1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Millwall v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Aug 26, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Aug 27, 2017.
  1. Lions Win

50.0%
  2. Canaries Win

50.0%
  3. Stalemate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 5

Millwall 4 – 0 Norwich City
    FT

HT 3 – 0​

Attendance: 12,671

Date: Saturday 26th August 2017
    Venue: The Den
    Kick-Off: 03:00PM

Referee: Tony Harrington
    Assistant Referees: Daniel Leach & Darren Blunden
    Fourth Official: Ian Fissenden

KIO's not606 Match Preview

As summer draws to a close the football season is now well underway and Saturday sees Daniel Farke take his Norwich City side to South London to take on Millwall in Round 5 of the Sky Bet Championship campaign. City have got off to what can best be described as a stuttering start with just one win from their opening four matches so far. Having said that it is one better than Championship new boys Millwall who are still looking for their first three points of the season.
    The Canaries will be buoyed by their 4-1 demolition of Charlton midweek in the Carabao Cup, however the Lions will almost certainly prove to be far stiffer opposition than the understrength Addicks were.

Josh Murphy bagged a brace against the Addicks midweek

In their last league outing the Canaries put in an abject performance against Aston Villa at Villa Park losing by 4 goals to 2 with the final score probably flattering the visitors. City’s defence has once again proved to be shaky to say the least so far this term and if the Canaries are to mount a serious challenge for the top six and the end of season play-offs, Farke knows only too well he has to address this sooner rather than later.

Conor Hourihane was a hat-trick hero for Villa last Saturday against the hapless Canaries

Second bottom Millwall have only 2 points from their opening 4 league games so far. Last weekend they came away from Ashton Gate with a 0-0 draw against Bristol City and in their last outing on Tuesday they suffered a 3-1 defeat after extra time against Reading in the Carabao Cup at the Madejski Stadium.

Tom Elliott will have a late fitness test before Saturday's game against Norwich

In team news striker Tom Elliott is a doubt for the Lions while Norwich will be without frontman Cameron Jerome who is nursing a groin injury. Defender Timm Klose is now back in contention but won’t be risked while wing back Ivo Pinto is now fully fit and available for selection.

Ivo Pinto is back for the Canaries and available once again for selection

BBC Sport Match Preview Here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40983497

• Millwall are winless in their last four meetings with Norwich in the league, drawing once and losing three.
    • Norwich are currently enjoying a three-match winning run against the Lions - they've never won four league games in a row against the London outfit.
    • The Lions haven't won any of their last eight games in the second tier (D4 L4), last winning in April 2015.
    • The Canaries haven't won any of their last nine league games in London (D4 L5) since they beat Millwall in March 2015.
    • Norwich have hit four or more goals in their last two league games against the Lions (6-1 in December 2014, 4-1 in March 2015).

Sky Sports Match Preview Here:
    http://www.skysports.com/football/millwall-vs-norwich/preview/374676

Neil Harris’ Match Preview

Lions boss Neil Harris

Forward Tom Elliott suffered an ankle injury against Reading midweek and Harris said:

“We hope he will be fit. The call to include him will most likely be made just before kick-off.”

“He has had a huge impact, either off the bench or starting matches for us.”

“It'll be a case of waiting to see how everyone pulls through ahead of Saturday.”

“The boys are hungry for this one. When you look at the fixtures, this is one of the ones that stands out and everyone wants to be involved.”

“Norwich will bring a big following and we need our fans to turn up on Saturday, be the extra man and keep up that outstanding support.”

Daniel Farke’s Match Preview

Daniel Farkes urges the Canaries to match Millwall's fire (pinkun.com)

“It’s always the same when you play a team who has just been promoted they always fight to stay in the league, they are always there with a big togetherness and a big will to get some points.”

“They [Millwall] are a really physical team and will be really emotional so it’s important for us to be awake and win the second balls because they often try and win the second balls and then use lots of counter actions. So we have to control the counters.”

