1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nathan Jones

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 25, 2018.

1. brb

brb CR250

Not very complimentary of us. If you want to see him really put the boot in skip to 3:15 - but it is worth listening from the beginning of the interview.

One dimensional, League Two game!

Well the positive(s) - we are getting in practise for next season <laugh>

2. brb

brb CR250

3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Censorship rules prevent me from saying what I think of Nathan Jones, suffice to say that a manager who has just achieved a 3 - 1 victory away from home doesn't normally need to disrespect the opposition.
    Whinging about penalties, disallowed goals, and the poor quality opponent's is the normal for losing managers, slagging of the other team after a good win shows him to be a total referee (referee is a way of saying what I really feel)

Oxford English Dictionary...……...referee = waynker.

Lord Sondes Clock and brb like this.
  4. brb

brb CR250

By the context of his interview, you would have thought his team had just lost 3-1. I would agree with you his comments are disrespectful, and i'm sure you know me well enough to know i posted it to create debate and see alwaysrights reaction of course <laugh>

However, not for the first time has an opposition manager made similar comments this season, i can't remember the last one, but i'm sure this is not the only time.

Did i really think we would beat Luton, NO! And with no RCC or Hanlan in the team the loss was a nailed on cert.

I don't know if anyone has realised, but as you all know i do my own research sometimes, and of our five wins this season, both RCC & Hanlan have been in the team, with the exception of Pompey where i think RCC was missing due to injury. Ok, I accept you can make stats whatever you want them to show, but even Lovell's comments published on the 14 September were...

Charles-Cook’s absence is of particular significance, having been the driving force behind Gills’ attacking play early on this season.

Lovell said: “Regan is a miss for us, because of the way we started, Billy Bingham is the same, both started really well in the first couple of games and the combination of those two in midfield was excellent, it allowed us to play a certain way.

But this comment is the most telling...

“Regan is a forward thinking player and created a lot for us. I don’t think we have another Regan in the football club. It may mean we have to play a different way, perhaps a way I don’t particularly like, but we have to adapt.”

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/setback-for-gabs-189689/

For me Eaves is the goal scorer but RCC is the engine room.

grumpygit likes this.
  5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I don't know if you were there yesterday but Oldaker coming on made a big difference.

6. brb

brb CR250

No, i wasn't but i was aware of his contribution. Hence why i went easy on him when he didn't floor their lad. <ok>

I think i saw he was coming in about 3rd of 4th on mom in Messenger ratings last night, i think 179 votes had been cast at that point.

7. brb

brb CR250

Just checked, 229 votes now and voting is....

Eaves 27%
    Fuller 26%
    Zak 9%
    Oldaker/Holy 7%

8. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Eaves scored a goal so people will always be influenced by that, I would put Fuller and Zakuani top, strange conceding 3 goals I know, Oldaker and Garmston next (and I don't normally rate Garmston) next would come Eaves and Holy.

brb likes this.
  9. brb

brb CR250

I would agree. I'm sure everyone remembers my past thoughts on one of our most prolific goal scorers Cody. One man don't make a team. Although having said that i feel Eaves does contribute more to the 'team' as a whole than Cody ever did in sense of pitch area coverage, much as we see with defenders sometimes.

10. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb ( you want my honest opinion )
    Jones could have been a little bit more gracious - but his comments were too close to the truth for comfort.
    His opinion about our ' style' of play is accurate ! - and let's be honest - I've said worse.
    Jones was correct about the penalty appeal - Zakuani well and truly manhandled the Luton forward. I shouldn't be surprised that the officials missed it -- maybe Jones could be honest enough to concede that most of the awful decisions went in Luton's favour.
    The simple truth is that Gills are in serious trouble. We might not like condemnation - but - we don't deserve any praise for our crap football.

itstimupnorth and brb like this.

11. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Always,
    I don't think anyone said his comments aren't accurate, just unnecessary, we as supporters are allowed to have those opinions but winning opposition managers are normally a little more gracious. Yes we play hoof it to Eaves as our only tactic, yes we are poor at creating good chances, yes our defence is 3rd or 4th worse in the league, we don't need a little weasel like him to rub it in.

brb likes this.
  12. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

grumpygit
    I totally agree - but I am struggling to defend The Gills at the moment - to the point that I can't actually criticise him for being crass

13. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

I've only seen the goals and read comments on the forums, but think that the fact that we had a long midweek away trip should also be taken into consideration. I'm guessing that part of the reason why Oldaker didn't start was because he gave so much at Hartlepool. I know he wasn't the only one, and several players started on Saturday who played the full 125+ minutes on Wednesday, but it's part of SL's job to decide who came out of that best, especially also after the long, presumably overnight, journey back. I can also only guess that RCC and Hanlan didn't start because they were less than impressive on Wednesday. The one player who I didn't rate from Wednesday who started yesterday was O'Neill. Yes, I know he scored a great goal, but if I had any say in things he'd have been taken off at half time, not Hanlan.

The general consensus seems to be that we try hard, but don't have the overall quality. Last year SL took a bunch of players about whom very similar things were being said on a long unbeaten run that ultimately kept us up. These are his players. He needs to start taking a bit of responsibility if HIS players aren't performing to the standard or game plans that HE surely determines.

14. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Funny thing is he and Lovell were both coaches at Charlton and thought they were friends. Maybe not