1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mercedes: Team Thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by TopClass, Feb 18, 2022.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

as the merc designer elliott had commented on interesting red bull side pods i thought this would be ok i nthe context of posting on the merc page in referene to thier "no side pods stuff"

red bull: very small side pod entrance with forward under element moved right out. (more on under element anon) the body work is post likley largely empty beind the radiators which can't be all that much bigger than mercs?
    please log in to view this image

please log in to view this image

this image really shows the action to move air. Clearly with "no" sidepods there much less drag but all of this air is being directed down and out over the side of the floor. The twin barge boards set up is doing the same. if this air isn't getting outwashed by the body work how will merc get enough vortices to seal off the floor?

ched999uk likes this.
  2. moreinjuredthanowen

also a question comes to mind is safety.

this car design would have had to pass the side impact test already to race?

3. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Don't think it would impact the tub, so should be good.

The big thing for me is just simply cooling. How the hell would that work? Especially at elevation.

4. moreinjuredthanowen

well the shot without covers does suggest they can keep the same inlet and still reduce radically if it is a thing. you are right though, at attitude and the hooter places the thing must be marginal hence the slits they have already shown off.

5. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

just reading the banter above, the more dummies that can be put out there, till the last minute real car and aero is used next weekend, the better for the team with a good formula. With 3 races before the first in Itay there are a lot of points to be gained with a good start to the season. Merc have traditionally been a little slow at the start of a new season, in the era of no budget caps that was not too much of a problem. Still concerned how well/effectively the caps can be policed. With Honda staying in the game, I don't know how F1 expects to police Honda the car manufacturer's spend, nor Mercedes in a similar manner. Put simply, the F1 can't have that right to walk in, audit, inspect premises etc. of a Corporate entity. So what stops aero work, engine design being done in those environments, that is not charged, other than integrity?

6. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Integrity left Formula One years ago

7. SgtBhaji

I hope side-pods vanishing isn't going to be a thing.... It's going to ruin that Ferrari. :(

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  8. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

In a sport with less rules (historically) that was not necessarily a problem, now it can be. Honda chose to stay in F1 because of the success of Verstappen and the way that can be used to drive up sales. With so much money involved it is big business and we all know what that means. That said, the budget caps may not be a perfect solution but probably level the field to a degree.

ched999uk likes this.
  9. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

If Merc does turn up with mega slim sidepods then that would sort of explain why they turned up at the first test with sidepods that looked very similar to previous years!

Sky's coverage starts Thursday (Tomorrow) at 7am UK time!!! Can't wait!!

Number 1 Jasper and Justjazz like this.
  10. SgtBhaji

Well holy ****.. that thing is interesting.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    ched999uk likes this.

11. SgtBhaji

Now comes the question...Have Merc just pulled a blinder, and the rest will be scrambling to catch up, or is this going to be one of those things that takes a while to get working at it's best?

ched999uk likes this.
  12. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

upload_2022-3-10_7-21-4.jpeg

Goodness me. <yikes>

I hope that doesn’t make them dominant.

13. SgtBhaji

What I like atm is that we dont have 20 cars that pretty much look alike. We've got a few different approaches, And what would be nice is if none are the clear best and all excel under certain conditions.

Hey... I can dream!

Btw... I have no idea what the zero pod thing means for F1 or if it's going to the the next big thing for all teams, but it's great to see some creativity in the design of these things.

ched999uk likes this.
  14. moreinjuredthanowen

It looks like the top of sidepod still there now as a wing and imo that's going to be appealed right off.

The side pod still exists but is just as expected tight in and there's basically slats everywhere to achieve cooling.

15. SgtBhaji

May just be there to meet the requirements for bodywork dimensions (would have to look at that) or something to simply mount a wing mirror to, since they can't use the halo.

16. moreinjuredthanowen

yeah, though the question is that its a now an aero wing which i thought were banned.

17. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

18. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

So... working out whether it's worth copying it before deciding whether to protest it...?

19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Won’t be doing so “ YET “

20. moreinjuredthanowen

someone's whispered in his ear that they can easily replicate.... chancers.

ched999uk and Mark Blow like this.