1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Naughty Naughty

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by The Gills PegLeg, Jun 3, 2019.

1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

In light of the Q&A tomorrow I've been doing some reading up on how many touchline bans our new management team have amounted. Ignoring whatever happened at Boston, since 2008 I've managed to count up at least 22 matches (possibly 24 depending on what site you read) that Evans & Raynor have received touchline bans for (20 for Evans, 2 for Raynor). That's almost half a league season in bans! This is of course the evidence I could find on the internet however it is plausible there were others as finding info on Raynor was particularly difficult.

Bans were as follows:

Steve Evans:
    August 2008 (Crawley Town Boss) Handed a 2 game ban for being sent to the stand 6 times. Then had an appeal rejected which resulted in an 10 game ban (argued that he served twelve games on some sites but consensus seems to be ten)
    10th September 2012 (Rotherham Boss) 6 match stadium ban from an incident that occurred in March 2012 whilst manager of Crawley Town
    January 2018 (Peterborough Boss) 4 match ban which comes into effect at Gills

Paul Raynor:
    29th March 2017 (Mansfield Assistant) 1 Match Touchline Ban
    22nd September 2018 (Peterborough Assistant) 1 Match Touchline Ban

I wonder if a certain @brb will be bringing this up tomorrow? <laugh>

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

Bit ironic really, on one hand we have the Chairman writing about certain sections of supporters, while in the next breath within the same letter he has employed an individual that is very boisterous with his language. Funny ole world eh!

alwaysright likes this.
  3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

And in view of the toxic nature of Evans relationship with past Gills personnel AND, of course, the fans, is exactly why people are not going to invite Evans around for Christmas** dinner. Evans might have the passion I like to see in a manager - but he has no tact and diplomacy or dignity required as a businessman (( ok - you can add Scally into that equation ))
    ** is it too early to use the ' C ' word ?(( he might not last long enough to buy a Gills Advent calendar .)) (( we'll see tomorrow night ))

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    brb likes this.
  4. The Gills PegLeg

The six game ban he received was for hurling abuse at a Female member of the Bradford City staff and the Police had to be called over said incident. Not at all good reading frankly.

alwaysright and brb like this.
  5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The game you mention was just one of those fiery matches, 5 players were shown a red card after a fight in the changing rooms, Evans had problems during the match with a female steward.

I, like most, had reservations about the appointment of Steve Evans, however, in hindsight I am thinking he has served his punishment.
    One of his well published convictions was for improper payments to players, I'm pretty sure that he didn't make these payments out of his own pocket, his actual crime was knowing of the existence of the payments.

I vote for giving him a chance, you never know it might just work.

6. The Gills PegLeg

Whilst he may have had a problem with her, for whatever reason he still shouldn't have hurled untoward abuse at her regardless of the scenario. He's a figure in the public eye representing a football club, frankly he should know better and the fact he's starting with a four match ban suggests he's unable to learn from his mistakes and I have no doubt someone will bring it up tonight.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    brb likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

I went along last night (pegleg stop laughing at the back) and I think all the questions were asked in one form or another. I felt the atmosphere was surprisingly very supportive of Steve Evans or more so had an air of positivity about it, and that seemed to be the main theme throughout the night. I didn't really like the presenter or whatever, but he had a job to do and did it well, although I found him more annoying than Evans - No your jokes were not funny and you need to take your head out your own backside....but as I say he was effective at controlling the mood.

Did the open mic night make me feel any better as a supporter; No, but it is what it is and I support the club not the man. I do however feel he will bring a bit of passion back to our club - it was all very simple for me taking away the complexities, he praised Barry Fuller and Charles-Cook, that's always a plus in my book, see I'm a very easily pleased man. We need to make Priestfield a fortress again and as was said a hostile place for visiting teams to come. We can do this but we all need to be in it together and not pulling and complaining in different directions.

Do i like Evans, NO - Will he change, will he heck, NO - Can we do well under him, maybe or gone by Christmas.

Up the Gills.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  8. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I too went last night. I share brb's observations. The open mic was a flop -- did they not think to test the equipment ? Did Evans not realise that Plymouth is in L2 next season ?
    I hope that Evans can use his passion for the good of the Club. With regards to the question of why Gills fans 'hate' him - this was quickly 'skirted over'. Evans defending his position as manager of an opposing team. He said that Andy Hessenthaler called him a "Scottish B ." Evans also says that he and Hessenthaler are now friends. ---- OK - that's their business - and I suppose that Gills fans need to accept that the hatchet has been buried (( I know where I would have placed it -- as I see it, I find it difficult to merely dismiss the issue concerning an established Club legend. ))
    I wasn't impressed with Evans mitigation regarding his conviction for tax fraud. He tried to claim a small part in the crime - about which he knew - but wasn't prepared to "grass up". Message to Mr. Evans --- That is cheating - you were part of the robbery even if you were only the 'look-out man.' -- and I think everyone here knows what I feel about cheating.
    Having said that I will support his passion - but, I will not want him to bring the good name of GFC into disrepute.

brb likes this.
  9. The Gills PegLeg

Still going to reserve judgement on the man. If he brings us success then fair play I will hold my hands up. I wasn't overly happy when we gave the job to Mad Dog and that worked out. I also wasn't happy when we gave Pennock a permanent contract and that was a disaster so it remains to be seen.

One positive I can take away from last night is that both him and Raynor had already identified the flaws to our team from last season, and will hopefully have an idea to rectify it.

grumpygit, alwaysright and brb like this.
  10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Ade, PT.SL, Three very nice men yet all struggled to improve our team, maybe we need that little bit of nastiness in our manager to succeed.

brb likes this.