1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Moving into the 21st century

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by vinkel, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

They aren’t. They use selected key word tracking. It ain’t listening to a full sentence it’s picking up specific words. It doesn’t know what you were up to last night.

It’s absolutely true, how do you think free websites are funded? Goodwill?

You might get the odd individual that will run a site, usually very small reach and unreliable. They are ran from advertising revenue and sale of data. Of course you can opt out of all of it, I always opt out of sharing data but not targeted adverts, as you’ll still get adverts they will just be completely irrelevant.

The guy who owns Facebook is the 3rd richest man on earth. It’s a free website and about the highest used on earth.

He could remove all the adverts tomorrow and charge a fee, and tens of millions would pay it, and be ok with that.

Now, times that by every app and website that you use for free and think about that. Even if you only used 4 or 5 sites, let’s say they were say £2 month each or whatever, but then you’ve a family of 4 all have an account maybe, it would ramp up in no time.

It’s how the world works, and it does work. We all have the world at our fingertips, we have social, we have reading, we have access to fitness, wellness and educational sites, all for free.

All fine with me.

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Do you have ads on this site? I don't.

For now yeah maybe it's just keywords that they pick up on, nothing is stopping them from listening in to as much as they want to in the future. You can put your faith in faceless corporations if you like, it's not for me.

It doesn't seem, right now, that it makes much practical difference whatever your thoughts on it are and most ads are easily ignored but I guess being listened to in your own home is something that either bothers you or it doesn't, it bothers me because I don't like it and I don't trust the ****s that are doing it.

3. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

There’s ads on this site if you don’t sign up or sign in, that’s what I was saying, this is a tiny site, by having ads ore sign in they can make a few quid off clicks and also track and regulate who is online etc, this site uses cookies. They are used for tracking and sharing of data. That’s likely how this site is funded.

Nothing is free other than oxygen and emotions mate.

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

There's a bit of a gap between selling data behind the scenes and your phone having the capability to spy on you 24/7. I'm fine with the first because it keeps things ticking over but not with the second and I never will be.

5. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

If anyone listened to my conversations they would know by now I have absolutely **** all to spend.

Sandy Camel, rooch 3 and Nads like this.
  6. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

I am now officially SMART