1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mr. Scally scores an own goal.....

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Jul 14, 2021.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

........ If you thought Euro 2020 produced some own goal gaffs - I think that Mr. Scally has scored the biggest own goal of the lot !

Just in case some of you are in any way unclear................
    Gillingham FC do NOT have a 'mega' store - or any such area where you can pop in ( even if only on match day ), to browse and purchase anything................. It's now all done online..............

..... and THAT includes ALL ticket sales !! -- NOBODY will be able to turn up at the Ground on a match day, and expect to visit a ticket office / booth with cash / credit card or blood, in exchange for a ticket to the game. There is NO ticket office.............. ALL ticket sales MUST be made online !

I think that Mr. Scally has underestimated the needs and convenience for many fans, for whom, it may be impossible to decide about their attendance until close to kick-off time, and for whom making payment by credit card may not be possible or financially viable....... I understand the merits ( re administration for Mr. Scally ), but I would bet that he's going to lose out on a lot of 'casual' income....

and talking about missing out on income ........

What is Mr. Scally thinking by not having a store for merchandise ???? Whenever I have gone past the megastore on matchday, there always were a lot of people inside... And there was also a fair number of people in the queue to pay for items they just selected....and many more 'browsing.'

A megastore is an integral part of the matchday experience (( especially for young children - to 'force' a parent to buy an item.)) ..A megastore is the perfect place to try on replica kit - before purchase...... This opportunity is critical - because the current manufacturer has no concept about real sizes. !

I have been to virtually every Premier & Football League ground - and they've ALL got a store - and do a roaring trade on matchday................ People need to see, feel and try for size etc........ I would be interested to find out the affect on volume of sales by operating only an online service ! ......
    Surely it wouldn't have hurt to have the store open - even if only on a matchday ??.

2. brb

brb CR250

Another thing that I have found increasingly frustrating, the same as I've always highlighted my frustrations about the use of technology in the game, namely known as VAR.

But this is one you haven't heard yet!.....oh noooo go the groans, he's off again. Go on then brb tell us, I can hear you say....

Cashless society! Well where shall I start.....the ideology of every bank, to have control of every penny you own. Trust me, this is a problem a massive problem, people are once again sleep walking into.

Every purchase you make, no matter how small or large will have a digital footprint. As many criminal has recently found out with ANPR at the Darford tolls, the police are having a field day with county line drug runners - the difference here is we are NOT criminals!

Just to add to my disgust, instead of the usual £1 transaction charged at petrol stations now, before you withdraw fuel, it will now claim £100...in a blink of an eye, well more 18 months of COVID, what would have taken another 10 years , has already forwarded us to the future.

So let me say this....no megastore equals no purchase, so yes @alwaysright is right, zero revenue will be coming out of my pocket, but bear with me, one last piece to this tale.

I was reading twitter a few weeks back, and a fan had got into conversation with The Posh chairman on twitter, the supporters moan, he couldn't pay in cash for his ticket, the response, the Chairman said he would go away and look into this for the supporter.....and there you have good customer relations. <applause>

Afterall cash is still legal tender and as far as I'm aware it's not going to be otherwise, despite the wishes of banks and card financers. If you want my cash, I'm happy to spend it, if not, go whistle.

Anyway in other news, India have the right idea, they've just told Mastercard to go swivel, and it will no longer be able to issue new cards in that country... https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...arding-new-customers/articleshow/84409085.cms

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    alwaysright likes this.