“I think it will be a game with a high intensity so it will be good if we can control the game. We have to be awake from the first second because they are a team that always works very hard and fights together.”

“When you watch their first few games, they had two really close draws and then they had a crazy game against Ipswich. I expect a really close game tomorrow but we want to improve our situation and get a good result before the international break. That’s what we’re planning to do.”

“We deserved to beat Charlton and there were lots of topics that I was content with. But I think we have to work a little bit more on our rhythm because it’s a very important part of our game.”

“I want us to fight when the opponent has the ball but I also want us to relax and recreate when we have the ball. In the last few games, I’ve had this feeling that we were too hungry to score. We have to change a little bit our balance and rhythm against the ball.”

“All the guys have told me I will probably learn some new English words! I’m prepared for this and I like the good atmosphere, I enjoy when you go to places with emotion.”

“Normally for a footballer and a competitor, it’s nice to play against a whole stadium. It will be a special atmosphere.”

Current Form (Last 6 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Millwall

LDLDWL

MILLWALL HOME

Millwall have scored in 13 of their last 20 home games, going on to win 11, draw 1 and lose 1 of these matches.

Millwall have won 55%, drawn 30% and lost 15% of their last 20 home games.

Millwall have kept a clean sheet in 55% of their last 20 home games.

Norwich City

WLWLWD

NORWICH AWAY

Norwich have won 15%, drawn 30% and lost 55% of their last 20 away games.

Norwich last kept a clean sheet away from home 11 games ago.

Norwich have conceded in 90% of their last 20 away games.

MATCH STATISTICS www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

Saturday’s game will be the 81st competitive meeting between the two sides the Canaries having the upper hand with 35 wins to the Lions 25, there have been 21 drawn games.

League Games 74

Millwall Wins: 25
    Norwich Wins: 29
    Draws: 20

FA Cup Ties 1

Millwall Wins: 0
    Norwich Wins: 1
    Draws: 0

League Cup Ties 4

Norwich Wins: 3
    Draws: 1

Simod Cup Ties 1

Norwich Wins: 1

Zenith Data Systems Cup Ties 1

Norwich Wins: 1 (On Penalties)

Historically the Canaries have found it difficult to overcome the Lions away from home in League fixtures mustering a mere 8 wins in 37 attempts. Likewise Millwall have a pretty woeful record in Norfolk winning on just 5 occasions in 37 visits to East Anglia.

Millwall have never beaten City in any Cup Competition.

Norwich's biggest margin of victory against Millwall is 6-1 a feat they have achieved twice. The first was on 21st December 1985 at Carrow Road in League Division Two, the second was on Boxing Day 2014 in the Championship also at Carrow Road. The Lions beat the Canaries by the same scoreline on 28th August 1926 at the old Den in a Third Division South encounter, but they bettered this on 4th March 1939 when the two sides met in a League Division Two clash also at the old Den when they thrashed City 6-0.

Six-Up for City on Boxing Day 2014

There have been two other fixtures that have seen seven goals, the first was a 4-3 win for the Canaries on 28th April 1954 at Carrow Road in Division Three South, the second was a League Division Two match at Carrow Road on 2nd December 1967 when City ran out 5-2 winners.

One of the most entertaining games between these two sides with a dramatic finish was an early 'live' televised League Division One match at Cold Blow Lane on 22nd January 1989. Having led by 2 early goals Norwich were pegged back to 2-2, as the match entered the final minute of added time Canaries legend Robert Fleck popped up to score a late, late wonder goal to claim the spoils for the Yellows.

