1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

MK Dons up next

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Thousands of happy Townies, nice to have you back Hampy!

2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Good performance in very difficult circumstances.To keep up that level of press and possession in that heat is testament to all the players and coaching staff who prepare them.PR is a happy place at present.

:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0159-musicWho's the pride of Anglia?:emoticon-0159-music:emoticon-0170-ninja

3. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

That's a nice balm for Tuesday's hurt.

2 wins and a draw from opening 3, can't not be happy with that.

We all know from bitter experience that good starts can ultimately mean nothing but it's certainly better than having to play catch up.

Top of the league

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  4. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Think Keogh for Wolfy may just happen.
    Work rate for me was bloody brilliant, play and work like that all season and we won't be far off.
    Most said Chaplin or JD man of the match but I have to say.... Morsy and Evans are quality in the middle of the park!
    Edwards looked absolute gash when he came on!

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  5. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Absolutely superb result, probably the best Town performance I’ve seen under McKenna. We completely outplayed MK Dons, a side that unfortunately look likely to struggle this season after a summer of change. Taking nothing away from that performance though, it certainly put a smile on Town fans’ faces. Top of the league as well, getting a sense of vertigo!

Donacien was so impressive, two assists to his name as well - one of the first names on the team sheet. Edmondson continues to make a strong case that he is one of the best defenders at this level. Davis also looked more comfortable and hopefully is getting match fit. Good to see Burns get on the scoresheet and look back to his best. The Morsy-Evans combination in midfield is balanced, hard-working, and ensures the ball is kept moving in our possession. We were sadly robbed of this combination due to injuries last season, but it’s good to see two talented players (on paper) are now starting to back up their reputations on the pitch. Chaplin was everywhere yesterday, capped off a strong performance with a goal and is laying down the marker for being one of the first names on the team sheet.

I didn’t have many concerns after yesterday’s performance, however, despite the hard work and running of Ladapo - I do question how many goals he can get for us. The lack of options from the bench - Jackson is all about pace and little end product and John-Jules is untested - doesn’t fill me with optimism that we’ll be having a potent strike force. Getting in a main striker must be the priority for the remainder of the transfer window. As mentioned earlier, Wolfenden did look a little sloppy and unfocused yesterday, but his form under McKenna has largely been impressive, so willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this time. Kyle Edwards also looks like the shadow of the player from West Brom a couple of years ago. Undeniably talented, I feel he needs a six-month loan move to get minutes and confidence back in his game.

Bit of a hungover ramble, but we’re top of the league!

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

It’s great to have Keogh on board, I’m sure he’ll mentor the likes of Woolfy and do well when called upon but we’re building a team and he’s not a long term player.

I trust in McKenna - I think we have to go all the way back to Joe Royle for the last time I had this much confidence in our football - so win, lose or draw if they keep on this path and keep building our only problem down the line somewhere is going to be keeping hold of this manager.

Hopefully he’s thinking of himself as a Manchester United manager or manager of a giant one day and doesn’t want a step in between us and them.

7. Southcoastoldgaffer

Hope he is not thinking too much about Man Utd, they could do with him back!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Redruth and San Diego like this.
  8. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Fantastic performance but what made it was the early goal. It forced the opposition (in this case MK Dons) to come out and try and play against us. In this sort of game, I would fancy us to beat anyone at this level. The problems come when we don’t score early and teams sit back and waste as much time as they can

9. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

There were those on TWTD who reckoned he was part of the problem at Man U,how wrong they were!!

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  10. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

I do find it amusing how solskjaer was sacked because he wasn't getting the best out of a "winning squad", now because "better managers" have failed miserably the squad isn't good enough.

Anyway, back to Ipswich, can't comment on individual performances based only on a few mins of highlights but i would find it a shame if Keogh did replace Wolfenden in the starting line up. This is a defence that has just claimed a clean sheet and hasn't exactly been leaking goals. Keogh is obviously here to play but I'd make him earn his place.

11. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Great result and from the highlights looked like a quality performance. You don't see that quality in the PL every week let alone League 1.

However agree with Nuggets, early goal helped and also playing a team like MK Don's, alot more space for our players. We seem to find it alot harder against teams who sit back, can't get what seems to be our preferred way of scoring atm cutting the ball back.

I do think we need another striker through the door however I think how we play under McKenna I think it unlikely they will get 20 goals a season. It seems like the striker in our team has a tough quite unthankful task uptop by himself, occupying defenders and making sure there's space for those behind him to run into.

12. Southcoastoldgaffer

And we all know that having two up front would be less of a task and more thankful! Just cant imagine why he wont try it - oh, yes, he did and it worked a treat 2 good wins!

Redruth and itfcptc like this.