1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mild-mannered Mark

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Captain Morgan, May 17, 2011.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

2. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

We've been very ill-behaved this month, unfortunately. While Hughes calmly and respectfully watched from the touchline, our boys went out and got another five yellows Sunday despite owning the game.

- side note, I thought Greening played very well on the wing.

3. RobespierreFFC

There was also the kicking of the bottles by sparky at the wolves game as well as the handshakes, though he's been very modest apart from that. We all need to cheer on the yids this weekend as they could still nick the fair play spot if we have a bad game in terms of discipline against arsenal and they finish in 6th below liverpool. Still, I'm already dead excited about a potential europa run, but don't wanna get ahead of myself!

4. Captain Morgan

I know what you mean, Robespierre. Like you, I'm trying not to count my Euro chickens before they are qualified.

Side point, there's a campaign at the moment to get football fans to stop referring to spurs with the y word, as many people find it offensive. I'm guessing that you haven't heard about it yet.

5. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

Don't use that word. Its racist and doesn't just refer to spurs fans- you might unknowingly affend someone else, maybe on your own board......

6. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Agree with the two above comments.

7. RobespierreFFC

Apologies everyone I didn't know about it. And sorry if it did offend anyone, won't happen again!

8. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

I'm interested in the debate about the "Y word". I abhor racism, sexism and ageism.

I find this particular example a bit strange - I have a few Jewish friends who are mixed about Goyim (non Jews) using the term, but who all use it themselves. Whatever you think of that; the language of the older people of the community (and much of the slang of the younger) is definitely YIDDISH - and that is without any negative connotation.

I think the main issue is when "Y word" is used to INTEND offence (which I firmly believe to be wrong) - the difficulty is determining offensive intent.

9. RobespierreFFC

To be honest the main reason I figured it was OK to use it in this case is because spurs fans often use it in reference to themselves in some of their chants. I guess some spurs fans have caught on to the term to ironically chant back at any people who may have originally used it with racist intent. Some of my friends are spurs fans and often casually use it themselves so thats where I've picked up on it. Though thinking about it, this is in many ways only going to encourage racism in football, so is best avoided. I can assure you all I had no racist intent in using it.

10. Captain Morgan

11. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

how about Spuds as an alternative?

12. rocky57

rocky57 Member

They love that one!

13. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

it's not racist is it? Definitely Potato-ist?

14. frogman27

frogman27 Member

Who would have thought that this would be happening. I seem to recall that there were a great deal of opposition fans telling us when we appointed Mark Hughes that we would soon be a team that hacked everyone down and lumped the ball up front. A team that like it's manager would be tough tackling and hard nosed. Yet. Here we are on the cusp of fair play victory. May be part of Roy lives on in the players mind set, or may be big Mo has an welcome speech to his new managers that emphasizes fair play and good nature as a way into Europe. I am glad we were up against Holloway, who as much as I love his mad rants, has probably not gone down too well with the powers that be.

15. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Who needs a moderator when we're unwilling to use the Y word. Spuds works for me.

16. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

On the title of thread - our water-bottle kicking manager is a heck of better example of management than some of the other high-profile managers who think they are above the FA and acceptable standards of behaviour.

As to the "Y" word, while I dislike political correctness, it's a definately no-go. But I'm still very pleased that spuds beat Liverpool.

17. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

Even that was very petty- when Mark asked why he had been sent to the stands, he was told it was for abuse of a water bottle. That is a new one.

18. Captain Morgan

'Spuds' doesn't offend me. I just don't like it. Personally, I've always been happy just to call them 'Spurs', radical and innovative though that may be.

Warning: wandering massively off-topic alert:
    GeraScores, what's your beef with political correctness? a reasonable working definition (pinched from Wikipedia) is 'a term used to describe language, or behaviour, which is claimed to be calculated to provide a minimum of offense, particularly to the racial, cultural, or other identity groups being described.' If we choose our words in a way that avoids offending others, that's a good thing, no?

Most of the time I hear people bewailing 'political correctness', they usually turn out to be complaining about some restrictive health and safety related thing - banning of playing conkers in the playground, etc - which may or may not be nitwit-headed idiocy (that's a whole other debate) but which has nothing to do with political correctness.

19. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

To be clear, I dislike the Y word and think it entirely in appropriate. In the same way as using other such terms about groups hat people find offensive.

Captain, I used political correctess as a figure of speech, and am happy not to debate that subject on this board, in relation to H&S or any other area.

20. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Or it could be that Mark Hughes is a manager who sets his teams up to make the most of what they have and tries to cover their weaknesses. He identified the best way to make that Blackburn team successful. Thankfully we've got better players than that! :D