1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New captain

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Febbos, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Febbos

Febbos Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

HULL CITY CAN CONFIRM RICHIE SMALLWOOD HAS BEEN APPOINTED AS CLUB CAPTAIN FOR THE 2020/21 SEASON.
    The 29-year-old midfielder joined the Tigers on a two-year deal earlier this month following his release by Blackburn Rovers.

An experienced figure, Redcar-born Smallwood has made over 300 career appearances and twice won promotion from League One.

He was an ever-present as Rovers finished runners-up in 2017/18 and scored the winning penalty for Rotherham in the 2013/14 play-off final penalty shoot-out victory over Leyton Orient.

On the decision to hand Smallwood the captain’s armband, Head Coach Grant McCann said: “Richie is a leader. His experience is hugely valuable and how he handles himself on and off the pitch. We brought him to the Club because of what he’s done already at this level, promotions with Blackburn and Rotherham.

“I’ve watched him very carefully since he’s come in and the way he goes about his job every single day is a pleasure to see. The lad’s a warrior, he wants to win every single day in training, and he will guide the rest of this group.”

tigers1970 likes this.
  2. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Likely to put Jordy's nose out of joint? I remember Michael Dawson getting the captaincy when Curtis D probably thought he deserved it himself. CD was never the same after that imo.
    Or maybe Jordy's on his way out?

3. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Says club captain, can be different to team captain.
    But ye jordy will be off

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  4. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

Wonder if that signals the conclusion / extent of us bringing in experience & leaders?
    If more experience & leaders are coming in, wouldnt you hang fire a little longer before deciding on the captain?
    If that is ito, then its worrying. Along with the fact that signings have dried up yet we lost a shed load of players in the last few months.
    Have harsh lessons really be learnt? The next few weeks will tell.
    Tbh, after 'a promising early flurry of activity, i'm now starting to feel as though **** all has changed on or off the pitch.

highpeak tiger likes this.
  5. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head.