1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

McGeady contract

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Southern A, May 20, 2021.

1. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

2. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

What great preparation for Saturday. This season has turned into a total car crash since the Peterborough game.

SAFC4ever and Blond Bombshell like this.
  3. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

Meh, thanks for all you’ve done Aiden but after four years it’s probably time to go. He’s 35 or 36? We need a huge clear out this summer.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  4. Milton Nunez's Thong

Milton Nunez's Thong Well-Known Member

So if he starts he gets a new contract, buy not if he comes off the bench? I'm not sure I'd trust him if we pulled that stunt.

5. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Given his form, mainly, since Parkinson left I would have no issues with him getting a further years contract. If he goes I wont lose sleep either.

6. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t really be bothered if he went, another year older and even though he’s been our most creative player he’s still part of a team of failures and bottlers

7. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I would let him go. I want us to be relying on 26 year olds, not 36. Time to get rid of the old guard and bring in the young and hungry.

8. Football Dinosaur

Football Dinosaur Well-Known Member

Playing as he did on Wednesday isn't the way to secure a new contract. If he and others wanting a new deal had blown Lincoln away they'd beach closer to a new deal with us or at worst someone else. As it is a few of them will struggle to even find clubs.

9. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

What a fcuking mess we are in...
    Short, you ****as

10. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

What’s a shambles of a football club we really are. You couldn’t make it up.

11. Bigmackem

Bigmackem Well-Known Member

Since being given a free roaming role ? he has not been as effective as he is playing out on the left or is it due to this contract issue don’t suppose we will ever know for sure . Think common sense should prevail and some compromise should be reached , a promotion bonus as an example or we are likely to part company on a sour note . We need to win on Saturday so need everyone to be playing at their best .

FellTop and Draig like this.
  12. 7Mackem78

7Mackem78 Well-Known Member

I'd start Jones and Diamond on Saturday, and bring McGeady on to either play on the left, or behind Wyke, sort of where Gooch was the other night.

He's pretty much played every game since he came back in, without a proper pre season as it was with the kids or on his own, and he's now 35. Not surprising you get off games like Wednesday from him when you take all that in to account.

13. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Funny how these things get published days before a massive game!
    hopefully that’s “we’re” rather than “are”!! Fingers crossed the new regime does things the right way.

That said, I’m not sure this contract offer is a “shambles” as such. If he has a “30 league starts and you get another contract” then so be it. If he helps us win the play offs then he can have another year fir me!

RTB and Robref62 like this.
  14. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Makes sense (the contract that is). he's 36 and more susceptible to injuries and he's slowing down as he gets older (we all do).

realistically we can't afford to spend 10% of our wage budget on a 36 year old

Bank of England 2, RTB and Mackem-Tiz like this.
  15. His form has dropped off in recent matches.....he wouldn't be in my team for tomorrow anyway. Bye Aiden.

16. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

I'm calling B.S on this. Do you honestly think LJ and KLD will risk losing our best chance of turning this around. Its mischief making by someone imo.

Nathan Brazil, FellTop and OldNewtown like this.
  17. OldNewtown

OldNewtown Well-Known Member

The timing of this "disclosure" is interesting isn't it, almost like someone wants some dissent in the camp.
    Which media organisation broke the story and is anyone else running it?

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  18. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

He's by far our most effective player but in a system that is frankly completely ineffective.

He's so far up the assists chart because our entire tactic is to give him the ball and have him either shoot or cross it into the box and hope Wyke can head it in.

He's extremely talented, but he's 36. He's been our main man for 4 of the worst seasons in Sunderland's history. And he's only going to slow us down even more next year. Time to try something new, even if that means less obviously talented players in a more coherent system.

To me its a no brainer that he goes. That's nothing against him, Parky treated him like ****. But we need to move on.

Bank of England 2 and Jarca like this.
  19. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Like Blackpool.... we're not the team of all talents anymore.

20. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

Yet all the pundits rave about his stats in this league, the best player in the league, the best league one midfielder etc. Incredible that people want to get rid of our best players, even before the league fate is decided.

I actually watched his podcast on open goal, totally different character to what I thought, I like him so fcuk off.

Robref62 and RTB like this.