1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nathan Jones sacked as Saints er....."manager"

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Osvaldorama, Jan 4, 2023.

1. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Unfortunately that hope is like me hoping I win the lottery. Would be incredible but is never going to happen.

manxsaint likes this.
  2. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Genuinely never thought I’d see a worse manager at saints than Pellegrino.

But by god we’ve actually managed it.

LincolnSaint and manxsaint like this.
  3. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I've still got an open mind about NJ as it is still very early in his tenure (12 games). The results have been mixed and it's widely accepted that we are struggling to score goals from open play.
    Hopefully that will be rectified with the influx of attacking options and the narrow losses turn into a few more points gained. It does appear that many have already made their mind up about him which I think is a little unfair at this early stage but I honestly think that the players like him and that results and performances could well improve.
    I'm hoping that the fans will stick with the team and not personally abuse NJ because they will need all the support it can get for the next 4 months.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  4. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Too early to say. Pellegrino was really, really, really bad, so he set a very high bar in that regard. Jones might yet beat it, but I don't think we can say just yet.

5. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

I hope he turns it around. Every thread has a dark edge. Not sure I can take much more misery!

6. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

He's almost certainly here til at least the end of the season. So I'll wait until then to judge him, and see no point whatsoever in getting on his back in the meantime. It's that simple, really.

I backed Ralph right up to the end also, btw.

7. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Bang on!
    This thread reminds me of a hamster in a wheel.<laugh>

StJabbo1 and Archers Road like this.
  8. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

As did I, because we knew he had both hands tied behind his back, and he’d still at points managed to go on miraculous runs of form. He was/is a good manager.

I don’t know that you’ll need the rest of the season to work out whether Jones is suitable. I hope he turns it around (much as I can’t warm to him as an individual). I love this club, for all sorts of silly reasons, and in some ways we’re in the best position we’ve been in for many years. Hence why I fear that being wasted by having someone who may (or, indeed, may not) be incapable of making the most of it. Even his few supporters must think that the portents so far haven’t been great?

Here’s the rub for me. Southampton at their best, for many years, have been a high pressing, attacking, organised team. Hunting in packs, breaking forwards fast. That’s where we’ve seen success, from Poch through to Ralph. Where we’ve fallen over is when we’ve tried to contain, to focus on defending firstly from the back (rather than from the front). We aren’t that team. Never have been. Likely, with the players we have, never will be. Thank goodness. We’re not Dyche-era Burnley, basically.

My huge concern is that that is precisely the thing that Jones knows. It’s a Championship style mindset. He talks constantly about physical size and aggression. It’s Dyche-Burnley. It’s Crazy Gang Wimbledon. It also is completely ineffective in the modern era (bar one or two results) and, I will repeat, we are not that team. It’s why he loves Lyanco - aggression. It’s Championship football in the Premier League. Say goodbye to your league position stuff.

Hence why it pains me that we didn’t get someone in (and we could have done) who had that pressing, attacking, fast football mindset. But hey, we didn’t. We got Jones, and as you say, barring a miracle he’s here for the season.

Sadly, I very much suspect that we won’t be next season.

9. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

it’s still not exactly good. JJM was training with the first team, appeared on the bench on a couple of occasions under NJ and yet he is not his player.

Another example of him washing his hands of situations and any accountability of a situation which could be deemed as remotely negative.

garysfc likes this.
  10. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Bang on for me
    He talks a lot about effort, attitude and intensity and being all those things will get you so far up the pyramid in football and indeed life.

In football being more up for it than your opponent will win you the odd game in the top flight as well, but ultimately to reach the top you need to be organised, knowledgable and skilled.

Under NJ I worry about the short term and despair for the long term

11. West Kent Saint

I have to agree with the championship mindset thoughts. Crossed my mind too. At it’s worst it means our talent is underused or wrongly used so as he can play the style he knows like you say, as opposed to managing talent in a system that works with guile and aggression. We all want to win games, but a Dyche system does make my heart sink if that is ultimately the direction. I’m just personally fed up with the negativity. Clearly most of us despite our league position expected something else from SR, and we’ve gone from sort of grieving a what could of been Ralph to something we err didn’t expect!

Le Tissier's Laces likes this.
  12. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Nigel Adkins:

- Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard. But if talent works hard, and you're throwing out a bunch of mediocre grafters, you're almost certainly ****ed.

13. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

To everyone irritated by the constant berating of Jones, if he starts turning results around then opinions will change.

His current record is below par with the exception of one absolutely outstanding result.

However when the form and performances are poor overall he does himself absolutely no favours with the horrendous logic in his comments.

That however can be tolerated if he starts producing results.

Lose to Brentford and Wolves and I’m not sure there is much road left for either Jones or our PL status with the latter being our bigger concern.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    garysfc and manxsaint like this.
  14. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

Watching the Everton game at the moment, this is what you’d expect with the new manager bounce. Commitment, running and working hard, getting the fans right behind you, all after less than 1 week. We’re still waiting for that after 3 months <doh>:emoticon-0102-bigsm

15. Shandy_top_89

If Everton survive at our expense because they appointed the obvious best candidate for the job and we went for a wildcard that is absolutely on SRs collective head.

Spend on players is irrelevant if you make stupid decisions with managerial appointments.

LincolnSaint, Osvaldorama and garysfc like this.
  16. West Kent Saint

Well quite. Trying not to think how it could of been. Here’s hoping it can change.

Shandy_top_89 likes this.
  17. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

But Dyche has been in charge for a full 5 days. Jones has only had 3 months. He needs more time. <whistle>

LincolnSaint and Osvaldorama like this.
  18. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Seeing as we had a huge gap due to the World Cup didn’t help

19. Shandy_top_89

You could put it that way, or you could say he basically had a full pre season and therefore it is even less of an excuse.

20. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Pre season without signings?