1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Middlesbrough Deepdale 29/10/2022

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Oct 27, 2022.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

LAST TIME OUT

FORM GUIDE

PNE 10 BORO 9

MANAGER

MANAGER

Michael Carrick

After retiring, Carrick became a coach at Manchester United and was given a position as part of the coaching staff with Kieran McKenna under Jose Mourinho's management, after the departure of Rui Faria. He worked with Mourinho until the latter's departure on the 18 December 2018 then working with Ole Gunnar Solskjær for the remainder of the 2018–19 season, the entirety of the 2019–20 and 2020–21 seasons, and for a segment of the 2021–22 season until Solskjær's departure at the club.[215] On 21 November 2021, after Ole Gunnar Solskjær left his role as manager, Carrick was named caretaker manager.[216] Carrick's first match in charge was an UEFA Champions League tie away at Villareal which United won thanks to late goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and a first United goal for Jadon Sancho, sealing United's place in the last-16 of the competition.[217] Following a 3–2 victory against Arsenal, on 2 December, Carrick stepped down as first team coach and left Manchester United with immediate effect.[218] During his three match reign as caretaker manager, he recorded two wins and one draw, with United also having drawn with Chelsea in his first league game as United manager.[219]

On 24 October 2022, Carrick was appointed head coach of EFL Championship club Middlesbrough.[220]

Notable Boro fan

Christopher Anton Rea (/ˈriːə/ REE-ə; born 4 March 1951)[1] is an English rock and blues singer and guitarist from Middlesbrough. He is known for his distinctive, husky singing and slide guitar playing,[2][3] with the Guinness Rockopedia describing him as a "gravel-voiced guitar stalwart".[4] After learning to play the guitar relatively late, a short burst of local band activity led to him launching a solo career in 1978.

Louder magazine calls Rea "rock's ultimate survivor", given his recovery from several bouts of serious illness.[5] He has produced 25 solo albums, with several from his later blues period – such as Blue Guitars (2005) – having multiple discs. British Hit Singles & Albums says that Rea was "one of the most popular UK singer-songwriters of the late 1980s" and "already a major European star by the time he finally cracked the UK Top 10 with the release of the [1989] single "The Road to Hell (Part 2)..." his 18th chart entry."[6] Two of his most successful studio albums, The Road to Hell (1989) and Auberge (1991), topped the UK Albums Chart.[6] His other hit songs include "I Can Hear Your Heartbeat", "Stainsby Girls", "Josephine", "On the Beach", "Let's Dance", "Driving Home for Christmas" (which frequently reappears on the festive charts), "Working on It", "Tell Me There's a Heaven", "Auberge", "Looking for the Summer", "Winter Song", "Nothing to Fear", "Julia", and "If You Were Me", a duet with Elton John.[7] Rea was nominated three times for the Brit Award for Best British Male Artist: in 1988, 1989 and 1990.[citation needed]

Rea has never toured the United States, where he is best known for the 1978 single "Fool (If You Think It's Over)," which reached No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent three weeks at No. 1 on the Adult Contemporary chart. This success earned him a Grammy nomination as Best New Artist in 1978. A decade later, Working On It topped the Mainstream Rock chart. As of 2009, Rea had sold more than 30 million records worldwide.[8]

Won't be there possibly on the road till Christmas

In The Dressing Room

Andrew Hughes is back on the grass after missing last weekend’s game with a thigh injury, but a late decision will need to be made over whether Saturday will come too soon.

Greg Cunningham should be available to Ryan Lowe after recovering from a bout of illness, as he felt the after effects of the bug which went through the group a few weeks back.

Having recently had his appendix removed, central defender Patrick Bauer is now back in training, but he is not likely to return until after the World Cup break.

A Look At Our Visitors

A new era begins at Boro this weekend, with former Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick taking charge of his first game following his appointment as head coach earlier in the week.

Chris Wilder had began the season in charge at the Riverside and with high hopes of pushing towards the Play-Off places, but performances and results didn’t materialise, and a change was made.

Despite currently sitting 21st, given the nature of the division this season, it is certainly not too late for Carrick to go in at Boro and change their fortunes to push towards that top six.

Going Head To Head

Games played: 105
    PNE wins: 33
    Draws: 26
    Middlesbrough wins: 46
    Last meeting: PNE 4-1 Middlesbrough, 7th May 2022

One To Watch

As is always the case when a new manager takes over, it’s tricky to predict his first XI, but it would be a surprise to see Isaiah Jones anywhere but the starting line-up.

Jones – who signed from Tooting and Mitcham in 2019 – broke through onto the scene at the beginning of last season, going on to register eight assists in the Championship, and his impressive performances have carried over into this campaign.

The right wing back already has two goals and three assists to his name this term, and he is reportedly attracting the attention of a few Premier League clubs.

Match Officials

Gavin Ward will take charge of his first PNE game of the season on Saturday.

He last refereed North End in December 2021 – a 1-0 defeat at Ewood Park – while the last time PNE won with Ward as the main official was in February earlier that year, in the fantastic 3-2 victory away at AFC Bournemouth.

