1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Moyes dropped Didier Ndong to bring more 'Britishness

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Makemstine Roger, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

**** you're right

IMG_0846.JPG

2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

That's the attitude of people who aren't rich when comparing themselves to rich people - I would walk if I was in Moyes shoes after being told there'd be money to spend then beind told differently. If you had millions in the bank (which Moyes probably has), would the extra 3 million matter more than your reputation? My guess is not

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  3. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

I agree but in this day and age, particularly in football, the more money a person earns the more money they want. A millionaire wants to become a billionaire.

Was Moyes told that there would be money to spend? I seem to remember him giving us the indication that we were skint not long after he become manager. Im probably wrong though.

4. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Wasn't it said that Moyes turned us down last year because he thought we couldn't stay up ? Is that another way of saying he doesn't want to manage in the Champoionship

5. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

With Sam being the bloke he is, I would have thought he'd have demanded the money and only a stupid owner would deny him. Maybe Moyes wasn't quite forceful enough? one things certain in my mind though mate, Sam would have demanded 110% effort from the players he did have available and would have surely had a better game plan or strategy and I stand by what I said that if Sam had stayed, we wouldn't be in this mess right now.

6. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

I dont know what it is but I have a sudden craving for a burger and large fries.

Disco down under and Nacho like this.
  7. mackemwelder

Considering Moyes has managed in the Premier League for most of his career, I very much doubt that money was his motivation for coming to us. He's probably on £3m a year with us, plus he'll have been on a lot more for Utd and maybe Everton. Money and greed are not the motivation for those guys mate, they could retire now and live in the lap of luxury even if they lived to be 100 so i'm not buying that one.

8. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

I remember Sam Allerdyce being quoted as worth about £10m last year when he ****ed up over a £400k deal.

I don't think he considered his reputation for a single second when that £400k was waved in front of him.

9. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Two up front ? who was the other striker oh Borini. We miss players like midfielders who could move the ball and scored goals.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  10. mackemwelder

When was the last time we had one of them?

11. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Khazri

12. adz_safc

adz_safc Active Member

Jeff Whitley <doh>

mackemwelder likes this.
  13. mackemwelder

Really??? sorry mate but I just don't get that bloke. He plays when he wants and I've yet to see him be a playmaker.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  14. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Completely different scenario though - obviously hasnt' impacted peoples opinions on his managerial capabilities as he's got a job still. He did something he thought he'd be able to keep his wealth and large salary but got cught. Not many haven't done things in their lives that sailed close to the wind (I know I have in previous jobs) - I just never got caught!

15. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Don't think DM has a game plan or strategy :emoticon-0112-wonde - headless british chickens maybe ....but its really not good enough but i'm just being positive atm as I was with BSA last year when many were giving me stick. We are not cut too far adrift yet with almost least 2 weeks grace and injured players to return. I am hoping for at least 4 pts from Watford and Leicester - any defeats and its the end for me.

16. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

Moyes spent £20m on N'Dong and Djilobodji alone. I think I'm right in saying we were top 10 spenders in the Prem over the summer? If Sam was treated the same way Moyes has been we would be solidly midtable imo.

We would have M'Vila pulling the strings in midfield, probably be much better defensively, and Khazri would still be playing to the same standard as last season. You could also argue our injury list wouldn't be anywhere near as bad, as Sam seemed to keep a pretty good lid on that side of things last year with his sports science approach...

17. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

See, I would say we are cut quite far adrift. Banking on us winning games and at least 3 teams above us losing all theirs? Its not gonna happen.
    Maybe we can do a Leicester and win the league next season.

18. mackemwelder

Which League?

Makemstine Roger and haslam like this.
  19. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Not disputing it's different.

My badly made point was just that guys in their line of work often tend to have thick skins from years of abuse and bad press and their focus is usually more on the £ signs than any concern for their reputation.

At the same time I believe that many of these guys are concerned about maintaining their professional reputation. If I was Moyes I wouldn't walk at all. And it wouldn't be because I could get more from being sacked. I'd just be wanting to prove myself as a manager.

mackemwelder likes this.
  20. mackemwelder

My glass is always half full mate (unless it's a pint) but this season is proving to be a step too far imho. Watford & Leicester are not easy games either and it wouldn't surprise me if we took nothing from both. Watford are no pushovers and with Leicester's resurgence and renewed confidence I can see us crumbling.