1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Moore to LEAVE then

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town...d-at-fulham-and-town-set-to-sell/page:1/#comm

PAINS me if this is the case - never seen the lad play, but banging them in for fun, for NOT the best side in the division below and we're not even going to have a look at him for 3 / 4 games!? Utterly embarrassing and laughable from my perspective.

I guess Mick knows what he wants/ perhaps Moore isn't the answer however he's SURELY worth a pop last 15/20 at worst to hump the ball up ( we love a hoof ) due to his height etc!?!?!??

I won't judge this decision ( IF TRUE ) 100% until Feb 1 when I can assess all comings and goings, but not a very happy towen fan here AT ALL.

* Sidenote - What the hell is the Rotherham gafa doing blabbing off to the press about this!?!?? Cannot see this going down well with Mick and can imagine him being in the 18 / unused sub for Mick to get his own back.

itfcptc likes this.
  2. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

I'm sure ME will bank the £5 Million we get for him! <laugh>

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Interesting that Paul Warne, the Rotherham manager, said it's a transfer record for the club. The most they spent on a player was Jon Taylor who was signed for around £500k, so this is some profit on the £20k we spent on bringing Moore into the club.

Personally, I'm not too fussed by this departure. I saw Moore play a few times last season and he was awful and struggled against Championship defenders. And don't forget he played about 12 times for us (mostly off the bench, I agree) and never scored. My gut feeling is that he was on a good run of form in League One at the start of the season, found his confidence and has also found his level. We are well stocked with strikers at this club, and scoring goals isn't really our problem as we struggle to keep them out. If this money gets reinvested in a good centre back or right back (and enables us to send Iorfa back to Wolves), then we would have done well out of this.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  4. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Agreed Nuggets, the rumour about the fee is £600,000 which when you consider that Rotherham paid his wages for four months that equates to a profit of well over half a million pounds in a year.
    Thats nice work if you can get it but the question remains whether Evans will make these proceeds available for the transfer budget or not, his record so far on this subject is appalling so we will have to wait and see.
    Personally i dont care if Moore goes or not, i saw him play a few times and there was nothing to suggest he could become a Championship standard striker, as Nuggets said he seems to have found his level and good luck to him.

5. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

It's a tricky one TBH. I agree that He didn't know much last season, but in his defence, he was playing in a team with zero confidence, we had no one pinging the balls in the box, he was used as a sub for most of his appearances, and he made a huge jump from non league to the championship.
    Our current strike force consists of Garner, Waghorn, McG, Sears and the young lad from Ireland. We know McG is made of glass, and the young lad could be anything (but judging by our previous record in this market, he'll barely get a game). Therefore, if one or two get injured, we don't have many other options.
    Agreed 600k is an excellent profit, but thats irrelevant, as it'll go straight into ME's back pocket.
    I say keep him, give him a run of 5/6 games, and if he still isn't doing the business, get rid of at the end of the season (worst case, we'll lose the 20k we got him for)

itfcptc and Bigalreigned like this.
  6. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

We could sell him for 20m and it would make no difference to us as fans or the aspirations of a stagnant club all it would do is go into Evans back pocket amid a flurry of excuses and claims of clubs “over charging” and “ more to come in the summer”.

7. Westlake33

He may well have been awful last season - however he's scored for fun this season and is surely worth at least a look !?!? Not remotely convinced by Garner as the #9 to lead the line.

The way I look at this - was lets say Moore was BRADFORD's player and having a season like he is now. Should we have spent say £1.5 mill we'd all be creaming our pants, saying ' WOW we're signing a 25 year old 3rd top scorer in the league below '

Just not impressed by this at all.

itfcptc and fieldmarshall like this.
  8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think the difference between Moore and a random 25-year-old striker banging in goals for Bradford is that we have seen Moore play for Ipswich before, fairly recently in fact, and he struggled to impress. I don't think he is cut out for Championship football, but I guess you could argue he played in a Town side last season that was generally low on confidence. Moore was given opportunities and we played many games lumping the ball forwards to him but he looked like a poor man's Daryl Murphy. He even had Tommy Lawrence providing him with opportunities, and we don't have anyone of his quality in the current squad anymore.

I accept he scored several goals for Rotherham (not so much recently), but it's at a level I feel he can handle. I would much rather we make a nice profit on Moore in a striking position where we already have better alternatives in Waghorn, McGoldrick, and Garner, and use that money to bring in a defender, where we clearly need better players. While the figure is currently at around £500k, this will likely rise considering Rotherham are in a bidding war with the likes of Charlton and Peterborough.

I don't see why he isn't included in the match day squad though. Certainly an option to bring off the bench and no harm in seeing if his recent experiences in League One can translate to Championship form? Plus, if he scores against Fulham then that'll surely add some value to his transfer fee? If we struggled with scoring this season, then I'd certainly question the logic behind this but investment is needed in defence.

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

You'd think that we would at least give the lad a go during this month and then offload him towards the end of it if he's not up to it.

10. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I've given up trying to work out how the "minds" at Portman Road function.A simple fr'inst is the whole Bru situation.Close Season MM states there's no way he'll ever play for Town again,then we get an injury crisis and he's back in favour again.

11. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Not only is he now in favour, but he's ahead of the likes of McDonnell and Nydam who do have a future at the club...

12. Westlake33

I forgot about the three club season thing - so that will be partially why we won't see him again in a town shirt. Makes a lot more sense now ( sadly )

I think he's worth a shot - I couldn't give a toss how he did last year.

13. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Have to say I agree with Westy on this, am very surprised we haven't given the lad a go just until the end of the season, especially as we like playing long balls and Garner is our only real target man and he's about 5ft10. 750k isn't a great deal in the grand scheme of things for a lower league player who's been in good form and is our player at the end of the day.

On the converse side, he did look pants last year but so would anyone considering how we played last season, whilst our strikers have been decent this year, think we good service given how he's played for Rotherham we could do worse than give him a go.

Don't like Mick's sly dig today either saying Moore isn't loved here. Another pop at the fans. He just needs to go now, you can't have a manager who has a relationship like that with the fans!!

14. Westlake33

It's the damn 3rd club rule. That said, sounds like head turned and maybe best for all he leaves.

I assume Mick's dig is the way he believes Moore has handled himself. Very, very rare for Mick to say anything in public slating a current player - I prefer things internal so very telling for me he's been prepared to do so re Moore.

15. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't say rare mate.
    He's certainly quick enough to tell us who will never play again in his team, Taylor and Best to name a couple!

Bigalreigned likes this.
  16. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

I can understand where the decision has come from, cashing in while his stock is high. Particularly as Mick doesn't see a role for him in the side and he's going through a dry spell.

However, I'd have preferred him to seen out his loan at Rotherham, had a look over the summer and make a decision then, could quite easily still have got the same price or more/ had a prolific goalscorer on our books ready to go