1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mercedes: Team Thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by TopClass, Feb 18, 2022.

1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Slim sidepods. Slim tyres

ched999uk likes this.
  2. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

3. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

4. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Looked much much less bouncey on track though.

Let's see what happens in FP2, where I presume they will drop the ride height a little more and push...

5. TopClass

6. TopClass

7. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Mr.B, Big Ern and TopClass like this.
  8. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

And I thought the tyres from the previous roll out in Barcelona were small <laugh>

TopClass and ched999uk like this.
  9. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

7 races and Gearge has out performed Lewis in 6 of them. If Lewis doesn't get to grips with this car soon he is going to beaten by George fair and square. I am suspecting Lewis has a mental issue affecting his performance. 35 is not too old to adapt to an entirely new in its characteristics.

10. TopClass

Honestly it doesn’t concern me in the slightest. 5th, 7th, 9th etc it’s all the same to Lewis. When pole position and race wins are on- that’s the time to see if George still out performs him.

He’s a 7 time WDC who qualifies like a machine, but has gone from a title winning beast of a car to one in a new formula with all sorts wrong with it.

George does look top class though and so take nothing away from him. Would love to see him and Lando in the fight for wins- fireworks that will be one day!

Baku will be interesting to see if they carry straight line advantage like Barcelona. That middle section of lap though might be hard on them having seen Monaco!

11. moreinjuredthanowen

Baku will be a red bull procession and there will be a final answer to the merc engine question.

3rd best??

12. Mark Blow

66F08EA9-272B-4879-8F32-714E4B8154F5.png Now that the Mercedes AMG one is out can we have one of these as the safety car?

ched999uk likes this.
  13. moreinjuredthanowen

I don't know why thgey actually want a flsh car for the "medical car" and they seem to think they need a road car for the safety car.

As just a question:

If the objective of safety car is to go round at a set speed (irrespective of driver whining) in order to ensure nobody can plough into on track people /slow moving lumps of steel like tractors or to create a big gap of time for people to sort stuff when why don't they simply a single seater race car?

why not drive round in a f2 model car with big flashings lights all over it. why use a massively expensive road car specially adapted?

also the medical car needs to trail round the pack at the start and then be able to race from the pits or wherever so it needs to be "quick" but safe.

surely a 4 man safety team with full equipment instead of a tiny cabined super car would be better. aka the tiny little extinguishers the lads had to go save grosjean with looked a function of their own small space. Surely a 4X4 capable of getting in close with all the first response medical equipment would be a must?

14. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

That is a bit too black and white. Till now there have been major issues with the chassis. Extracting the true performance is still going to take some time even if the basics are mostly sorted.

15. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

The choice of safety car is a marketing exercise.

16. moreinjuredthanowen

why does slamming the merc even closer to the ground work to reduce porpiosing?

apparently the smoother track at Silverstone will allow the merc to be slammed to the ground this weekend and this will reduce the bouncing.

I don't know if this just means the aeroflow stays attached better and doesn't release or if this just means the car has less travel to bounce up and down with.

its been reported that mercs are now running extremely stiff suspension and low to the ground as a result of thier upgrades thus far. the issues at montreal were "hitting the ground" not porpoising.

However surely what they are then saying is the downforce is not being lost any more but they are hitting every hump, bump and kerb like a hammer hitting an anvil to achieve it.

something doesn't add up as the red bull is supposedly running massively higher but still gets the down force and that's why it is stable

Maybe we need a track smoothness rating for each track coming and just write off the bumpy ones or ones you have to climb kerbs to get any lap time?

17. ched999uk

I wonder if it's something to do with the tunnel dimensions and that's fixed into the chassis design?

18. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The teams want to run close to the ground to seal off the edges of the floor using aerodynamics, and therefore maximise the ground effect.

The Red Bull works that floor-sealing airflow harder, meaning they can achieve a "seal" at a higher ride height than the Mercedes can. Red Bull can run high enough to avoid bumps, Mercedes run lower in order to seal the floor, but then have more issues with bumps.

I think!

ched999uk likes this.
  19. Mark Blow

08A97D2F-F9E7-44C6-91A4-46EE669A5317.jpeg

I’m sorry Lewis, but that attire is comedic

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  20. ched999uk

I have seen clowns at the circus look better dressed!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    Number 1 Jasper likes this.