1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Modric or Bale

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by No Kane No Gain, Aug 3, 2015.

?

Who would you rather have back in our squad?

1. Modric

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Bale

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Hopefully we'll be able to have them both back at Spurs someday but since we're playing Real Madrid tomorrow, who would you rather have back if you could only pick one?

The way Modric went about leaving still rankles but on the otherhand he's an incredible player and there isn't a better playmaker in the World for me. Meanwhile Bale left on better terms but doesn't have such a consistent effect on games. Still Bale's the more likely to give you that moment of pure brilliance, some of the goals he scored for us just left me speechless.

Really tough one, they're both a joy to watch but I think Modric just edges it for me, I think he'd add more to our current squad.

Over to you.

2. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Bale for me. Ability to win games on his own gets my vote. Plus the sheer exhilaration of watching him in full flight is worth the admission money on his own. Modric is a fantastic cog in wheel, but if he is setting up Soldado, then it's pointless.

3. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Bale for me too. Both great players, but all of us still remember games like the away to Inter game - I couldn't believe what I was seeing!..and how many times did he just produce a piece of magic out of nothing to win a game?

4. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Modric...so we can make him rot in the reserves for being such a petulant when he left...not that I hold a grudge!

Think I would have him over bale because he brought the best out of everyone he played with whereas bale simply covered for others lack of ability (no insult to bale intended by the way...loved the fact my kids got to see him play so brilliantly in a spurs shirt)

5. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

It would be a wrench to leave Bale if he was an option...but I think I would have Modric, just. Bale as a player was truly fantastic and spectacular and a once in a generation talent and all that, but a good team can compensate the the lack of that player, just as that player can paper over the cracks in the team, as Bale did. Modric, as others have said makes everyone play better and is also one of the best in the world in his position. What I would give to have either of them back though.

Can we have both please?

6. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

As an Arsenal fan, I would say Bale. He was a match winner for you and they are invaluable. That one season he had under AvB was top class in every way. His passing, shooting, finishing, speed and strength were remarkable. As good as Modric was, he never struck any fear into me whenever we played you. Bale on the other hand...

7. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Exactly! Players like Bale always do that to opposition sides. They also create space for other players as opposing defences are preoccupied worrying about nullifying him. They tend to double, or even triple mark players like Bale.

8. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Nice dream. Got to be Bale for you.

For me the question is Who would i rather see in a United shirt Bale or Modric? For me I would hate to see Bale go there and would rather he played for Spurs than United, and as for Modric he can go where he likes as didn't rate him as much as Bale who can singlehandedly win a game.
    good luck against United - a draw is my forecast

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Both great players but both shat on our club to get moves away so technically I wouldn't want either back BUT seeing as the whole point of thread is to pick one, I'd go for Luka.

Bale's the better player as he can win a game on his own but we have Kane and Eriksen who can also do that so as of right now, I'd say Modric would be needed more in our squad as it's lacked that creative spark at times and with his creativity, chances are Kane/ Eriksen/ Chadli could be even more effective in the goals department.

10. No Kane No Gain

I can understand the Modric one but being upset about how Bale left? He could've forced a move a long time ago but he was happy to play for us until Barca or Real came in for him, 2 clubs he'd idolised and always dreamed of playing for. Real Madrid like to put pressure on clubs but they also put pressure on players and Bale was told it was now or never by Madrid you can understand why he wanted to make it happen.

11. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fixed. <ok>

gooner4ever likes this.
  12. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Interesting question. The way these two players have developed, along with their differences in position and style, I would phrase the question differently in order to find my preferred answer:

Which do you prefer, a team player or a match winner?

I think one of the reasons Bale is struggling at Real is that he is the latter playing in a team of latters, with the biggest latter in the world (Ronaldo) playing right next to him. Until Ronaldo leaves and Bale is allowed to become the alpha male match winner (which I believe he can), he's going to have the fans on his back and will be suffocated by his galactico team-mates.

Luka, by contrast, is probably the best team player in world football right now with the decline of Xavi. He is a cog that will improve any team out there as a unit, but he lacks those explosive skills to win a match single-handedly. It is impossible for a cog to be suffocated by galacticos, as they are - like it or not - reliant on those cogs to create the match winning moments. Real are markedly worse when Modric is out injured than when Ronaldo is out (which is admittedly extremely rare as he is a machine).

Having said all of that, I would pick Modric every time; simply because his skill set as a team player means that he can most probably slot into any team, anywhere, and immediately impose his influence. Put Bale in a team and you have to set the team up to have him as the alpha male. All the idiots accusing us of being a one-man team under AVB can go do one - when you have a player of that calibre on your playing staff, not setting up as a one man team is pure idiocy and (as Bale is now discovering) will hinder the player's development.

So, putting Bale in the Spurs team of today would likely hinder the development of players like Kane and Eriksen, whereas putting Modric in it would likely bring the best out of Bentaleb, Kane, Eriksen, Chadli, Rose, Mason, Pritchard, even Lamela. When you've got a team full of potential like we do, it's Modric every day of the week.

I've always preferred watching a team playing as a harmonious unit. That's why Harry's team was so delightful to watch - the team was set up to get the best out of 11 players. Even those with the match-winning spark such as Bale and VDV never became the be-all-and-end-all of the club.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  13. No Kane No Gain

Nah, he turned down United, I think they'd have offered more.

14. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was under the impression that Levy turned down Utd, so they never got an opportunity to offer Bale anything. Not officially, anyway.

15. No Kane No Gain

Well yeah but Real Madrid hadn't made an offer either until fairly late on, when Bale was already angling for the move. United were desperate for a big signing at the time and I'm sure Bale was aware of the interest.

16. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

So much betterthan the **** today .
    wbat a cock up

17. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Bale

(But not for £100M)

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

No one really came in for Bale prior to the Madrid move so there's no real proof he would've stayed had Utd/ City made a significant bid pre-Real, I think Utd made their interest known at the time Madrid started tapping him up but by then his mind was set on a move to Spain. However, it was his antics prior to leaving that left a sour taste, just like Luka he refused to train and play and in my eyes that's disgraceful and disrespectful. I'll never begrudge a player moving from us to a bigger side like Real but have the respect for your current employers and get your head down and be professional until a sufficient bid is made and accepted.

19. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if his mate, Luca, was conducting things behind the scene, at the time, anyway!

Dier Hard likes this.
  20. yidokev

yidokev Active Member

Modric everyday of the week. Absolute genius. Natural ability just like Berbatov which can't be taught on a training pitch.