1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

McLaren F1: Team Thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by TopClass, Feb 11, 2022.

1. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Yes there is some sort of FIA briefing note that gets published re: any upgrades.

Looking forward to seeing how teams approach things and where they are different vs where they are converging

ched999uk likes this.
  2. TopClass

please log in to view this image

At last- what McLaren hope is a permanent braking solution after the “tactical” welding job they’ve had to persevere with since Bahrain!

3. TopClass

4. TopClass

upload_2022-5-20_8-25-59.jpeg

upload_2022-5-20_8-26-10.jpeg

My non technical eye doesn’t spy much obvious change on the Macca so far - be interested to hear peoples thoughts after FP1 and 2

5. TopClass

upload_2022-5-20_11-54-17.jpeg

Mini pod McLaren?!

6. TopClass

7. moreinjuredthanowen

not sure but there are some interesting things.

1. the front of the floor is very much a red bull homage. its got some imitation of the outer stay being split

2. there's three "white" outwashing underfloor parts there

3 theres the two cuts there as well.

4. the pods look large to me in the shot 4 or 5 pics back but that last one has some change or optical illusion going on. the mirror supports give it away for me. I think its still wide there and contributes to outwahsing effect needed for the floor but the rear of it is very straight and cut in.

TopClass likes this.
  8. TopClass

ched999uk likes this.
  9. TopClass

MCL Monaco- no special livery this year

upload_2022-5-27_11-33-3.jpeg

upload_2022-5-27_11-33-18.jpeg

upload_2022-5-27_11-33-30.jpeg

10. TopClass

11. TopClass

Well safe to say now with some confidence that the McLaren is an extremely draggy car in 2022.

Initially we wondered if it was the conservative Merc PU power modes for reliability but that is no longer seemingly an issue, yet McLaren have been eaten up on the straights in Baku and Montreal.

They are solid in the slow stuff but not brilliant to the point it offsets the straight line deficiency.

You would expect future upgrades to be those that reduce drag or increase efficiency.

Silverstone up next- let’s see if teams begin to bring more- for McLarens sake they certainly need a big step forward soon.

12. TopClass

Horrible news for me personally but not unexpected

Daniel Ricciardo to leave McLaren at the end of 2022 season.

McLaren Racing and Daniel Ricciardo can confirm that Daniel’s 2023 contract has been terminated early as both parties have mutually agreed that he will leave the team at the end of the 2022 Formula 1 season.

Daniel joined McLaren Racing in 2021 and has enjoyed some racing highlights during his time with the team, including winning the 2021 Italian Grand Prix in Monza. McLaren were the only team to achieve a one-two last season en route to securing fourth position in the Constructors’ Championship.

The team will confirm its full 2023 driver line-up in due course.

Daniel Ricciardo, said:
    “It’s been a privilege to be a part of the McLaren Racing family for the last two seasons but following several months of discussions with Zak & Andreas we have decided to terminate my contract with the team early and agree to mutually part ways at the end of this season. I’ll be announcing my own future plans in due course but regardless of what this next chapter brings, I have no regrets and am proud of the effort and work I gave McLaren, especially the win in Monza, last season. I’ve enjoyed working with everyone at McLaren both trackside and back in Woking and will be giving my all on and off track as we enjoy the remainder of the season together. I’ve never been more motivated to compete and be a part of a sport that I love so much and look forward to what comes next.”

Andreas Seidl, Team Principal, McLaren F1 Team, said:
    “I would like to thank Daniel for his dedication and contribution over the last two seasons so far. Despite the shared challenges, he has always turned up with a fighting spirit and positivity and helped the entire team to always keep pushing forward. We will never forget that memorable race win in Monza which was a great boost for the whole team. We still have an important battle in the Constructors’ Championship ahead of us for the remainder of the season and we look forward to battle this out with Daniel and Lando.”

Zak Brown, CEO, McLaren Racing, said:
    “Daniel has been a great addition to McLaren, and it’s been a pleasure working with him. I’d like to thank him for all of his efforts over the last two seasons both trackside and back at base. It’s no secret that we hoped we could achieve more together but seeing him stand on the top step of the podium as a McLaren driver was a highlight. We wish him well for the future and let’s go enjoy the rest of the season together.”

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  13. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Felt inevitable, still disappointed for him. I guess good to get it out in the open before it became the only thing anyone would ask him about from Spa onwards. Listened to him talk about it on Instagram and he's clearly gutted about it, with no plan in place.

Alpine seems logical, best seat on the grid available, and perhaps some "screw Mclaren" energy in both parties there. Maybe he's done with F1 though?

14. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Sad but if they can't get the car to work for him then pure logic suggests change the driver. It will be sad if he's not in F1 next year. Hopefully he will go back to Renault/Alpine but he will be taking a big pay cut. Hopefully his severance package should help :)
    I do hope he's on the grid next year in a car that suits him - 'lick the stamp and send it' would be nice to have back in the race.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    Justjazz and TopClass like this.
  15. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

It's bloody sad. I always felt he had a championship or two in him. :(

16. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Wonder if he'll venture to Yeehaw....

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    Big Ern, TopClass and ched999uk like this.
  17. TopClass

Tell you something, fella would be a superstar in Indy. The Americans would love him IMO.

Wouldn’t be against him taking in a season whilst he evaluates the F1 market.

If I’m Lawrence Stroll I sign him tomorrow to partner Alonso and send Lance to Williams with Albon. Be the best marketing move Aston could make.

If Alpine aren’t sure, I can’t see him jumping into a Haas so I think Indy is a possibility.

18. TopClass

Also crossed my mind- imagine if he jumped into that Ferrari seat if they didn’t choose Sainz. Boy I’d have loved him in this years Ferrari.

19. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I already had him down as a potential driver for that NASCAR guest-driver project next season, I wouldn't be surprised if making that a possibility is part of his next contract, whether that's F1 or elsewhere.

20. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

It is a real shame Danny could not extract what he wanted out of the McLaren. I do hope he goes back to Alpine, if he does he won't find time for guest appearances. He would be focused on success with Alpine. I like both Danny and Lando but would love to see Danny outperform Lando next season. Danny has served his apprenticeship in F1 and shouldn't go to Haas no matter how good they have been this season.
    Danny has unfinished business in F1.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    ched999uk likes this.