1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Names on Saints' shirts

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by St. Luigi Scrosoppi, Aug 20, 2017.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

That's a very good idea, FLT. A retro shirt with a retro name.

fatletiss likes this.
  2. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I have never got beyond retro.

PS My birthday is top secret as I don't want anyone sending me birthday greetings and all that nonsense.

It is bad enough that some of you like my posts.

In fact I have thought that I should give up posting altogether if I got another like.

3. Cowtownred

Cowtownred Well-Known Member

I am pretty unlucky when buying named saints shirts. Had the black Adidas one, with Lambert, only for him to leave that summer! I have the Classie green shirt, and Long from last season! Yeah they are both still at Saints, but for how long? Lol

4. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

My suggestions for shirt names would be

FLT - C.B. Fry - proper retro

St G - Ali Dia - appropriate for a contrarian

5. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Haven't bought a Saints shirt since the in house one we had when Cortese pissed off Adidas as I haven't liked any of them. Don't have a name on that one, Saints shirts I do have with names are Schneiderlin, Wright-Phillips, K Jones and Delgado.

Never wear football shirts except when I'm playing football and have so many other clubs ones aswell that the only one that gets a run out regularly is the K Jones black/red away kit from about 2007 I think

6. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Good call, FLT. I try not to remember Williams - bugger nearly broke my heart! Fabulous player who never did quite kick on as we thought he might. But then even Saint Mick didn't set the world on fire when he went to City. Just a reminder that, for all our woes, we've seen some great players wear the shirt. Mentioning Stevie brings back memories of David Armstrong and Steve Moran. Oh nostalgia isn't what it was. I wonder if, over time, we'll remember Jermaine Wright in the same way :1980_boogie_down:

fatletiss likes this.
  7. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Steve Moran was one of my favourite players...and I still remember David Armstrong in the last minute at the Dell scoring to beat Man Utd 3-2. He ran to the crowd to the right of the goal in the Milton Road and I as a 12 year old got to pat him on the back whilst going mental :)

8. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Mark Wright, maybe...

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  9. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Bought my first shirt for years this season (the away one), wore it on Saturday, and will now have to wear it to every game as it is clearly lucky.

Never crossed my mind to put a name on the back.

Saw an Arsenal fan the other day in Finsbury Park, with Corbyn on the back of his shirt. Thought that was kinda cool (it wasn't Jeremy btw).

10. SootySaint

SootySaint Well-Known Member

Used to love getting names on the back of my Southampton shirts but stopped for a completely different reason. After a few washes (on low heat) the name starts to peel off. Happened to one of my England shirts that now has the faded imprint of Runney on the back. Managed to save my Lambert shirt when the L tried to part ways by using special glue and hanging it on my old bedroom wall.

11. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Yeah I head the VVD shirts now say "COCK"

Cowtownred and SootySaint like this.
  12. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

People were harsh on poor Jermaine, bless him. He was a crap player, but he was our crap player!

13. oldstocktonsaint

oldstocktonsaint Well-Known Member

Was talking to a guy next to me at the Newcastle-Spurs match about players names, as we wondered who the new right back was for Spurs. How much does it cost to get a double barrelled name on the shirt and do you need it to be long sleeved. Long is cheaper than Gabbiadini! MLT is even cheaper!