1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Mental Health

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Staines R's, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Staines, credit to you for opening up and recognising you need to look after your mental health. Just posting what you did here might help a bit. I'm sure you're not alone.

One thing my old man has always said to me which helps is to make sure you've got a few things in the diary you're looking forward to each month. They can be small like a rangers game you know you've set aside time to watch, or a takeaway you've planned with the family; or bigger, like a holiday (in a few months!) or a hobby you've invested in (new bike or whatever). Having things you know you're looking forward to is really important.

2. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Really like that idea...thankyou.

Quite Possibly Raving likes this.
  3. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

The last bit of glitter I let into my life ended up doing time - thankfully I wasn't in his gang...

Sooperhoop, rangercol and Staines R's like this.
  4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I saw GG live at Wembley Arena. Great fun.

5. Steelmonkey

I saw Rolf Harris at Glastonbury....<laugh>

6. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

Staines credit to you in recognising your concerns.
    PM me if you want to just chat, we can cheer each other up by taking about the common love we have for QPR.

Didley Squat and Staines R's like this.
  7. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

In my work I tend to see people generally at their worst and suffering huge anxiety. Over the last year it seems this has been compounded by not just the restrictions but the open ended uncertainty of it all.

Stains - I know it’s a cold comfort saying “you’re not alone” but I do wonder if actually, particularly given your line of work, that it might be more concerning and unusual if you weren’t experiencing some MH and stress issues.

Sooperhoop, kiwiqpr and Staines R's like this.
  8. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Nice post Beth,

Stainsey, listening to your friends here is a start.
    You’ve already started the process by identifying you could do with some advice & support, great stuff mate.
    As others have said, bit by bit, talking about can help, sometimes you may feel your not but the very fact that you are persisting proves you are.
    Little steps, one hurdle at a time and trust yourself.
    Never give up and be as stubborn as fcuk in trying to help yourself.
    It can be a lifetime journey but boy, is it worth it.
    Best wishes buddy.
    Aussie.

9. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this Staines. I struggle every single day, not with the lockdown, restrictions or this pandemic. I actually (in a strange way) find it quite refreshing, going back to basics, leading a simple life. I enjoy my son being at home, yet feel for him over the restrictions. When I was younger, I wasnt the nicest person, I would argue that left was right and vice versa. I came away from that as I got older. When we lost our daughter, that person came back. I went back to boxing but just in a training capacity (was too old to fight). I would lose all my adrenaline on the punch bag. I would talk to the people who know me better than anyone, those who truly understand and share my pain. There is no rule book (despite experts) for mental health, in my opinion its finding a balance between peace and anger through conversation. I have experienced so much death in my life that I often feel like I'm being punished for a previous existence. All I can do is concentrate all my attentions on the well being of loved ones. Money and materialistic things have never been important to me. I get huge satisfaction from helping others less fortunate as theres always someone worse off than yourself. Keep strong pal. The brain is a complex system, I've learned to lock away certain parts of my life deep in there somewhere. They linger but I can control them.

10. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

I use that trick - something to look forward to - to get thru the winter.

Oct. My birthday.
    Nov. Usually book a week's holiday at home.
    Dec. Christmas! Love it. Also shortest day so days getting longer!
    Jan. Daughter's birthday
    Feb. Used to book week in the sun. Sometimes Canaries or Gambia.
    March. Spring!

All interspersed with log fires as and when available in a rental and long hot baths in the depths of winter.

There's a brilliant bit in Crocodile Dundee when he's asked what people do in Walkabout Creek if they have a MH problem. He says they tell Wally who then tells the whole town and the problem disappears! Another way of expressing 'a problem shared is a problem halved'!

Thanks for sharing Staines.

11. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

Mate for me it’s about finding a positive release be that shadow boxing, personal reflection, oh the one thing I’ve found quite cool is doing a fair bit of charity work it takes away some of the focus of both work and the mundane.

Try everything, keep your mind active Mine can get self destructive if I’m left with my own thoughts and don’t structure those thoughts. Different moods can call for different solutions, well for me anyway.

Didley Squat and Staines R's like this.
  12. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Did he do 'Stairway To Heaven'?...

'Hell's Bells' would be more suitable for that c*nt...

Steelmonkey likes this.
  13. Steelmonkey

Another thing that I've found a great help over the lockdown is cooking - pretty sure I'm not alone going by our foodie thread.

I find spending time in the kitchen, and then dishing up something for the whole family to enjoy very satisfying - especially experimenting with different types of food that I've never cooked before. Even if you've never made anything before, give it a try. Stick on some music, either in the background or headphones on, and get your mojo working in the kitchen!

14. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hey stainsey just catching up.....kudos to you for putting this out there....

I think this lockdown is worse than the others.....long nights, short days, cold etc. Also your job being on the front line in all this must take it's toll....

Personally I miss going to the gym a couple of times a week, just to get out for an hour or so, plus playing golf, not that we could do that much given the weather...

I know I'm not the easiest person to live with, WFH being in the house 24/7 is testing to say the least, but at least this time I have enough work to keep me occupied.

One thing I'm grateful for is live sport still taking place, at least I can get out of Mrs TR's hair for a bit most evenings and follow the football online..... at the moment I'm watching the golf from America whilst Mrs TR is watching TV.....

Another thing I've been doing since we went into 2nd lockdown in October is an online Spanish course, a couple of hours each evening, it keeps the mind active and it's hopefully something I can put to use when we can start travelling again...

I'm also looking forward to getting back out in the garden, something as mundane as mowing the grass just to be outside....

Take care stainsey you know there's a huge amount of support out there to give you a helping hand, plus when we tonk Brentford on Wednesday all will seem good again...