1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Middlesbrough vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Feb 21, 2019.

1. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Middlesbrough vs QPR
    Saturday 23rd Febraury 2019 - 3PM
    Riverside Stadium

please log in to view this image

Travel;
    Drive; 4 h 27 min, 252 miles straight up the M1
    Train; 4h 12 min from Shepherds Bush Market to Kings Cross, from there on the Edinburgh Liner to York, then the Transpennine Express to Middlesbrough, then just under a mile walk.
    Cycle: Route 65, 24 hours, 285 miles.
    You know it is a long one when google also gives you the option to fly, up to Newcastle in 1H5mins then train down.

Previous Meetings vs Boro;
    Games won: 18
    Games drawn: 15
    Games lost: 17

Ones to remember;
    06 Sep 1966 Queens Park Rangers v Middlesbrough W 4-0 League Division Three
    04 Oct 1969 Queens Park Rangers v Middlesbrough W 4-0 League Division Two
    05 Mar 1983 Queens Park Rangers v Middlesbrough W 6-1 League Division Two

04 Mar 1998 Queens Park Rangers v Middlesbrough W 5-0 League Division 1
    11 Sep 2010 Queens Park Rangers v Middlesbrough W 3-0 League Championship
    26 Feb 2011 Middlesbrough v Queens Park Rangers W 0-3 League Championship

Ones to forget;
    26 Sep 1970 Middlesbrough v Queens Park Rangers L 6-2 League Division Two
    08 Nov 1997 Middlesbrough v Queens Park Rangers L 3-0 League Division 1
    05 Dec 2009 Queens Park Rangers v Middlesbrough L 1-5 League Championship

Players/managers who have played for both;
    John O'Rourke
    1966–1968 Middlesbrough 64 (38)
    1971–1974 Q.P.R. 34 (12)

Mikkel Beck
    1996–1999 Middlesbrough 91 (24)
    2000 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 11 (4)

Fabio Da Silva
    2012–2013 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 21 (0)
    2016–2018 Middlesbrough 48 (1)

Luke Young
    2007–2008 Middlesbrough 35 (1)
    2011–2014 Queens Park Rangers 24 (2)

Alex Baptiste
    2015-2017
    Middlesbrough FC 1 (0)
    2017-
    Queens Park Rangers FC

Curtis Flemming
    2016-2018
    Queens Park Rangers (Assistant Manager)
    2018- Middlesbrough (First Team Coach)

Match Preview
    After another heartbreaking night on Tuesday vs West Brom we now travel up to 5th place Middlesbrough. Boro's top scorer, Britt Assombalonga, is on 10 goals this year, and he along with Jordan Hugill (6 goals) will be looking to get the win that will cement Boro's position in the playoffs. They are only 3 points ahead of Derby who are 7th, and 6 points behind 4th place WBA, so they will be looking for all the points they can get to avoid dropping out the playoffs.

Their manager, Curtis Flemming, left us last year to take over at the Riverside, and so he will know our team well, and be aware of the danger posed by the likes of Freeman, and um, um, yeah, the other players too. Without wanting to promote a pre-match argument, for me we've completed faded the last few weeks, been weak defensively, and lazy up-front, with the energy and creativity needed to win games. That combined with consistently conceding late goals has seen lose 7 in a row, and slide down to 18th.

I'll update with team news when/if it goes on the official, but let me say now, MASSIVE RESPECT to anyone making the journey up north on Saturday. Hope you are pleasantly surprised and we manage to get something from the game. As always, no matter how bad it has been...

...COME ON YOU SUPER HOOPSA!

From the official:
    R’s to take advantage of Boro’s home woes?

QPR head up north this weekend to take on Middlesbrough in what will be the 50th game between the two sides.

The R’s and Boro have enjoyed some cracking games against each other in recent years and Steve McClaren will be hoping his current side can end their bad run when facing one of his old teams.

The QPR gaffer had a lot of success with the Teessiders in the early noughties but managed to get one over them in this fixture back in December with Nahki Wells scoring the winner.

In truth, neither team are in great form heading into this match. Boro have only won one of their last four games which by their very high standards is slightly disappointing and leaves them seven points off the top two.

There’s still plenty for Tony Pulis’s side to play for but if they are to go up then they must address their home form in the final two months of the season. Middlesbrough have picked up the fewest amount of points out of all the teams in the top half of the table and have yet to win a home league fixture this year.

