1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Munoz

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Markthehorn, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

It doesn't help in this case the fans seem to want him out straight away.

I mean the last 2 managers have got much more stick and abuse than anyone before in the Pozzos era.

is that because people expected us to be top of the league playing free flowing football rather than plodding along in 5th?

They talk about Paul Cook and Danny Cowley - well both left their last job because of issues off the field so cannot see them wanting to come and be told what to do.

2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

It's probably because we never got to know them in the flesh Mark. Playing football without crowds must be a soulless business and I don't envy any manager being judged under the present circumstances. Even Jürgen Klopp can't instill passion into his players under the present conditions.

3. Markthehorn

No that is true but some of the comments about him are a bit rude (not here) personally and when you keep sacking managers who do people expect to appoint?

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Quite right Mark. Even a well known and successful manager is not a cert to play as we would like and win promotion. I do think that the restrictions on peoples freedom due to the virus has created a lot of pent up frustration resulting in comments that are not always thought through very well. Our football is not a game anymore, but a construction to keep some money coming in from the TV companies and advertisers.

Markthehorn likes this.
  5. Markthehorn

I do think had we been played better football the mood would be more rational.

There are clearly people around though who expected us to be running away with the league or make a load of new signings whilst just simply getting rid of Gray and Deeney like that.

And people are frustrated as you say not happy with life generally

So it’s a bad mix.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  6. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

This accent?

7. colognehornet

The jury is out on that one Mex <laugh> In my experience regional accents disappear when speaking other languages. A friend of mine here is from Manchester and speaks completely differently from me when we use English - but when we both go into German that difference is neutralized, we just sound like Englishmen speaking German. I've even heard that the Germans can't tell the difference between an Englishman and a Scotsman when they both speak German. Which stands to reason - you and I can tell the difference between a German and a Frenchman when they speak English, but not between a Bavarian and someone from Hamburg (though the difference is all too clear in German). Basically anyone who is bilingual (German and English) can understand about 70% of a text in Dutch, though speaking it is a completely different matter. Also the Dutch language differs markedly between regions so that a person from Frisia or Amsterdam may use English when speaking with a person from Antwerp or Bruges (although Flemish is, technically, Dutch). The Dutch just presume that nobody speaks their language - even Erik Ten Hag (team trainer at Ajax) uses English in the dressing room. Even the fans forums of Ajax are bilingual.

Mexican Hornet and Markthehorn like this.
  8. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

They're funny things accents. My nephew was born in Munich and he's bilingual - speaks perfect English but with an accent I've never been able to pin down. His mum, my sister, was his language role model from a very early age - although he went to a 'normal' primary school and then International school for secondary education where he spoke German, she always insisted that he speak English at home, so I would have assumed that he would speak English in the same accent as her - Scottish (even after 45 years or so of living in Germany). As far as I'm aware he's never even been to England, but his accent certainly isn't Scottish.

9. Mexican Hornet

Both above very true. I was just doubting if Mclaren spoke Dutch. Or just English with a strange accent.

10. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

He was fluent in double dutch

Mexican Hornet likes this.

11. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

Accents are funny things. When I taught English in a school in Egypt it was very obvious from the accents of the children that the previous English teacher was from Wales. My Arabic accent was atrocious, apparently. The only time I really spoke Arabic was with street vendors and the like. A high ranking government official said that I sounded as if I had been brought up in the slums of Alexandria.

12. Mexican Hornet

I can change my Spanish depending on whom I talk to.

I speak 4 languages, English, Spanish, Spanglish & Castellinglish! ;)

13. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I always assumed that Mexican Spanish would be riddled with Americanisms. How would you get on in Spain, Mex, or is that what you mean by Castellinglish?

14. Mexican Hornet

Castellinglish = a European Spanglish. Just my muddled mix.

Jokes aside, the accent in Spain, that is more nazally and tongue between teeth for certain sounds, and the rate they knock through syllables makes it a bit harrder to follow.

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Is our head coach still around? I assume so, although not seen a comment or picture coming from the club or players.

Markthehorn likes this.
  16. Markthehorn

Yes seems so .

Probably make or break week for him .

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

18. Luther

Luther Well-Known Member

Yesterday I listened to the entire press conference of Muñoz on Watford's youtube channel. I realise that one must make allowance for the fact that his English is limited, which is probably why some things that he said did not seem to make much sense. However, Muñoz appeared to talk a lot but to actually say very little. Perhaps he is in the wrong profession and he should have become a politician!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Mexican Hornet likes this.
  19. colognehornet

It could, for once, enter the brain of the Pozzo's that the ability to communicate is an essential part of management <doh>

20. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Well, that's one way to kill off speculation on his future - even for our club, in which getting Manager of the month doesn't seem to offer any security.

Markthehorn and duggie2000 like this.