1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Neutral point of view

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Aber pal - agree it's very early days, but the old tart has already been out of the dressing room 7 times so far. The way it's going it won't take another 7 warmups to start the bitch warbling.

All we can do is stick with the club no matter who the owner, manager or players might be at any point in time.

That shouldn't stop us expressing opinions on a football forum though. In all honesty we know fck all about what's going on inside the club - we can only call things as we see it from the outside.

Criticising individuals on the pitch is all too easy and we all do it, but collectively this start to our season in the Prem has been poor.

Jay-Rede and suprimir like this.
  2. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

You spend to accumulate but spend wisely. Unfortunately our manager cannot do that consistently well.

He spent poorly at QPR which cost him his job.

He wasted a small fortune on Madine and Tomlin and in my opinion on this seasons performances also on Reid and Cunningham.

Easy to say in hindsight but it wasn’t rocket science to realise our championship defence was just that and needed some PL experience and pace. Etheridge after a fine start is now having a wobble.

Same applies to our midfield and attack. All save possibly Murphy are average championship players.

If the club wanted to have a decent chance of staying up it could have got better players at not stupid prices but it seems NW was either not allowed to or he couldn’t source or entice players to come.

Examples. Surely Jay Rodriguez or Hourahane or Pieters or Allen or Chester or Gayle or Livermore or Huddleston or Dawson or Flint etc could have been approached as they’d have been ideal. All presumably had relegation releases.

3. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Anyone watch that Bournemouth/Palace game last night? Drove back home yesterday, emptied the car and switched on the box for a bit of relaxation. Glad I did - flicked on to Sky MNF and what a great game between two alleged "bottom half" clubs that left me feeling a bit sick to be honest.

Both sides were quick, full of enterprise with slick neat passing that left me wondering quite how we're going to cope with that level the way they played. Let's be honest, we've already been shown the door by Bournemouth and Palace looked as good as them - it could have gone either way last night.

If we're going to get anything from these "poorer" sides we'll have to sharpen up our play on the ball or have to rely on grunt and set piece plays for goals because we're not on the same page footballing wise as these clubs.

Burnley were the worst I've seen in the Prem this season and we couldn't shake them off. 10 man Newcastle and Huddersfield werent much better and we failed to put them away. Long season coming up unless there's a sea change at the club.

What can we do about it now? No idea. We made our decisions in the summer and are stuck with it. This needs a re-think at management level - hope Warnock & Co have got some ideas.

4. swans-m

swans-m Well-Known Member

Been keeping an eye on you boys this season to see how your team copes with the rigours of the prem. From what I've seen so far, it brings a painful reminder of what our last 3 years in the prem were like.

The first 4 years we had were great, but i feel that was due to going out there and playing without fear. If we went down, so be it, but we go down fighting and try to beat every team we play. The last 3 years for us was as if we were terrified of losing games. Playing for draws at home to the big boys, apprehensive in attack against smaller teams as we feared leaving gaps at the back. It worked in the short term for 2 seasons, but it was dire to watch and inevitably sucked all the atmosphere out of the stadium. We may lose more games by going at teams, but we certainly won more. Your current style seems to be to draw your way to safety with hopefully picking up a few wins in between. It just doesn't work.

If you knew how bad Huddersfield and Newcastle were going to be this season, would you still have taken a draw? Probably not, but at the time I read a lot of posts stating you would be happy with a point. The mentality at the whole club seems to need a change, and I don't think Warnock is the man to bring that about. I can't ever say I've witnessed a team he's managed that has played fast attacking football, capable of opening teams up. If Bournemouth, Palace and Watford can do it, there's no reason Cardiff can't.

blueturk the cat and Jay-Rede like this.
  5. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

Cracking post. Cheers mate. This is my point. Most teams who have gone up in recent years have managed to stay up. It's finding a formula that works and I don't think we have it. I'm not gutted about it as honestly it was a free season for us. No one expected a (lets be honest here) mid table quality Championship side to finish 2nd in the league, and the "experts" are rightfully predicting us to shoot straight back down.

Investment in January is a MUST.

swans-m likes this.
  6. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Hmmm...not the first time you’ve gone down big boy eh pal? :emoticon-0103-cool:

7. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Aber normally has a mouthful to say.

Sometimes hard to swallow.

#LindaLovelacefan

8. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

I am still here you know......anyway I’ve never been a spitter......my mother’s fault telling never waste good protein when it’s on offer.....saves eating that evening keeping costs low and living within my means.......lurker must be about 25 stone the greedy fat twat

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  9. ninian opinion

I have said on here before how I’d love to watch a team like Bournemouth or Watford week in week out but that’s a pipe dream.

