1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Merry-go-round

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Feb 17, 2021.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Stop -- I want to get off !
    I have watched all of Gills games this season... The home, league games have been via my season ticket 'pass.' I have paid £10 for the Away games ---- I wonder how many other STH have laid out the same ?

It is no secret that our home league form has been (mainly) poor. There have been far too many defeats - and the entertainment value has been fairly miserable..... Do I feel confident of a 'turnaround' ? - realistically - NO! -- and I doubt if I'm on my own ......... So, I am really concerned for what the future holds for the Club.

All of our lives have been turned upside down by Coronavirus. I suspect that most of us have revalued our priorities.... Who knows where football will fit into our lives when things return to 'normal.' The consequences of the pandemic have yet to be fully felt by a lot of people - let alone Football (( for example - how will people's jobs and finances fare when the Furlough scheme comes to an end )) --- I am sure that many jobs only exist because of the Furlough payments.

..... These 'political' issues, and many more are before you consider the attraction of returning to Priestfield. The attraction is thin on the ground (( or, because we play hoofball - up in the air. )) What our STH have been given for their money ( more than the £10 match pass - of which you can opt out !! ) , has been rubbish value-for-money. I suspect that many 'casual' matchday customers have been discouraged to pay out ------ I don't know if the Clubs are able to assess the numbers involved.

The mediocrity, especially at Priestfield is not going to improve in the Summer -- I would be amazed if Dempsey and Graham remain - and probably followed by Tucker - especially if Evans publicly 'roasts' him - yet allows the 'performance' of Jackson to go without rebuke..... I wouldn't be surprised if Evans also leaves ( he's due a 'fall-out' with his Chairman ! ).... even if Evans stays, we'll be left with another team rebuild - and- Evans already knows the size of the budget --- which I think will be a lot less than either he or Scally might imagine - because....

whilst we all get used to a 'new normal', I think that Football is no longer at the top of things to do on a Saturday. I sincerely hope that our attendance figures won't dramatically drop - but - the Club is not doing itself any favours with the general standard on show -- I probably won't ask for a 'request stop' of the merry- go-round, but there might not be many passengers left at the end of the journey - and fewer wanting to buy a return ride.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    WINDYROG and gioblues like this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

I was discussing the attendances only the other day elsewhere. I fear people will be accustomed to the new normal, and will have noticed the savings in their pocket. So though attendances may rocket in the first weeks of lifting restrictions, I feel they will soon plummet, especially in the Premier League.

In regards to the gaffers comments, I'm sure you and me could soon find him a laminated bus pass out of the club, if it were to continue. I'm sure folks remember the travel story's of two (grumpy) camels <laugh>

Dempsey and Graham can certainly do better than our club, although I'd love them to stay, along with Jack.

As for merry-go-rounds...

please log in to view this image

alwaysright likes this.
  3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I might have to call Jackson 'Brian.'

4. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I expect Graham to leave in the summer. I'm sure he will be able to find a Championship club. With regards to Dempsey, he is still contracted for another year again I think we will have no alternative but to try and cash in on him. If he keeps up the good form for the rest of the season we could at least get some half decent money for him and hopefully get the club into a bit more or a financially stable and positive position. Ogilvie out of contract so you would assume will also go to greener lands and I would expect Bonham to do the same.

Probably one of the things that winds me up the most about Evans is the high turnover of players he goes through. Yes alright fine we know at this level there will always be a turnover each summer but Evans goes through players more than most. In his time at Peterborough I'm sure I read he signed 16 players one summer. Rotherham he did very similar.

If we want to achieve any success then there needs to be a stable core, something of which doesn't seem to happen under Mr Evans.

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

I agree with everything there....there's a first haha.

Graham as you say will go to Championship and Dempsey will be I expect a much needed finanicial gain, such is life. I think O'gilvie we should be trying to keep hold of. As for Bonham, I'll keep schtum, it's safer. <laugh>

I hasten to add, I would love to keep Graham, Dempsey and Ogilvie, I think we have the foundations in them players to build around, but dreams are never normally the reality.

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  6. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

7. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

I am actually waiting for the standard of 'football' to reach mediocrity. However, if one expects nothing, then disappointment does not become an issue..................

itstimupnorth and alwaysright like this.