1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nathan Dyer.

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by neveroffsidereff, Aug 3, 2016.

1. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

This ones a shock and I'm loving it!! :)

✍️ ⚽️

We're delighted to announce that Nathan Dyer has signed a new four-year deal with the #Swans.

Read more: http://po.st/rdnGxz

2. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Surprise surprise.

seabreeze likes this.
  3. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Yep, the unexpected hits you between the eyes!! ;)

seabreeze and 55282 like this.
  4. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Great news this!

DragonPhilljack, seabreeze and 55282 like this.
  5. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

I'll go out on a limb , but without checking I'll guess Dyer is in the top half dozen scorers in SCFC top flight history , probably top scoring winger .
    And probably not finished scoring yet .
    One of those Swansea " Gems " we're reknown for for getting results on the cheap .
    2020 vision by the club
    " Morgan " can suck a fart !

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    JonesyJack likes this.
  6. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Very please for the cheeky tinker.............<laugh>

Cornish Clive and seabreeze like this.
  7. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Yes good news and hope he has a great season
    image.jpg

8. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Nathan was arguably the best player in our promotion season and I won't forget that. I told him so too. I''ve been impressed with his efforts pre-season because he looks as if he's now regained the confidence to try and go past players again. But he still needs to work on his finishing imo. Add that to his game and he'd be one hell of a player.

9. Turkish

Turkish Active Member

I know it's bad taste to crap on this but I am disappointed. 4 years is just too long for Dyer. He did well in the championship but hasnt shown to be prem quality for me (whereas Routledge has) and is far to inconsistent.
    Great servant to the club but one of the most frustrating players to watch. 2 seasons ago he last played well, during the first few games. Then goes back to giving the ball to Rangel when its easier for him to go on and get a shot off.
    It's as if all that's been forgotten and put down to a Monk issue with the player where Monk got it wrong. He didn't.

Anyway, good luck to him. Maybe he's got the confidence he needs to play with some freedom again. Barrow has to be the 1st choice RW though.

10. seabreeze

I've thought of Routledge and Dyer as equal in different ways up till now .
    Dyer a bit more pacey , Routledge trickier .
    Dyer leads the goal scoring battle 17 goals to 14 and has missed a season .
    But going into this season , I'd have to tip Routledge as a better bet for better play .
    Dyer and Routledge , under 4 million , priceless to this point .
    Montero and Barrow ,under6 million, could be priceless from here .
    Dyer is 28 and I'd have to see his new contract before having a view .
    Ultimiately , Dyer isn't finished and deserved his resigning .

11. Turkish

Turkish Active Member

Might not be finished, we'll see on that point, 4 years though is a bit much seeing as he's been ordinary for at least 3 seasons. I don't begrudge him a contract as he can probably still do a job from the bench and I saves spending on someone that will sit on the bench because of Barrow. I just think 4 years is over the top. Feels like an apology contract.

12. seabreeze

Yes , we will have to see if he's finished as neither of us can tell the future .
    I take exception with your " Last 3 Season " remark though .
    Last season he wasn't with us .
    Season before that ( our best season ever ) Dyer was a mainstay player with 23 starts and 9 sub and 3 goals .
    Season before that , he was our 2nd highest scorer with 6 goals , only behind Bony .
    Dyer played 4 seasons in the premier , averaging over 30 Premier League Appearences , to me Dyer never had a bad PremierLeague season for us .
    And his best scoring season , where he finished 2nd on the team , was our worst season in the Premier ....I'd guess a great time to be scoring his 6 goals .

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  13. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

He played a lot of games with a bad knee too. Think he had an operation once we were guaranteed survival in the season Laudrup was sacked?

After the way our board/Monk allegedly treated him, 4 years is a very good move by the club, as it keeps one of our key squad players at the club to make sure youngsters and foreign players know what it means to wear our clubs shirt.

14. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

But Valley you have to wonder whether he was only given a 4 year because of the way he was treated and not footballing reasons. If I am honest get him back to his best and I enjoy watching him get at fullbacks. His last season with us I was less tan impressed, then he gets sent out on loan, didn't play that often and didn't set the world alight, apart from 1 very brave header he scored. Now I don't see he did anything last year that would make us think wow how well did he do, yet the same player we send out on loan we are now offering a 4 year. It has to be to do with his treatment off the field and not on field performances.

I am with Turkish here and feel 2 years would have been enough, Saying that I really really hope he gets back to his best as I love watching him play when he is on his game. When him and Rangel clicked we were unstoppable down the right. So glad he is staying think 4 years a bit to long.

Bap666 likes this.
  15. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

absolute disgrace, guy is useless and proves the Swans lack any ambition whatsoever which has also been shown with their lackluster transfer activity. I fear we are in trouble this coming season.

16. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

I think he can do a good job over the next few years. Yes there's a hint of an apology in the 4 years given, but his wealth of knowledge, understanding of the club etc and what he can pass down to the youngsters coming through/new signings over the coming years is invaluable.

17. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Welcome back Musty <laugh>

<cheers>

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  18. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

That season you refer to under Monk, he had a brilliant start netting 4 goals in the first few games, then for some bizarre reason only known to Monk, he dropped him, and used him off the bench when he felt like, it's no wonder Dyer couldn't be bothered.

You do not drop a player who is on form and banging in goals. Monk did the same to Leon, you just have to wonder if it was jealousy on Monks part, because it certainly wasn't intelligent move by Monk with both Dyer and Leon.

We all know that Monk lost the dressing room in the end, I'm glad the ego maniac has gone......... <ok>

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    seabreeze likes this.
  19. bigkidderz

bigkidderz Well-Known Member

4 years a bit much for a player who is decent but ultimately a squad player. However as Valley as pointed out, it's worth keeping as many of our 'core' players around to get the youngsters and newbies up to speed with (a) the way Swansea play and (b) what it means to wear the Swansea shirt. When Dyer walks into the dressing room, a lot of the newbies and youngsters will remember him scoring goals in a Swansea shirt, winning the penalty and promotion in the play off final, scoring 2 goals in the League Cup final (and maybe the hissy fit over the penalty) - they'll immediately respect that Nathan Dyer knows what it's about at Swansea and look to him for advice. For the same reason, keeping players like Ash, Leon, Routledge, Rangel, Taylor, and even now Gylfi, is very important to maintain a continuity in the way we play and approach games. When we forget where we came from is when we start to feel like we have a right to Premier League football - and that's a one-way ticket to relegation (as Fulham, Villa and Newcastle have found out). Players need to play for the shirt, and the only way to do that is to be shown what it means by others.

seabreeze likes this.
  20. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Fully agree. Not only that, but when it got messy last year, it was these players, (swap Taylor with Cork) that dragged us through the relegation battle.

seabreeze likes this.