1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Monaco Grand Prix Awards

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by cosicave, May 26, 2019.

1. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Best Driver:
    Worst Driver:
    LuckiestDriver:
    Unluckiest Driver:
    Best Rookie/New Driver:

Best Team:
    Surprise Team:
    Worst Team:
    Best Overtake:

Biggest Surprise:
    Most expected result:
    Funniest moment:
    Excuse of the weekend:

Special Mention:

Race Rating: ?/10

2. moreinjuredthanowen

Best Driver: nicki lauda.
    Worst Driver: Charlie the clerc
    LuckiestDriver: Charlie boy for his dodgy little first corner stunt then getting away with a dodgy move in a corner you need other car to get right out of your way to survive. to try it twice is not just living on luck.
    Unluckiest Driver: ricciardo who was running ok in 5tg and lost out in safety car
    Best Rookie/New Driver: Alvon scored points
    Best Team: Mercedes.
    Surprise Team: only surprise I saw by end is how bad ferrari can continue to be.
    Worst Team: ferrari.. joke.
    Best Overtake: Charlie boy. did anyone else pass? I'll go for the one in hairpin on McLaren. the next one was just him getting away with one.
    Biggest Surprise: max verstappen let bottas away with it. first corner and max pulled out.
    Most expected result: Merc win
    Funniest moment: nothing funny about it
    Excuse of the weekend:

Special Mention: the poor **** who had to sit listening to hamilton all race. we only got about a tenth of it and I wanted to shoot myself.

Race Rating 1/10

cosicave likes this.
  3. cosicave

4. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Tricky one here, for all his wining Hamilton did a good job not to miss a single braking point with shanked tyres, however I feel Sainz did an unsung great job
    Worst Driver: LeClerc, got to desperate. However Stroll had an abysmal weekend miles off the pace and unable to keep out of others way
    LuckiestDriver: Vettel? Through no fault of his own mind.
    Unluckiest Driver: Ricciardo, was best of the rest till the safety car through a spanner in the works
    Best Rookie/New Driver: Russel's final lap was 0.1s quicker than the winners final lap <whistle> ... But more seriously Albon nailed this whole weekend

Best Team: Pound for pound, Toro Rosso
    Surprise Team: That Force Stroll Point were that bad?
    Worst Team: Pound for pound, Racing Point
    Best Overtake: Sainz, double overtake on the STRs

Biggest Surprise: A 5 sec penalty? Really?
    Most expected result: Track position is king
    Funniest moment: ermmm? Hamilton chasing white suit Rosberg with the champagne?
    Excuse of the weekend: "I can't keep them behind" - 50 laps after keeping them behind

Special Mention: Bono for not climbing off the pit wall, walking down to the track and throwing something at Hamilton

Race Rating: 3/10 - Monaco is expected to be abysmal so always gets an inflated score when something vaguely interesting happens

cosicave likes this.
  5. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Ricciardo - I was impressed by the time he made up to catch Grosjean with older tyres.
    Worst Driver: LeClerc - Tearing up his car going that fast with a puncture was amateur hour.
    LuckiestDriver: Verstappen - The expected drive through would have put him out of the points.
    Unluckiest Driver: Magnussen - Lost even more than Ricciardo through strategy
    Best Rookie/New Driver: Albon - On it all weekend

Best Team: Mercedes - Now and always.
    Surprise Team: Toro Rosso
    Worst Team: Ferrari for their qualifying **** up.
    Best Overtake: Leclerc on Grosjean.

Biggest Surprise: Someone else finished 2nd! Sound the claxon! Admittedly it was pure luck but still.
    Most expected result: Lerclerc crashing was quite predictable sadly.
    Funniest moment: Probably Leclerc dropping out of Q1.
    Excuse of the weekend: "I need a miracle"

Special Mention: Niki Lauda

Race Rating: 4/10

cosicave likes this.
  6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Hamilton , it turns out he was not crying wolf ( this time )
    Worst Driver: Stroll , just crap . I won't say Leclerc as it was understandable given how angry he must still have been.
    LuckiestDriver: Verstappen , should have been a drive through .
    Unluckiest Driver:
    Best Rookie/New Driver: Albon

Best Team: Mercedes
    Worst Team: Ferrari for their qualifying **** up.
    Best Overtake:

Biggest Surprise: Verstappen only getting a 5 sec penalty for being released into an on coming car in a crowded pitlane , when Giova… got 10 seconds for an incident at a slow corner .. maddening for me ..
    Most expected result: Merc Victory
    Funniest moment: Proabably Arrivabene's reaction to what's going on at Ferrari ( not that I have seen it ) .Or Wolf saying no other driver could do what lewis did . I beg to differ , it is Monaco after all.
    Excuse of the weekend: Well until after the race I thought Hamilton was just whinging . He cries wolf to often for my liking .

Special Mention: Perez nearly hitting the marshals , stewards giving 5 sec for the pit lane incident .

Oh and well done Honda 4 cars in the top ten .

I still want Horner / the Helmet and Max to end up with egg on their faces though …

Forgot to mention NIKI :(

Race Rating:3

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    cosicave likes this.
  7. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Hamilton - while he was whining so much he did manage to keep the car in front. Good job his rear tyres held out.
    Worst Driver: Stroll he just doesn't get better.
    LuckiestDriver: Max - 5 sec was way too little - maybe it was lenient to keep a slight interest in the race but that pit lane is so small it could have been a very bad accident.
    Unluckiest Driver: Riccy - strat and safety car didn't help him.
    Best Rookie/New Driver: Albon - he did very well all weekend.

