1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Monk vs Laudrup

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by jonasbrothers, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Monk has made a great start. The best start ever in the PL (another fact) and still has things to improve. Things are looking very good indeed, and will get better once Leon returns.

8/10 for me.

2. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Cretinous post from a ..........

3. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I don't believe you can compare any manager. Each have their own qualities and each have their own negatives. Every manager in recent times has contributed good things to our club. I think we all should be positive about what the likes of Martinez, Soussa, Laudrup and Monk have done for us, also i will include jackett in that as we were able to start in The Liberty as a league1 side.

4. LIBERTARIAN

Wow,when do we get the "best start" trophy parade? <laugh>

I'm not so sure that Leon will ever be the same player again.

5. LIBERTARIAN

Good shout,tlf,but what about Flynn? No,not Errol,the other one.

6. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Best start, one of the best defences in the league, top 6 and played some very good football along the way, beat Man Utd and Everton. A lot of positives to take forward although there are some issues to be worked on.
    Not as bad as some are trying to make out on here. Shame one or two posters wont give Monk some credit where it's due.

7. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Cant argue with that he brought Trunds here and that was when we started playing some great football.

8. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

The best ever start brigade are starting to remind me of the Cardiff fans who, this time last year, thought they'd be playing in the Champions' League this season.

9. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

laudrup had no qualities as a manager for us or he would still be here.<ok> I admired him as one of the worlds best players but sorry as a manager of a premiership club then no way on this earth as he has proved . not all great players make good managers and laudrup is a clear example of that. Far to up himself thinking he was better than he was actually showing and turned down other premiership clubs for not being big enough. the man was only mentioned in the list of free managers for **** sake and he was still being arrogant he was far too big for those teams....do me a favour who would want a manager like that <laugh>

10. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

I bet your royally pissed off we have 15 points Bob and aren't sat in the relegation zone. Shame.

11. bigkidderz

bigkidderz Well-Known Member

Pointless thread.

How come there was never an ongoing Rodgers vs Laudrup argument? Or a Sousa vs Rodgers? Or a Sousa vs Martinez?

We never let comparisons infest this board before, I don't know why we are now. If you look at plain facts, it's Laudrup. But you also have to take everything into consideration. The difference in playing staff (quality will always be subjective), the oppositions' strength, quality and injuries (which changes over time and is also subjective), the weather and pitch condition at every match played...

Everything must be compared.

The only way to see who is unequivocally better is to give them the same playing staff starting from the same date against the same opposition at the same time in the same conditions. Impossible.

Laudrup did his job for us. Monk is doing his. They're different managers at different times. Comparison is subjective as they aren't operating on a level playing field and, therefore, agreement is impossible.

However, I do agree with the notion that those belittling Laudrup's entire reign are completely off their heads. That first season, bar the last 10 games, was poetry in motion.

12. LIBERTARIAN

First two lines,pretty accurate,but why no mention of the fact that we are the lowest scorers, by some distance, in the top 6.
    It would have given more balance to your post to have mentioned that.
    By not including that fact,your judgement comes into question,and your post is diminished.

Last line,not so good.
    Who is actually trying to make things look bad?
    Why do you feel the need to insist that posters should endlessly praise Monk?
    Some people are more measured in their assessments,and will doubtless issue praise when something praiseworthy happens,such as a top ten finish,and winning the League Cup. Oh,hang on a minute. <laugh>

13. LIBERTARIAN

Well said,that man.

14. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

I'm referring to the one or two posters who are constantly criticising Monk. Also, what part of 'some issues to be worked on' don't you understand? We are creating chances, but the players haven't been clinical enough. There would be a bigger problem if we weren't creating said chances.

15. LIBERTARIAN

So "some issues" is the inability to score goals. I see it all clearly now. Written in code then?

I still don't get your insistence re posters constantly criticising Monk. Aren't people allowed an honest opinion,or two? Is Monk that fragile a person?

16. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

I've also shared concerns regarding substitution choices and timing of the subs etc in the past. However, now that Bony is back on form, I hope to see us scoring more goals and being more clinical.
    That said, the way one or two criticise, you'd swear we have lost every game this season.

17. swanselona

swanselona Well-Known Member

For me, it is because this was the first manager who was actually sacked in quite some time, it split th efans down the middle of who supported Laudrup and who wanted him gone. I then created an "im right, your wrong" sort of feeling, so every-time Monk does well you get the ones against Laudrup singing his praises, and the the opposite when Monk does badly, you get those saying Laudrup would have been better,

The others left, so we had no choice in the matter.

18. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

And Flynny too. The likes of Martinez, Leon, Tate & LT10 arrived during his tenure..

19. LIBERTARIAN

Some people like to criticise,it's in their genes,but it doesn't have to be interpreted so negatively.
    Sometimes criticism is useful.
    Without it people can get complacent.

Take you for instance. You wouldn't be such a fantastic mod if it weren't for the likes of me chasing your tail occasionally. <laugh>

But in the real world,it doesn't mean anything.

20. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Self praise is no praise :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.