1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Most memorable match

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Bizarreknives, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Poolie Mackem Paul

The play off final as everyone has already said or when we beat the scum 2-1 in the rain. I was at the beam back and not the actual match but i remember getting flung about on my dads mates shoulders and everyone was dancing about outside the SOL in the pissing down rain. Epic scenes indeed!

2. Washysafc

Washysafc Well-Known Member

So many to pick from but I was at 6 of the eight games in the Fa cup run in 1973 including the final and the semi final when I was in with the Arsenal fans! Of those game it must be the Man City games home and away. I was 14 at the time and so had grown up on crowds of 14,000 some even below 10,000 so had no real ideed of just how big the club was and to see the ground packed to que outside the ground for hours to get tickets made me relise that this was a massive club not another second tier out fit with poor crowds.

Others would have to include all of the common ones above, the play off final, Chelsea in the cup etc but there is one that sticks out it must have been 1972 or thereabouts we were two goals down with 15 mins left against Burnley, Billy Hughes comes off the bench to score a hat trick and we win 4 3. There wont be many with that one as I think we only had abour 13,000 in the ground.

3. hordenmackem

hordenmackem Well-Known Member

I have two.... 1, My first ever game in 1974 at Roker Park 3-0 against Bolton. 2. 1980, last game of the season, needed at least a point against West Ham to get promoted. We won 2-0, 47,000 fans in Roker Park. What a fantastic night it was, games like that are why it's great following the lads...................

4. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Was that the game where trevor brooking, deliberately, imo, tried to pass back to the goalie from almost the half way line and gave us our 1st goal. It was so embarrasing cos it was so obvious.
    Still bloody enjoyed it tho.

5. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

Same as the OP...Chelsea in the Cup at Roker and Charlton play off final. Simpuls...

6. bald-in-guelph

Interesting thread this one. A lot of people say the Charlton play off game with some justification but for me it is such a painful memory. To play so well and lose. I have to go with games that we have won.

I agree with Bizarre Knives about the Chelsea game at Roker. I don't think I've ever felt the same emotions before or since that header from Armstrong. I swear that I walked out the back of the Fulwell and almost felt that I could fly. Incredible feeling at the end of that game.

The other one was the 6-2 win over Sheffield Utd on a end of season Wednesday night back in 1978. Hat trick from Wilf Rostron after going behind early on. I used to love those night games at Roker towards the end of the season when the games started in warm sunshine and ended under the lights. Marvellous times. I loved Roker and will remember that night for all my life. It was an amazing game in which if I recall correctly Barry Siddall saved a penalty at the Roker End when the game was still level. Fantastic stuff.