Best Team: Merc just doing everything right, well apart from Lewis's tyres but still managed to stay in front - only in Monaco
    Worst Team: Racing Point or what ever they are called this week - more money has just not helped at all
    Best Overtake: CLC round Rascasse - first time, second he cut it too close to barrier.

Biggest Surprise: Only 5 sec penalty but maybe to keep Max in contention but sets a poor president
    Most expected result: Merc winning
    Funniest moment: Lewis recreating Red Bull Swimming pool without the people around.
    Excuse of the weekend: Monaco being a race!!!!!

Special Mention: Niki

Race Rating: 2/10

cosicave likes this.
  8. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Best Driver: meh.
    Worst Driver: Leclerc, hit the wall, punctured his tyre then wrecked the car getting back to the pits.
    LuckiestDriver: Verstappen, gets away with it again.
    Unluckiest Driver: Kubica, he was doing well.
    Best Rookie/New Driver:Albon, didn't get overtaken, didn't come last, didn't crash.

Best Team: Merc, as usual, the double stack almost worked too.
    Surprise Team: STR and, by extension, Honda, all 4 scored points.
    Worst Team: Racing Point, was never going to do well, it built for the power tracks.
    Best Overtake: Going for the one at Rascasse

Biggest Surprise:I made the thread, and forgot to vote.
    Most expected result: Merc on the podium
    Funniest moment:
    Excuse of the weekend: Any reason given for Monaco being included in F1.

Special Mention: Niki, Honda

Race Rating: 4/10 it was a blinder for Monaco.

cosicave likes this.
  9. moreinjuredthanowen

palmer on bbc destroyed Hamilton by pointing out ricciardo was able to drive the same tyres round at same speed no bother and then catch up when he had to.

Daniel should've whined loudly all race to get attention on how his team ruined his race. i suppose :)

10. Big Ern

he does make a great point about 92 though, you could probably drive around Monaco without being overtaken with canvas showing through. If you stick it in the middle of the track no one is getting a pass done.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

The only place hamilton needed rear tyres was accelerating into tunnel. Once he got that clean and verstappen couldn't try it on at the chicane it was a park it scenario. Theres a small chance if the bumps near start/finish upset you but its unlikely

The hairpin then is literally we can hit each other or not moment that nobody ever really get much joy out of

12. cosicave

Best Driver: Hamilton. Yes, despite hamming-up the difficulty of the wrong tyre choice.
    Worst Driver: Considering his position: Leclerc. Even after hitting the wall, he could (and should) have scored good points; but wrecking the floor like that showed too much adrenalin versus maturity. And Stroll for very different reasons...
    LuckiestDriver: Vettel gets this award too often, from me. So Verstappen – Not for the unsafe release (not his decision) but what he did to Bottas immediately after finding himself alongside was out of order. It was dangerous – especially in the narrow confines of Monaco – and deserved a much bigger penalty.
    Unlucky Drivers: Ricciardo and Magnussen.
    Best Rookie/New Driver: The easiest vote from this race: Albon. He's quietly getting on with the job and proving he's not just there to make up the numbers.

Best Team: Despite the strategic error with Hamilton's tyres, Mercedes.
    Surprise Team: Toro Rosso.
    Worst Team: I'll go with Ferrari this time. The team is in disarray and Binotto is beginning to look a man on borrowed time.
    Best Overtake: Leclerc at Rascasse, round one; and Sainz has equal claim on this award.

Biggest Surprise: Verstappen's penalty was too lenient. Unfortunately though, I have to say it smacks of politics – which is of far less surprise...
    Most expected result: Hamilton winning from Pole at Monaco.
    Funniest moment: Probably Hamilton's use of champagne, though I'm not sure Rosberg saw it in the same vein.
    Excuse of the weekend: I say this with a fair amount of cynicism: Hamilton's theatrics seemed almost scripted to intensify the experience for onlookers. He virtually admitted as much in the interview where it was clear he had not forgotten his own history. Yes, of course the wrong tyres made his job more difficult but his only real fear was being punted off by an over-enthusiastic Verstappen – which very nearly happened...

Special Mention: Niki Lauda. Honda.

Race Rating: 7.09/10. (The Monaco factor plays its part in my score; and for this venue without rain, it was better than average.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Number 1 Jasper and Big Ern like this.
  13. Big Ern

yeah, people try it a lot online, always the same result. I get myself DSQ'd from quali on purpose, let everyone go for about 10 seconds, put everything on minimum and just drive around, overtaking wrecks or cars in the pitlane replacing their front wings, podium from 19th last time.

14. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Could not agree more with Max penalty being lenient because of politics .

15. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the whole race so won't comment on all the awards, but surely the funniest moment has to be whichever one of the Williams' it was doing a three point turn in the middle of the race!?

I'm sure there aren't many people who can claim to have done a three point turn mid F1 race.

16. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Hamilton had every right to moan about his tyres... Especially when he had somebody like Max behind him who is a) going to push the crap out of him. b) likely put him in a position where he needs his tyres to respond.