1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mingolet

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Rubbersoul, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Rubbersoul

Rubbersoul Well-Known Member

Ever since he's been at the club there has been a lot of dispute regarding whether he should be our number 1.

After being dropped at the start of the season, he finally knew his position was under threat and when he came back into the squad he probably had his best ever season with ourselves.

I think he's a good keeper and with a great defence around him we will be fine but my main issue now is I feel he played at a good level last season because he knew he could be dropped for Karius as that's clearly Klopps preference.

Karius this pre season has still show nothing of why we bought him and looks like he will make a mistake at any time.

With that being said, Klopp cannot start Karius this season as he looks a liability so does that mean we will have Mingolet back to his coasting self where he knows he can't be dropped and can make a mistake here and there?

When we were linked with Casillas at the start of the window i thought that would be a great choice for ourselves. Well past his best but any fan would want him to start because who he is. Mingolet would not only learn from him but constantly looking over his shoulder and up his game.

I feel he should start but i am skeptical that he will go back into coasting mode when he knows we cannot start Karius.

Thoughts?

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think a Karius is good competition for Mingolet and with each season Karius will improve and be more of a challenge.

3. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Mignolet

Rubbersoul likes this.
  4. Rubbersoul

Rubbersoul Well-Known Member

I've seen nothing in him to say he will improve tho.

5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Yeah well he just will ok. :biggrin:

organic red and Rubbersoul like this.
  6. LuisDiazgamechanger

Karius game against Bournemouth I never like to watch it again because I recorded it. It was his fault that we lost.

7. saintKlopp

Mig needs to start -he improved considerably last season. From what I've seen of Karius he still looks nowhere near the required level and if he gets the nod ahead of Mig I'd expect the latter to lose his gruntle somewhat.

8. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

Mignolet for me.
    He clearly worked on his faults & it showed last season when his command of the box was much improved. I particularly liked the fact that he didn't chances trying to catch if it would be in "traffic" instead just charged out & punched.
    I did hope that once the goalkeeper improved the defence themselves might calm down & start making better decisions but unfortunately not :(

saintKlopp likes this.
  9. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

His main weakness was dominating his box and he seems to have really worked on that by going back to basics and punching it clear. I think under Rodgers he wanted Mig to retain possession and do it the British way of catching everything where as european keepers like to punch. With klopp probably accepting that way more because and Mig being more comfortable like that think it's made him far more confident.

His kicking has improved. He's still not brilliant but he's good enough to get by now. He can hit the half way line and it's not a made panic when rolled back to him. However if it's at any kind of pace or bouncing it will end up going for a throw - that's one thing he needs to work on.

10. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Migs goes through stages where he is good and stages where he is awful.

He's singlehandedly saved dog-number of games for us... At the same time he's thrown away boatloads of points.

It's a bit like the Dudek days. Although with Dudek you didn't know match to match if he would be crap or good. Mignolet tends to stay good or crap for months at a time.

Does he just lost interest/focus from time to time?

11. moreinjuredthanowen

thus far karius has been total ****e in preseason. Mingolet must start.

I sort of agree with milk. when mingolet focuses on the absolute basics and no risks in punching etc he doesn't make too many errors. Focus is key.

12. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

I have confidence in him, Karius looks worse than ever so **** knows if he'll ever work out - I doubt it tbh.

Ming has really improved, not a purple patch imo as I think he's learnt a lot and improved obvious weaknesses

13. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

There were about 3/4 games where we scrapped wins at the end of season and Mig made crucial saves late on in games to ensure some won. He won us about 6/7 points in those games which helped get us 4th. Can't argue with that

mighty_stevie_g likes this.
  14. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

Exactly, they're easy to forget because although you think 'yes mingo' you get more emotional about how **** the error leading to the chance was!!

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  15. Lucas Talking

Lucas Talking Well-Known Member

In the last few months, the "yes mingo" shouts have tipped the scale against "you ****ing mongo" shouts thrown at Mignolet. Much improved performances. If we can likewise shore up the defence (big if) he would be even more confident and reliable.