It is a sobering thought that 3 out of the last 4 managers we’ve had have been negative minded defence first and foremost since the cavalier style of Jones.

10. aberdude

It could be worse we could have jose managing us

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

For all Neil's front of camera jocular stuff, he looks uncomfortable. Whilst he wouldn't admit it, the positive buzz of last season seems to have morphed into an acceptance that we're out of our depth. I get the feeling having got here, he now doesn't want to be here.

To say publicly he prefers the Championship to the Premier League has a such a negative spin. It seems like he's preparing the ground for the inevitable to have a go for his 9th promotion next year.

Only an opinion of course, and we may find enough worse teams in the league to save us, but the evidence so far isn't promising. We need others to fail.

12. aberdude

I think he’s speaking truths when saying he prefers the championship.......who the fk enjoys not competing in whatever division you are in.........my fears were washed away when we didn’t do a Fulham now that’s a position I wouldn’t want our club in again.....another example has gotta be Swansea for all the years they said they creamed it staying in the prem they got fk all 2 show for it and are back to where they were before prem football.........SKINT

Just my opinion

13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I agree he was speaking truths aber - that's just what I meant. No pleasure in struggling against effectively the world's best when you're not equipped to compete.

No one wants to see a boom and bust scenario back at City - God knows we've seen enough in the past with ourselves and the Jacks.

I just doubt we've given ourselves a decent chance of staying up with our summer dealings. We were never going to compete with the top 6 or 7 clubs but there another dozen clubs up here who were/are vulnerable. We might do it and with a few runs of the ball for us, it can all come together - just saying we've made it harder than it needed be.

Just going to babble on a bit about that. :emoticon-0105-wink:

The summer transfer window especially with the knowledge of the Prem money coming in all honesty was a disaster. It's almost as if he wanted to reward the players who got us up with some Prem game time rather than being ruthless.

Typical of that was the farce over Grujic. Far too much time was wasted in chasing him only to get kicked in the teeth at the 11th hour. The eventual two loanees Camarasa and Arter were last minute deals done at the death and thank God for that otherwise we'd be relying on Gunnar in the middle who hasn't kicked a ball yet. IMO, another mistake re-signing him for old time's sake.

14. ninian opinion

What decent players would want to sign for a rock bottom club halfway through a season?

The time for investment was July.

15. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

There's a piece on Wales Online today that lists several City players wages.

IF it's true then I reckon it's a good pointer as to where we are in the pecking order of things as I wouldn't mind betting that even the perceived weaker/smaller Prem clubs are paying much higher salaries than us.

I'm definitely with Aber on this one. So be it if we go straight back down... there's no shame in not pushing the finances too far for the small chance of getting the "glory" of finishing 17th or higher...

It'd be nice to stay up but being in a position where it's not vital is much much nicer!!!

suprimir likes this.
  16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Brizz - it's a question of degree - no one is suggesting that coming up we should have spent a fortune like Fulham. I agree going down won't be the end of the world as we know it. In fact I'd rather go down having not spent a fortune an than go down having spent one, but that's not the point.

The hard work getting up here has been done. I can't go with the notion that it'll be easier getting back up next year having kept the Prem money on ice rather than utilising a reasonable amount of it to give us a better chance of staying here.

In the summer it looked like there were a dozen sides up here who were "relegation targets" and we were obviously one of them. On a level playing field I'd have backed us to find at least three who we could see finish below us.

The problem was that apart from Wolves and Fulham who came up with us (and have subsequently spent big), all the rest had at least a season's experience up here and had worked out what they needed to do to stay up.

Our pathetic summer dealings have shifted the balance heavily away from us to the extent that just 7 games in and just at the end of September, Warnock is now talking to the media about bringing in 2 or 3 new players in January - WTF is that all about? <doh>

17. ninian opinion

I reiterate: what sort of players would be firstly available and secondly would want to be in a relegation situation?

The time for this was July.

I can’t believe NW thought his over achieving championship squad with a few championship additions would be able to compete in enough games to achieve survival.

Either he was told how much he could spend on WAGES (not transfer fees) and the players he needed were therefore out of reach or he was just deluded.

18. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

As Nin said, I would imagine NW was following orders. He stated we offered £5 million for a player who was eventually bought for £25 million. Says it all really.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  19. Sayer77

Sayer77 Active Member

I may be way off track here but I can't see any serious investment in a squad capable of staying in the premier league until Tan delivers his promise of making the club debt free.

20. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

Yeah, we shouldn't forget that it was not long ago we were fearing administration and VT steadied the ship by funding us with his own cash. I believe this is his chance to see the club financially stable and he doesn't want to jeopardize that. I guess, I can understand this especially if the squad we have can then get us re-promoted. In the end it all sounds quite logical.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.