1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread MIAMI GRAND PRIX 2023

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, May 4, 2023.

?

Who will finish first?

Poll closed May 6, 2023.
  1. Sergio Perez

16.7%
  2. Max Verstappen

41.7%
  3. Charles Leclerc

8.3%
  4. Carlos Sainz

8.3%
  5. Fernando Alonso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lance Stroll

8.3%
  7. Lewis Hamilton

8.3%
  8. George Russell

8.3%
  9. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

Really impressive drive from Max, very good one from George also.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

At least there's Danica Patrick to cheer things up. #swoon. :)

3. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

The entire lot feels artificial.

We have made regs where cars can run closer together, yet we press an overtake button to get past someone still. It’s an embarrassment.

Defending is a lost art. People just waving others through because they know it’s pointless trying.

After 2021 which was a cracking season, this has been totally underwhelming if not frankly dull as dishwater.

I’m gonna watch Imola to see if there’s some decent car upgrades around but if we still see the same stuff I’m probably gonna duck out of the FP1,2,3 sessions and quali, maybe just catch a race where possible and do some other things with the weekend time.

duggie2000, Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  4. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

The powers that be have not cared about the REAL F1 fans for a long time now .

It’s all about the money .

just look at the American Races and ones in the Middle East .

23 or 24 races is past saturation point IMHO by at least 3 or 4 races .

Sprint Races , oh please just bin them .

All that razzmatazz

I would love to hear Kimi going through all that crap .

Oh , Drive To Survive can F**K right off IMHO .

Justjazz, ched999uk and TopClass like this.
  5. SgtBhaji

IndyCar man... The racing and competition has been blowing F1 out of the water for years. It's just pure racing.

Justjazz and Big Ern like this.
  6. push

push Active Member

Wait till they get to Las Vegas.

7. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not sure how running the same strategy as 90% of the field is being hung out to dry. Ultimately he just wasn't quick enough at any stage. Didn't build a gap at the start on the medium and didn't close in on the fresher hards.

I realise you probably don't like Verstappen, but do you really think he needs a conspiracy to beat Perez?

I thought there was plenty of defending and good battling when you watched Hamilton and Leclerc trying to make their way up the order.

It's just that the Red Bull are so much faster. It's not really possible to balance things so cars with a 1.5 second plus advantage struggle to pass without killing the racing completely for everyone else.

F1's core problem is that it's had one genuinely competitive season from the last 11. Dominance happened periodically before 2013 of course, but since then it's become the norm.

Justjazz likes this.
  8. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Tyre management is a passion killer too. The Ferrari had zero race pace, but clearly CLC was conserving tyres to the extent that I thought he must have something wrong with the car. Sainz wasn't terribly worried about even remotely trying to stop cars overtaking him. The only one that really put his nuts out there was Magnussen.

Something is a bit broken this year, along with the ridiculous advantage RBR have. I'm a massive F1 fan, but even I'm really struggling here.

9. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ferrari are reminding me a lot of the 2013 Mercedes with the total lack of race pace. In general though I actually think the tyres are too durable. The two/three stop races we were getting a few years back were better entertainment than everyone doing 50 laps on the hards.

I thought Miami was the best race of the season so far, but that's very much damning with faint praise. I do agree the season has been pretty dreadful, 2023 is battling it out with 2015 for last place of the seasons I've seen.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  10. moreinjuredthanowen

I genuinely do not get the whinging about red bull from mercedes.

for 8 years other teams had to endure them being a second faster in quali ofr 30 seconds down the track.

go build a better car

11. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Yeehaa does it better, drivers even provide some after race entertainment.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  12. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

That is the adrenalin still pumping and 'punching'. F1 has definitely gone in an unpopular direction with the original fans of the series. I fear it is only going to get worse.
    I think we need AI to create a series that brings back the heritage. Of course it would only be digital but produce brave characters, with integrity, engineering ideas. Even off track interaction, girlfriends and boardroom competition.

Did I hear correctly about there being a possible 14 teams coming into the series in the future. Means a lot of work to ensure big enough pit lanes.

13. SgtBhaji

Lol.... What was that little spat over?

14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Just a bit of rubbing, I think Chastain may have pushed him into the wall a little bit, and it's not the first time they've clashed on track where Chastain has been the aggressor (you can probably say that about everyone and him tbh). It's ironic that Chastain threw the punch tbh, half the drivers in the field probably want to punch him in the face for incidents he's caused that have ****ed them up. Personally I quite like him, he's aggressive and maybe a bit mad (he used to do figure 8 power boat racing), but, crucially doesn't make excuses, or whine when he gets payback and accepts it for what it was, retaliation for his overly aggressive driving.
    Plus he did the wall-ride.