1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Middlesbrough @The Riverside 9/4/2016

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Apr 7, 2016.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

A rare trip to the North East although it could be at least two trips there next season although doubt whether we will be going to the banks of the Tees next season. My penultimate away trip this time takes me to a new ground to see North End take on a side that in my view will be going up in a few weeks time.
    Having had a major wobble recently with the manager Karanka on the verge of leaving, looks like they have had a clear the air meeting which has obviously worked the oracle.they have won all three games since then and are now just one point behind Burnley with a game in hand.
    They have a decent squad and added players on loan like Ramirez from Southampton who if memory serves me right cost the Saints well over £10 million, they have also added Jordan(he scores when he wants) Rhodes although his record is not as good at the moment but he did score a canny one at QPR last week. They also have the Nugent, a hero in the PR1 area having played for us for three seasons, should get a brilliant reception from the visiting throng.
    We drew with them on the opening game of the season in a game which we were proved we can mix it at this level.
    Following Tuesday defeat the play offs are still a possibility if miracles happen but the good news is none of the bottom three can catch us.
    Probably will be a much changed side with Clarke, Woods, Hugill all doubtful and Reach unavailable as he cannot play against his parent club. With the pressure all on Boro we could have caused some damaged however think this is a home banker given the injuries we got on Tuesday night, very difficult game so take the impending defeat and get ready to send MK Drongs closer to relegation a week on Saturday.

2. themaclad

A narrow and if I may say slightly undeserved defeat for the Whites on Teesside, against second in the league Middlesbrough, we started well and in my view were the better side for long periods of the game. At the highly impressive Riverside stadium North End showed that are nobodies pushover.
    As I said we started well with the some decent football forcing Boro back, although in the early stages did not come close to scoring although Ayala cleared a super cross from Gallagher as Robinson looked to head home at the back post.
    North End who had too make four enforced changes also left Browne out and you feared for our understrength backline but for the first 20 minutes or so they were not unduly troubled. But as they started to get in the game Boro began to exploit the gaps down the wing with both Nsue and Ramirez giving Cunningham a hard time mainly due to Robinson not been the best at defending form his wing position. Nugest and Stuani had gone close and Lindegaard had spilled an easy cross which Nugent fired towards goal only to be denied by a good block from Huntington.
    You sensed a goal was coming and just after the half hour Boro scored, take nothing away from Adomah's finish but as the ball came across Wright slipped and gave the Boro man space to finish neatly.
    Resigned to defeat as I was hoped we could get to half time only one down, we did but only just, Nugent was denied by Lindergaard and again when Huntington cleared across just before Nugent was ready to slot the ball home.
    A subdued atmosphere for the second half as the vast majority thought the game was over, which it wasn't, North End possible should have been level but Huntington header lacked direction. A goalmouth scramble failed to bring an equaliser how was a mystery to me as Boro cleared to safety, then Vermijl fired in a rocket of a shot which Konstantopoulos did well to scramble away with the help of his defenders. A Garner shot went narrowly wide and from then on in although dominating never really got close to the Boro goal. The home side rarely threatened in the second half although a free kick went narrowly wide as did another effort from Adomah.
    Boro clung on for the points to edge closer to the top division.
    Having set off in glorious sunshine, it was surprising to see snow on the hills and the gritters out in Preston can only mean the cricket season starts tomorrow.

Middlesbrough 1 Preston North End 0 Att 26390

Middlesbrough boss Aitor Karanka:

"It is important to win at this time of the season. Now we have our game in hand but we cannot think we have the three points in our pocket already. Every point is gold.

"We don't want to be in the Championship next season. At the beginning of the season. the aim was to get in the play-offs.

"With the experience we have had from last season, with six games to go, we are there but now we have to forget the play-offs and promotion and just concentrate on the next game.

"The key was the crowd. Sometimes, when you don't feel their support, you are going down but, with them behind us, the team is confident. We are more than together."

Preston manager Simon Grayson:

"We are hugely disappointed that we haven't got a result. We had four players out from the other night.

"We didn't have a full bench but we created them problems and not many sides can say that about that when they come here.

"We really played well and, but for some misses and good saves, we could have got something out of the game.

"You could see the relief for everyone from Middlesbrough at the final whistle. We have some big games to be still involved in. We want to finish as high as we can."

3. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

It is no use complaining about 'a frustrating day'. Everyone has them even against NE. Just to make sure wee pulverise MKD on Saturday. See The Lashers are sink once again. Shame really...no it isn't! Bloody good laugh! They should not have flown that banner!

4. themaclad

Yet if you have a joke at their expense they can't take it, glass houses stones etc

5. themaclad

Boro forward Stuani given a retrospective three game ban for elbowing Cunningham during the game the incident was missed by the referee but picked up on television. Boro's boss thinks it is harsh, I don't I think it's fair

6. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

The luck was with 'Borough on that day. He should have taken the early bath.