1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Mr van Gerwen is a Troublemaker

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by The Elfsborg Sparrow, May 9, 2018.

1. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

I don't do pubs, only chip shops.

2. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

At 10 pm part 3 of the League of Gentlemen starts. The title "Save Royston Vasey". Didn't know he was in trouble.

3. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Some people really hated the fact that Cammers gave 'the people of the UK' the choice of whether the UK stayed in the EU or not!

Obviously the people of the UK just didn't understand what they were voting for.

4. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

DC is a great man.

5. ForestHillBilly

I didn't know what I was voting for, even after listening to all the debates.
    Other ex-PM's should follow his example of keeping quiet.

6. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

David Cameron offered the EU referendum because he thought it would help win him the General Election.
    It probably did, but Cameron never expected the 'Leave' result.
    Rather than fulill his duty as Prime Minister and guide the Country through the Brexit process his own referendum had initiated, Cameron resigned and left others to pick up the pieces of his decision to offer the British People an exit from the EU as an election ploy, and his total lack of preparation for a 'Leave' result.
    In my opinion that makes David Cameron a coward as well as a bad politician and leader.

But personally I am happy with the Country's decision to leave the EU, as I have been a Euro-sceptic all my adult life. And politics does not bother me as much as it used to.
    As long as anti-democratic extremists such as racists or religious fanatics don't get into power it really doesn't matter which 'mainstream' party is in government. They all behave very much alike.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Ken Shabby and DickPlumb like this.
  7. User deleted as requested

Lardi - Cameron couldn't stay on as PM after the majority of the British people had rejected his advice to Remain. It wasn't cowardice - it was a simple political truth.

8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Cameron offered the referendum, but never once said that a 'Leave' result would mean he would resign.
    The referendum was not a vote of confidence in his position as Prime Minister.

Prime Ministers have lost votes in Parliament before and not resigned over it. And it is well known that politicians care much more about how other MP's vote than the votes of people on the street.
    There was no need for Cameron to resign, and indeed no call for him to resign either as far as I remember. He was supposed to be our political leader. It was his duty to carry out the will of the British People to the best of his ability.
    Instead he went into the Referendum with absolutely zero preparation for the consequences of a result other than the one he wanted (remain).

Once the will of the British People no longer chimed with what he wanted, Cameron walked away rather than taking responsibility.
    If it was always his intention to do that he should have been honest with the British People and told them in advance that he would quit if 'remain' lost.

Some might argue that such honesty would have reduced the EU referendum into a vote of confidence in him personally.
    I don't agree. The question of whether the UK should remain in the EU or leave was always much more important than the career of one politician.
    But Cameron made the result all about him by offering the referendum simply to help him win a general election, and then refusing to take responsibility for a result he was 100% responsible for creating.

It was not UKIP that gave the British People a chance to vote on leaving the EU - it was David Cameron himself, through his lack of political ability to outmanoeuver Nigel Farage.
    Our greatest Statesman since Churchill (as Cameron probably likes to think of himself) outwitted by a single-issue soap-box geezer doing a pub landlord impression.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    deleted..... likes this.
  9. User deleted as requested

Hard to know where to start ....

10. ForestHillBilly

Cameron foresaw the problems and got out pronto. Paul Dacre can scream and shout however much he likes, but whoever he wants to blame for the problems, they were foreseeable. I never thought I'd say it, but I miss Cameron. At least he had a sense of humour, and was such a good speaker he could have been a Shakespearean actor.

Ken Shabby likes this.

11. User deleted as requested

Laughably wrong and factually incorrect, but I'm not going there in either case <cheers>

12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

No offence intended anyway, it's a slow day and there's nothing happening on the football front with Charlton.

I'm no Tory voter by nature but oddly enough I've always had a sneaking admiration for John Major's time as PM. He had a tough time for sure but he stuck with it, did not quit and saw the job through. And the foundations of the Good Friday agreement were laid on his watch.

OK, that's enough politics from me. Like I said, I don't want to annoy anybody...<whistle>

13. ForestHillBilly

The mods banned politics from the forum, but the mods keep bringing up Brexit:emoticon-0160-movie.

14. The Elfsborg Sparrow

On the 5.34 from Bromley, missing the days of the stalker.......

15. User deleted as requested

The 4.57 is your friend ...

16. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Ouch

17. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Now that Mr van Gerwen has defected to Paul's site, I hope people do not think of him as a traitor.

18. User deleted as requested

Now your Accrington ticket is going on E bay ...

19. The Elfsborg Sparrow

That'll get 50p....if you're lucky.

20. The Elfsborg Sparrow

This title is proven after the wumming regards the imaginary tickets for Accrington.

I have received some very nasty and spiteful pm's on the matter. The fella must be starving for £39.