So far this season, Ward has shown 45 yellow cards in 13 matches, and he will be assisted this weekend by Matthew Jones and Adam Crysell, with Peter Wright on fourth official duty.

https://www.mfc.co.uk/

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/

Newbies

https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=11480

MACS VIEW

The club seems to be of a shambles on and off the pitch at the moment, no talks of new contracts for a whole host of first team players, two goals scored in home league games this season and the roof in the Town End is leaking add into this heady mixture the collapse at Bloomfield last weekend, being a North Ender is a tough ask at the moment.
    And now a game against a Boro side who will be upto show the new manager what they can do, no idea where we appear to be going but the portents for the future seem a little grim at the moment

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

While the defeat to B'pool was hard to take, there were significant external factors contributing to the defeat. Firstly, important defenders were missing and then Cunningham was caught short during the match involving a re-shuffle and Greg being replaced by Diaby who has hardly any Championship fitness. It seems as though NE are experiencing a topsy-turvy period due to injuries and sickness, evidence of lack of depth. Even appendicitis seems to be a factor. To say B'pool were the better team would be an exaggeration.I would say, based onreports and clips, the luckier.

themaclad likes this.
  3. barnetpne

I have always admired Carrick as a footballer and I sure he will make a fine manager. He may not have had the close ball skills of Gazza but he thought football like a Boby Moore, a classic defensive midfielder. 'Boro will advance to the Premeriersip within the next two years under his guidance.

4. themaclad

Preston North End 2 Riis, Storey Middlesbrough 1 Akpom

PNE line-up: Woodman; Potts, Storey, Lindsay, Fernández (Johnson, 86); Whiteman (Ledson, 56); Brady (Hughes, 76), Browne, McCann, Woodburn (Evans, 86); Riis. Subs not used: Cornell, Cunningham, Maguire.

Middlesbrough line-up: Steffen; Smith, Dry, Lenihan, Giles; Jones, Howson, Hackney, McGree (Mowatt, 86); Muniz (Forss, 71), Akpom. Subs not used: Roberts, Hoppe, Dijksteel, McNair, Bola.

Attendance: 16,984 (2,839 away fans).

Referee: Mr G Ward.

The mood around Deepdale matched the weather grim, however following Storey's late winner maybe some of the despondency may have been lifted. Change in system 4141, a couple of changes to the side, Browne coming back and playing in a midfield role.
    The new system got off to a faltering start, as the defence went missing after 8 minutes, as Akpom scored easily at the back post from a corner, new manager early bounce for Carrick.
    We were slow and ponderous in possession sideways and backwards, the home crowd started to get restless early on and the sinking feeling kicked in early. A break in play my have helped us, following it we upped the tempo, started to get into better position and started to get some tackles in. Both sides had loud calls for penalties, ours a handball, to be honest didn't see it just cursed Woodburn who should have buried it from ten yards instead of hitting the defender, almost immediately Jones went down in the box was eased off the ball but milked it.
    Crowd was actually behind the side for the first time in weeks and then the Great Dane struck. Ball into the box, bounced nicely at Riis feet, he hammered it home, the goal galvanised Boro and they came storming back should really have gone ahead Akpom missed an easy chance from about 10 yards out.
    The second period more subdued than the first both sides got men behind the ball and were proving hard to breakdown, we did have the ball in the net apparently offside and Alvaro had two shots in quick succession, but as tie ebbed away both sides seemed content with a point until a late free kick, Ledson's ball was headed back across goal by Lindsay his fellow centre back Storey nodded in the winner.
    It gives Mr Fantastic some breathing space and hopefully will give the team confidence as they go into Tuesday's game against Swansea

Preston North End manager Ryan Lowe told the club's social media team:

"I said to the group the performances have been good, we just haven't had the results. Overall I'm pleased with the group. We had a week to get some freshness into them, and the lads took everything on board today to beat a team with good players and a new manager.

"We've found a way and been resolute, we changed it at half-time in terms of changing those on the left and right around and it paid off.

"I think we've sent the fans home happy today. They were fantastic, I thought when we went a goal down they stuck with the group and we need that, that bit of patience is recognised by the group and they respond and it certainly helped us get the result."

Boro boss Michael Carrick told BBC Radio Tees:

"I knew it wasn't going to be a fairy tale or all straightforward - I would have been very naïve if I'd thought that.

"It was a tough game, I thought Preston played some good stuff and caused us some problems. Going 1-0 up gave us something to hold on to in some ways rather than doing what we were trying to do with the ball. We looked a lot more comfortable in the second half at times.

"We'd have probably settled for a point given the way the game's gone and the week we've had but of course losing, it stings a lot.

"We've got a lot to build on, it's very early days. I'm getting to know the players and they're getting to know me and the staff and the direction we want to go in - you can't expect the first half to be too perfect. We just needed that extra little spark around the box to look ultra dangerous. Small steps, but we'll be looking to improve."

5. barnetpne

Personally, I tink under Carrick, 'Boro will progress.Well done to Riis and Storey. 2 good goals.

6. barnetpne

7. themaclad