A dramatic finish at Cold Blow Lane in 1989

Highest Millwall Score

Millwall 6 Norwich City 0

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 6 Millwall 1

Highest Aggregate (7)

Millwall 6 Norwich City 1
    Norwich City 4 Millwall 3
    Norwich City 5 Millwall 2

Club Connections

Those to have played for both Millwall and Norwich City include:

Malcolm Allen, Jens Berthel Askou (Millwall loan), Kenny Brown, Tony Cottee, Dion Dublin (Millwall loan), Neil Emblen, John Fashanu, Adrian Forbes, Lewis Grabban, James Henry (Norwich loan), Jos Hooiveld (Norwich & Millwall loan), Darren Huckerby (Millwall loan), Simeon Jackson, Harry Kane (Millwall & Norwich loan), Kevin Lisbie (Norwich & Millwall loan), Andy Marshall, Steve Morison, Graham Paddon, Andy Roberts (Norwich loan), Tony Warner (Norwich loan) and Zak Whitbread.

City legend Darren Huckerby had a loan spell with the Lions

Did you know?
    City’s Wes Hoolahan trialed with the Lions as a youngster

Former Millwall manager and Scottish International Willie Donachie played for the Canaries in the 1980s

Rio Ferdinand who was once the world’s most expensive defender had trials as a youngster with both Norwich and Millwall

Bruce Rioch has managed both the Canaries and the Lions

Much maligned ex City boss Glenn Roeder scouted for Millwall in 2013

Former Norwich Academy Coach Paul Wilkinson was a player with the Lions

Millwall were founded as ‘Millwall Rovers’ in 1885 but last played in the Millwall area of the Isle of Dogs in 1910

Millwall Rovers with the East London Cup in 1887

In 1937 Millwall became the first third tier club to reach an FA Cup semi-final losing 2-1 to eventual winners Sunderland

Third Division Norwich City usurped this achievement when they took Luton Town to a semi-final replay in 1959

Norwich, Birmingham and Millwall were in a three way battle for promotion to Division One in season 1971-72. Norwich were eventually promoted as Champions while Millwall just missed out finishing a solitary point behind Birmingham in third place.

TEAM LINE UPS:
    squad (1).jpg

Listen to full match commentary on BBC Radio Norfolk

95.1 / 104.4FM, 855kHz & DAB Digital Radio

With Chris Goreham

and Guest Match Summariser Cédric Anselin

…… And don’t forget to tune in to #canarycall post match
    with Cédric and Rob Butler

OT
    C

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Great thread again KIO

KIO likes this.
  3. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Cracking read KIO. Look forward to reading these. <ok>

KIO likes this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, excellent thread as per usual and the optimist in me is going for a Canaries win. I just feel that DFF's coaching/tactics is getting through to the players and should we lose, then I'm certain it will only be by the odd goal.

KIO likes this.
  5. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

What a load of garbage <whistle>

Seriously Rich, your MDT's are always high quality and as gandy says, make excellent reading material <cheers>

Let's hope it wins the three points you so RICH-ly deserve. (See what I did there?) <hug>

KIO likes this.
  6. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Millwall like Villa last week have yet to win this season ............

....... #alongcomenorwich <doh>

ncgandy and JM Fan like this.
  7. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

I don't often say this - but I would really prefer it if you lot smashed the wall today ....... just saying :emoticon-0148-yes:

8. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Smashed it KIO! Well done again mate! <applause><bubbly>

KIO likes this.
  9. Forgot_My_Lines

Not at all confident: #alongcomenorwich, but I've predicted a win. They have to shock us one of these days. Of course, need to wait to see his starting-line up.

10. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Take a trip to the wally board, they like the company :emoticon-0148-yes:

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Is there tumble-weed over there?

12. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

13. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Queue meltdown over that CB partnership?

JM Fan likes this.
  14. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Hmm, Martin in ahead of Zimmerman :emoticon-0112-wonde

Edit:- Line Up Graphics added to the OP <ok>

JM Fan and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  15. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I just went straight ahead and pissed my pants.

If we get a clean sheet today I will eat my hat.

DHCanary likes this.
  16. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I will eat your hat ! <yikes>

17. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

<laugh>

18. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

19. Forgot_My_Lines

Midfield and attack look ok.

...that defence though.... Jesus.

20. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Hoof it over the top and score .:emoticon-0136-giggl
    That seems to be a recurring philosophy against us.

: canarycall