1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Captain

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by KingHotspur, Sep 15, 2014.

1. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A certain Belgian, perhaps? Wasn't in the team against Sunderland either, though I don't remember any injury update.

3. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Surprised, TBH. But, as PNP alludes to, if the self absorbed Belgian is on his bike, the we'll need a match fit Kaboul.

4. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

I believe the Tottenham twitter reported he has a "minor muscle injury".

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Is it in his writing hand, SC? <laugh>

6. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

The fact that 3 players are named ahead of Vetonghen ( and that one of them is Adebayor), should be enough to tell all of you what a complete prat, Vertonghen is.

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Interesting decision to put Adebayor in there. Might be a touch of the Redknapp arm round the shoulder tactics to get the best out of him.
    Something of a turnaround from this time last season, when he couldn't get anywhere near the squad and was training with the kids, IIRC.

8. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Unfortunately think kaboul is on the downside of his career....but I would rather he or any other player not called vertongen to be our captain...the selfish twat should have been sold imo

9. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

The choices make sense to me as an attempt to promote leadership by three of the team's key veterans. Kaboul's form had been poor, but he was better Saturday.

10. Personally, I would have given the armband to the mascot.

11. OnlyOneDB

OnlyOneDB Well-Known Member

Lennon????

12. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

Lennon,played 350 league games and scored 26 goals

13. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Kaboul's had some real shockers lately, not too pleased with him getting the armband, despite him coming off as a good guy.

14. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Hopefully the manager is seeing something in Training that suggests he is getting better. Against Schalke (my only game at the Lane so far this season) Kaboul was excellent, so possibly it is coming together. He seems able to play more games than last year.

15. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

Dodgy as Kaboul's been it's still very possible to argue that he's our best defender - that's the worry.

On this subject can anyone explain to me why Chiriches kept turning up in the final third 15 mins from the end of a game that we were winning 2-1 at the weekend? So unnecessary. But I guess that "unnecessary" is just part of the guy's style. Bloody annoying at times. Great to have a CB who's decent on the ball but enfuriaying when they want to prove this fact as much as they want to defend.

16. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Dier did the same against the Spammers, so maybe it's part of Poch's tactics...or maybe it's the tactics for when we need a goal, but Chiriches forgot that part?

17. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Dier was playing right back by that time.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Congratulations to Younes, although his form has been dodgy as f** for a while now, he is on his day a superb defender and maybe Poch believes he'll get back to his best, especially with the responsibility of being the undisputed leader of the team now. Lloris being vice makes sense where as Ade is a strange one, though could work out well. I don't think Ade has ever been a captain at any of his previous sides, not even a stand-in, so this sort of responsibility of being a true senior figurehead now could see him elevate his game, he's always been seen as a player that needed to the trust and "arm round the shoulder" treatment from a manager and I can't see a much bigger sign of that than Poch giving him so much responsibility now, clearly favoured by Mauricio. Vertonghen not being selected at all backs up Spurcat's point in regards to him being a t**t. All of us lot, or at least I think all of us lot thought he'd be a front runner for the role and especially a vice captain if he weren't the main man but clearly Poch doesn't feel he has the right attitude and qualities to lead this club. Here's hopefully he just gets back to his debut season's form now though, as leader or not, he was borderline world class that season.

The thing that really annoys me with Vlad is that he tries dribbling the ball outside of our box when surrounded by opposition, just clear it! I have no problem with him bombing forward when we're in attack as that's the philosophy Poch tends to have in terms of attacking in waves but when he's got opposition around him in our own area he gives me heart-in-mouth moments.