As for QPR, well the R’s simply need to find a way to bring something back to Loftus Road to stop the rot that McClaren’s side are currently enduring. Having been in such a positive position at the start of 2019, the R’s now find themselves 18th in the league.

QPR’s performances have deserved more but it’s the points on the board that matters and the R’s have been lacking in that department of late.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  2. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

We are bottom of the form table over the last 5 or 6 games so you would think a tonking is on the cards. However, my rose tinted memory is that we can do ok against this lot so.......

QPRski likes this.
  3. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

So........not holding my breath

UTRs, Uber_Hoop and kiwiqpr like this.
  4. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

From what McClaren has been saying Freeman is likely not to have recovered from the injury he got against WBA, and Eze is likely to play. Eze will need to step up from his recent form, but he did show a bit Tuesday. Boro were crap last time we played them but I'm afraid we'll struggle without Freeman.

QPRski likes this.
  5. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Oh groan. Do we have to?

6. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Please make this stop.......

UTRs, QPRski and kiwiqpr like this.
  7. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

I have noticed less and less enthusiasm around the match day threads recently. Shall I start only posting them the day before a match so not to remind you all we are playing again too far in advance?

DT’s Socks and kiwiqpr like this.
  8. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Personally I think it's grand Dave, the enthusiasm will be rekindled once we win again, I'd say most of us are a tad fatigued at the moment......

daverangers, Steelmonkey and QPR Oslo like this.
  9. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

WE'RE GONNA WIN, WE'RE GONNA WIN, WE'RE GONNA WIN!!

There, I've said it!

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  10. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

It's taking me a while to find a nice picture for home games so the more advanced the notice the better

11. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Tuesday ( next home game) start the research now, you have all weekend

kiwiqpr likes this.
  12. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

I went early last season when we played some really good football under Holloway, drawing plaudits from all my Boro supporting clients for the quality of our football, not to mention the appreciative travelling support. Then as now it was a duff defence which led to us losing 3-2 undeservedly. Then as now we had crucial first teamers unavailable

13. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

McLaren has said Freeman's injury is not as serious as thought and he and Hall may make the bus to Boro. Cameron and Rangel still 2 weeks off a return.

14. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Well I hope we're not paying any wages for them. Assuming, not it seems odd that we let most of our backups go out on loan while at the same time not trying to recruit some short term loan signings. The last time this happened Saint Harold almost frittered away our chance of promotion by refusing to sign short-term replacements and cover for Charlie Austin and the perennially injured Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson.

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  15. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

I'm up North already in a very sunny Saltburn

Fantastic top floor apartment overlooking the sea

I suspect the low spot of the weekend may be 1700 tomorrow :emoticon-0106-cryin

Tramore Ranger and Stroller like this.
  16. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Rangel was a free agent so we'll be liable for his wages whether he plays or not....
    I'd guess that stoke are paying the majority of Cameron's wages seeing as they "won" millions of pounds for being rubbish last year and have the first year parachute payment swelling their coffers...

17. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

We must be hard up if they’re not flying.

18. DT’s Socks

DT’s Socks Well-Known Member

Nope Dave
    Been on my mind this one and your match threads start us all getting excited imo
    Especially Boro who I think will go up.
    They are a boring team but strong can’t see us winning up there maybe a lucky point ... so therefore we will win 2-0

19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I don't think there's any less enthusiasm around your match day threads Dave, the recent West Brom one garnered 13 pages. I just think the fan base is a bit in limbo at the moment. We've gone from despair to hope to nonchalance and back to despair pretty damn quick this season.

Keep up the good work mate, the threads will find their own level regardless. It's all been a bit of a weird season, we've broken records on the positive front ie winning away at Forest, keeping more clean sheets and winning more games away and having a semblance of a cup run. But on the other hand we haven't won in the league this year and are no better off than we were under Holloway last season. Same points total I believe, can't be arsed to do the research.

****ing QPR eh? Following them brings very rare moments of delirium and tonnes and tonnes of disappointment but we still keep on hoping and buying into it but at least we are all in it together. It's like following some sort of mad cult. You know it's wrong but you've been indoctrinated. David Koresh has nothing compared to us.

Keep it up Dave, the match day thread is one of the focal point's of this board.

20. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

Quality as ever Dave - always look forward to your efforts

Tramore Ranger likes this.