1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Much better

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Aug 20, 2019.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

After tonight although not a win. Gills played so much better created lots of chances. Some quality football. Shame conceded 2 goals just before ht or could of been first win of season and first home win on a Tuesday night since 2015. Finally signings look useful. We look like we have a keeper as good as if not better than Holy. Jak got two nice goals and the best player is Jones. He looks awesome in this new midfield role although just as good at centre half. Think he is good enough to play in prem next season if he continues in this form.
    Fuller and Byrne showed again form from last season to keep there starting place.
    Let's hope we can continue this performance from now on.

2. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Now I wasn't at the game so I can't comment on how well we played but will comment on the facts. This is the fourth game in a row where we have failed to hold onto a lead late in a half.

Having watched the goals back, Jones & Byrne are at fault for the first both sitting off the Blackpool midfielder who plays the through to their number 21. Ehmer gets drawn to 21 who plays it back to 25 who is stood right next to Byrne but has no challenge so puts the ball through the middle to Kaikai (?). Jones half heartedly tries to intercept and this fall's through to Kaikai who has lots of time and space due to Ehmer being drawn out and Hodson in his own little world. 2-1. Second goal comes down to not sticking with their man on our left hand side and them Ehmer not following their striker in the box to challenge for the header. 2-2.

These defensive lapses for me aren't a coincidence and shows that the game management is poor. Evans must do more to get this team being able to play for a whole 90 mins and not 35 mins a half. Also on a sidenote, I was fuming that Evans only named 6 subs despite Oldaker, Garmston, Stevenson & Scarlett all being contracted players at the football club.

brb likes this.
  3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Pegleg
    You missed a good game ( by both teams ).
    You have to remember we have L1 players - who will make mistakes --- It is harsh to say that Fuller was out of position for the 2nd goal -Fuller had a great game . The overall performance was really good. Effort was 100% ( to their ability ) -- and Gills will play a lot worse AND win !
    If we play as we did last night, we'll have a 'top half'/ top 6 season.

........... bloody hell - I've just realised that I am being positive -- sorrrrry

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  4. The Gills PegLeg

You are right they are League One players, but they are making the same mistakes week in week out. We need to focus on being able to play for a full game first before even dreaming of getting higher up the league.

5. alwaysright

Pegleg, you are obviously much younger than me and have more optimism ( less cynicism )
    Yes - they do make the same mistakes every week (( that is what L1 players do ))
    The point is that the situation re mistakes is not going to change with the players our budget can afford .
    I would love Gills to be successful - but am realistic about our prospects - and maybe you need to reduce your aspirations (( it ain't going to get better on a shoestring )) - perhaps be grateful of the effort and entertainment that happened last night ( you missed one of the better performances of the last 3 seasons - despite the mistakes ).
    -- but don't worry, you will become a miserable old bas***d, and find a different sport ( winding up Nazis )

6. The Gills PegLeg

Not sure what posts of mine you've been reading always but I think I've been completely opposite. I'm feeling rather dismayed and downhearted about our chances for this season and that is in part thanks to the person now manager of our football club. From the games I've seen us play I've been far from convinced we will be any better off than what Steve Lovell offered as manager. If anything I think it seems to be worse.

I personally don't have faith in a majority of the new signings that have been brought in and I'm not convinced that they're better than what we had. The also complete mismanagement of players and our former coach Mark Patterson has left an even more sour taste in my mouth than the pure anger I had when Evans was appointed. We had talented players last season imo, the only problem was the lack of consistency or intensity but those are both points you would expect Evans to make an impact on with his reputation. Instead he froze them out and that has really riled me.

I will take your word for it that we looked a lot better last night but until we start playing for 90 minutes and not 70, I won't be biting my tongue.

7. alwaysright

Pegleg
    I too wasn't happy about the appointment of Evans -- but that was based on my opinion of his character, rather than any quality as a football manager.
    At GFC, for the last three seasons we have endured poor results -mainly on the back of poor performances - with a lot of poor tactics. Obviously the players are partly to blame - but when terrible tactics (( such as hoofball )), are used - time, and time again, then the buck stops with the manager. He/she needs to be able to motivate, and recognise when things aren't working - and change it - and certainly to ensure that 100% effort is given.
    Evans is the most ruthless manager than we've had since Martin Allen, and up to now Evans hasn't been able to bark at the players from the touchline.

I may query some of Evans decisions regarding players that he has 'discarded,' but I haven't won as many promotions as he has in the lower divisions. GFC are not guaranteed any success with Evans - but (( despite my 'loathing' of his personal characteristics )), I reluctantly accept that his pedigree is less likely to result in relegation than Mr. 'Niceguy' ( Lovell ), was going to get us this year.

I know that you didn't see last night's game --- and I don't know if you saw the Doncaster game ( excellent fist half despite the goal conceded ) -- but the effort - AND quality of play was a World away from the Burton performance ---- and last night was without RCC, Ndjoli and Willock ( and only a few minutes of Mandron ) --my point in mentioning these names is that they arguably may be part of our strongest eleven.
    The squad has shown enough quality to suggest that better results will happen - and the job of Evans is to get the squad to perform more consistently - and for 90+ minutes otherwise they won't be at GFC. ........... ( but I still won't be sending Evans a Christmas card )

8. brb

brb CR250

You sure mate <whistle> ...

19 Gillingham3-12
    20 Wimbledon4-31

21 Accrington3-31
    22 Southend4-9 
    23 Bolton3-7-11
    24 Bury  -12
    Considering the bottom two teams gave us a 12 point head start, and one of those teams might not even play a game again <laugh>

9. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

For once I find myself agreeing with Always, I definitely thought we were the better team and if anyone deserved to win it was us. Doncaster, Burton, Blackpool, and next up Coventry, 4 teams that are tipped to be challenging for a playoff spot and we have held our own apart from Burton.
    The style of our play (for the most part) is a lot easier on the eye than recent seasons, there still is room for improvement, but for a lot of basically free transfers we are doing well.

alwaysright likes this.
  10. brb

brb CR250

I did say (I think anyway) before the season started, words to the effect that we had been dealt a raw deal in our starting fixtures. We all knew Doncaster away as an opening fixture was not going to be easy, follow that with Burton, then the ever predictable loss against Newport, the latter always being the potential banana skin. Next up Coventry jeeeeez.