

5. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Might be controversial, but I wouldn’t be averse to Scott Parker

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  6. woodbine

He seems good at championship level, but another one who can't step up to the next level.

7. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Whoever it is, I don't think we should rush into an appointment too hastily. Smiths departure was inevitable: we have seen it all before. We could do with some American investment or has he already put his hand in his pocket?

SuffolkCanary and GozoCanary like this.
  8. SuffolkCanary

It’s a no from me but I’d still back him if he did get the job

Canary Rob and carrowcanario like this.
  9. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Totally agree. If necessary, we write off this season and make sure the decisions we make this season are the correct ones. The problem for me is that I don't trust Webber to make the right recruitment decisions any more. But I can't do anything and just have to hope he will. (Although personally I would like the club to appoint a new DoF who makes the final decision on a permanent new manager. Webber has made it clear he isn't going to stick around much longer anyway, so I want someone who is committed to our future to make the decision, not someone who's going to abandon ship pretty soon.)

Ironically, my preference for writing off this season puts me quite close to Robbie's stated position that we shouldn't aim for promotion until next season. Strange bedfellows, as they say.

10. Rowdy

Rowdy Active Member

Gerrard? Parker? Dyche? Martin? Or will we go for another random?

11. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

His sacking begs the question what did DS do or not do to make the players play in such a disjointed manner?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
    Canary Spring likes this.
  12. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sebastian Hoeneß
    Norwich City haven’t been afraid to appoint foreign coaches in recent years, specifically dipping into Germany for promising coaches. Hoeneß, who left Hoffenheim in the summer, would certainly fit that profile.

The former Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig youth coach endured a respectable two years with Hoffenheim and looks to play brave, attacking football. After such poor displays under Smith, the 40-year-old’s play style could be a breath of fresh air at Carrow Road after such a difficult 2022.

https://the72.co.uk/2022/12/27/3-ou...d-consider-after-reported-dean-smith-sacking/

13. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

14. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think with both these managers, their success in their last roles was based on a 4-4-2 or 4-2-2-2 system, which really require wide midfielders. Even if we can recall loanees, Onel, Tzolis, Rashica, Placheta aren't an embarrassment of riches in that part of the pitch. No idea how flexible they are as managers, but my fear is anyone coming in and wanting to play that way will struggle.

Given the club finances, I think we need a manager who can work with what we have, and also probably turn someone into a £30m summer sale just to finance another championship season.

I think that means building around Aarons, Sargent, Omobamidele, Cantwell if he'll sign a contract. Aarons probably as a wing back to get him putting up goals/assists to attract attention. There's not a market for tidy full backs who can't handle headers.

Putting that together, we're perhaps best suited to a 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 system? Or a midfield diamond?

Gunn
    Hanley Gibson Omobamidele
    Aarons Hayden Nunez Giannoulis
    Cantwell
    Pukki Sargent

Byram and Tomlinson is probably enough CB cover for a back 3, a signing wouldn't go amiss.

McCallum is well suited to LWB, good competition there.

Gibbs covers Hayden, with McLean, Sara hopefully competing.

Cantwell, Ramsay, Dowell, Sinani compete for the 10 role, hopefully someone emerges as first choice. A more solid third midfielder could be an option in tougher games.

Idah, Hugill, Sinani hopefully enough cover up top.

I'm not sure who plays that way, that rather degenerated into my own theories!

15. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Teemu player manager?

16. SuffolkCanary

I like this as a bit of a left field option

17. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

Is a mid-winter holiday in Gozo part of the package?

18. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Your 'own theories' are always welcome DH. I agree with a back 3 being the best option for our CBs and the FBs as WBs, with Hayden and another more creative CM (or two, if a 3-5-2 is the choice). Hayden and Gibbs look more like hybrid DM/8 options than an outright DMs and that would suit this strategy.

19. woodbine

I wouldn't be excited if it was Parker or Russell, of course I'd support them if they come in, though.

20. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

We should stop worrying about whether the next Manager is capable of performing miracles in the Premiership - the chances of us getting there in the next few years are remote. Please also stop deciding whether we should bother with Promotion this year or just bother with it next year. We are, as a Club, struggling, we are in the most competitive league in the world, there are far bigger Clubs already in this league meaning that getting Promotion is not a formality for anyone. Sean Dyche is the obvious outstanding candidate but they don't always work - Dean Smith was the obvious outstanding candidate last time - say no more!! We have to get this appointment right otherwise we face real problems. Bad appointments before Lambert arrived left us in the third tier and the same sort of thing happened to us following the departure of Archie McCaulay in 1961 leading to the most dire 10 years in our history only rescued by the arrival of the great Ron Saunders. We now need another Manager with the determination and work ethic of that man.

Bure budgie and SuffolkCanary like this.