1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Midlands Nap Hand?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by PoolTiger, Dec 8, 2011.

1. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Based on what?! Cardiff sold all their players last summer and are left with a totally new team so if anything they are a year behind us. Leeds have got the same squad that played in league 1 for 3 seasons. They haven't signed anyone terrifying since promotion have they? This is what I mean, the temptation is there with City fans to accept inferiority even when it isn't there. I'm pretty sure Leeds and Cardiff don't have anyone like Stewart, Chester or Koren. They may well have better players in other positions and also have very good squads, but there's no way either of them have better players than us overall.

I say it all the time and it's going to have to come out again, Leeds being successful in the 70s has no effect on now and should not be considered in this year's promotion race. The same goes with other teams that have a 'better' history than us. We're there on merit, we've hurdled loads of obstacles recently; we've been through an injury crisis, lost the manager, had to come back from some difficult positions in games and just played the league's top teams in a row. We have a run of games now involving some crap teams.

It certainly won't be a disaster if we don't make the playoffs, but as we're in them now we should definitely be aiming for it and expecting nothing less. Hoping to just cling onto the place we are in now is very negative you must admit?

2. westhulltiger

westhulltiger Active Member

I admire your optimism

3. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Fully agree with this.

4. westhulltiger

Maybe I am a bit of a pesimist but that comes with supporting Hull City over the years!

5. The FRENCH TICKLER

The FRENCH TICKLER Well-Known Member

Thanks and i also used to be a pessimist when dealing with Hull City. But in all my time supporting the club (almost 50 years) ive not seen such a young and vibrant team as this since the Wagstaff and Chilton era. Hence my optimism.

The Allams know what richies lay ahead - they just have to help Nick and the boys get there.

6. westhulltiger

I agree in that teh future is certainly bright, however I wont be too downbeat if it doesn't happen this season

7. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Agreed.

8. The FRENCH TICKLER

actually i shall be as we have a great team to get us up THIS SEASON. but what will be will be.

9. smidgen

smidgen Active Member

Don't you worry that we'll lose players if we don't go up this year? Saying that, I do feel we're still a work in progress and could do to consolidate, but it doesn't stop me from worrying.....<yikes>

10. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Much as I hate to credit Leeds with anything, that statement's not really true, most of the current first team didn't play for them in League One(though four of the current starting XI aren't actually Leeds players) and one of the players they signed after promotion is currently the league's second top scorer.

Personally, I don't think there's a fat lot between our squads, our defenders are definitely better, but I'd be happy to see Snodgrass, Howson, Lonergan, McCormack, or Becchio, join us.

11. The FRENCH TICKLER

Snodgrass and Howson for sure. Not sure about the rest. McCormack has an attitude i dont like.

12. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

I think Leeds have more class and ability, and probably have the strongest team spirit in the division. At the moment. But all it will take for us to fall apart around February time will be a couple of poor results and a shattering of the squad's confidence along with all the inevitable Bates bullshit that the January window will bring.

ISTPLT, you're talking cack as OLM has identified. Going into our next game, only 1-3 of our players will have played for us in the third division with any regularity. We've signed Lonergan, McCormack (what's wrong with his attitude by the way; I've never seen it?!), Pugh and Clayton since getting promoted and seen the emergence of the dependable White and Lees. Then you've got Connolly, Sam and Kisnorbo who could all be bettered, but are looking safe as it stands. I rate the three League One regulars Snodgrass, Becchio and Howson among the best in the division.

I don't think anyone would seriously say no to them, McCormack, White, Clayton or Lonergan if they'd been watching us this season.

Hull don't have a better set of players in my opinion, but you have a side more likely to keep plodding along than we do, and you don't seem to suffer from the same kind of result swings that we've developed a knack of having. I put that down to a lack of leadership in our squad.

13. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

To be fair Ducky, alot on here get carried away.

I'd take Snodgrass, Mckormack, Becchio and Somma from you lot in an instant. Dunno about Howson- i've never really rated him. I've heard that Lees kid is doing well for you.

Long way to go yet.

14. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

So basically you've signed some players, but they aren't as good as the League 1 ones? ;)

This is actually a pretty good summary, our sides are fairly similar. It annoys me that in general City fans have so much respect for other sides and think they must be better than us, particularly just based on them being a 'big' club. Our local Radio basically said last night that even though we were playing well we had no chance of promotion because Leeds are a bigger name.

Anyway, it wasn't meant to be an anti-Leeds post or anything, I was just trying to promote some confidence in our team amongst City fans.

15. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

Erm...what a load of tosh. They say look at the league table after 10 games to get a fair reflection of where everyone is. Well it's now at 20 games and they sit above us in the table. If they're still there at 40 games will you make the same statement?

16. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I think you've missed by point. I was saying how relatively good teams were in the 70s has nothing to do with now, and shouldn't be considered. I didn't say any particular teams shouldn't be considered.

17. King Curtis

King Curtis Well-Known Member

Our biggest enemy on Saturday is complacency, if we work hard and do what we've been doing right then we should get another 3 points. It won't be an easy game, christ what games are in this league but if you're wanting to make a promotion challege you have to beat a side in the bottom 3.

18. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Actually they say playing for bigger clubs helps players to perform a bit better, in the sense that playing for a club with a high stature and large fan base helps kick an extra bit of confidence into them. In a way it makes sense but I'm not sure how accurate it might be, probably nonsense, but if the cogs are all in place ie there's a good spirit and the players like the manager, I can only see stature and fan base as being positives.

Actually back tracking a bit, playing for a big club at a level it's fans aren't used to could also backfire as expectation levels will most likely be higher than most other places.

19. The FRENCH TICKLER

i dont we have to worry about ANY COMPLACENCY judging by what Barmby and McLean were saying on the radio,

20. Chiltons222

Chiltons222 Active Member

I was being facetious and hoping to lure Kings Bollox or Prod Tiger out to play. But I got you instead!