1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Musings of the passing season.....

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by zogean_king, May 14, 2013.

1. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Ok trying to look at the season with a balanced perspective I just want to make a few points. Firstly I think the club was very unsettled by the loss of Lambert. I think that sometimes he managed to pull the players along with him by the scruff of the neck. We had a new manager at the start of the season and we didn’t get off to the best of starts. He was using a lot of players he had not brought in and tried to do something different with them to Paul, namely sure up the defence.

Early on we struggled and were in the relegation zone in Sept-Oct if I remember correctly before we went on our very good run. We played very well, I don’t think this was a coincidence that Hoolahoop played out of his socks and we got wins against Man Utd and Arsenal. League cup defeat was a pain as we realistically could have won the competition…. Oh well there is next year!
    I would say the loss of Ruddy was a major one, top class keeper any side struggles without their number one being fit especially a player of his class. Then not much later over Christmas we just hit a rut, losing all 4 games just sucked all the confidence out of the side and since then nothing really went right. This included an embarrassing loss to Luton which further drained any vestige of confidence out of the side. We were neither creating chances, keeping goals out nor getting the rub of the green when it comes to decisions with Arsenal being a prime example of this. Our three wins have been a bit of a fluke against Everton a nervy win against Reading and then monstering West Brom.

I f you look at the table top 10-12 and bottom 2 aside most teams have been much of a muchness this year, each on its day or good run can beat pretty much anyone. We won and went up 4 places last match. Putting things into perspective we survived even if it was nervy! Positives have to be survival, no debt next year, Bassong, Snodgrass and I would still say Hoolahoop on his day is a class player. We also managed to stay up without our first choice keeper (damn good one at that) for most of the year.

Next year however I think we need to overhaul the strikers RVW is a good start and regardless of what people say I think Holt will still score if provided support and service. I would say we still need another striker at least as well as a left winger. I think Bennett is good backup for Snodgrass and I would like to see Fox a bit more. One player I would love is Hughes from Derby and perhaps we can steal another player from Feeds Utd lol. Defensively possibly another CB for competition and see if we can get another LB. Bunn…. I think the time is right to make a tidy profit on him keep Carson as backup and loan both Rudd and Steer with clauses they can be recalled if we have injuries.

As for our youth I would love to see one or two making a step up next year will they…. We will have to wait and see! Onwards and upwards….. less drama next year please!

2. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

Bunn has been OK but I have no doubt that Ruddy would have earned us an extra handful of points which would have taken us up around Swansea/WBA territory table wise.That's an indication of how fine the line is between comfort and relegation.Villa with a faint risk of relegation are just six points beneath The Swans.

3. Home on the range canary

Home on the range canary Well-Known Member

there is such a difference when both Snodgrass and Pilkington are on form making runs and outlets for the other players, as has been seen in a few games.

4. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hugely. With both in the team we look far less lop-sided. It also put Snodgrass back on his favoured side.