1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

McCarthy or Gunn ?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by AberdeenSaint, Oct 1, 2019.

1. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Angus is very young for a keeper, and has loads of time for improvement. But right now, I think Alex is a better keeper, and last week`s games merely cemented my opinion. I don`t see any facet where Alex isn`t better - reliability, shot stopping, coming for crosses, commanding his 6 yard box, kicking etc etc. I think Alex is a better option also for inspiring confidence behind a somewhat wobbly defence. What do you think ?

Dohnut likes this.
  2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Must be that time of the year we start questioning our number-one keeper, who'll then get dropped around christmas time.

See 2017 - Fraser Forster
    See 2018 - Alex McCarthy.

I'm Team Gunn all the way, personally, though McCarthy is an able enough deputy.

3. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Not much in it but at this moment I'd go for Alex.

Dohnut likes this.
  4. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Not much in it so I would go for Gunn for long term development and benefit to the club.

5. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

Depends on who is fittest on the day, physically and mentally. Ralph will have most of the answers to make the decision.

6. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I think that Angus has the much higher ceiling and the more he plays the better he will get, having said that I was mighty glad that Alex was in goal against the Skates as he is so steady and reliable.

7. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Not been impressed with Gunn the last few games, and McCarthy never really did anything wrong IMO to warrant losing the job.

On the other hand, Gunn has generally been decent and everyone goes through a sketchy spell now and again. If Ralph thinks Gunn is the man, I'm fine with that. But if Ralph thinks Gunn needs a break to get his head together and/or work on some things then I'm fine with that as well.

The GK situation right now is of mild concern to me. We need more from our keeper than what we've gotten from Gunn, but for now I'm fairly confident we can get it from either (or both) of our keepers. I'm going to trust Hasenhuttl on his solution but he needs to be on top of this so we don't end up in a Forster situation where he was obviously terrible for at least 10 games before we made a move.

8. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Neither of them are as good as I'd ideally want them to be (neither are the level of Niemi). But equally, I have no issues with either of them. I don't think there's much between them, so I'm pretty relaxed with one we play.

fatletiss and Libby like this.
  9. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Agreed, l am more concerned specifically with the centre back issue, where frankly we have alot more problems than at keeper.

10. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I feel that Gunn got the number one spot because he was quite a lot of money to be a number 2.
    Alex was unlucky to lose his no1 spot, as formwise there has been no advantage in playing Gunn.
    Both good keepers IMHO, but Gunn was never the stand out for me.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah agree with both of you really, I'm still far convinced by Gunn but as the younger keeper happy for him to have the number one shirt as I don't think there's much between them, although it was a bit harsh on Alex.

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

McCarthy has had his chance to shine in the Cups, and imo. he’s taken that chance. I’d have him as first choice in the PL for now.

9043graham, Saints14 and Dohnut like this.
  13. berlinersaint

berlinersaint Active Member

Alex has more authority + experience, good for the rest of the defence.
    imo:emoticon-0100-smile

Dohnut likes this.
  14. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I'd go for McCarthy personally, more reliable and experienced.

Not much between them though.

Dohnut likes this.
  15. Saint John

Saint John Active Member

Gunn I feel is a better goalkeeper. That's my gut instinct and I'd pick him every time over McCarthy considering the age differential.

16. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

McCarthy. Haven’t seen many clean sheets from gunn. One for the future.

Dohnut likes this.
  17. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Two in his last three games.

Fraser only looked good because he was behind a good defence?

Gunn looks sh1t because he’s behind a sh1t defence?

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  19. Saint John

Saint John Active Member

Fraser got exposed when we tried to play more expansively and aggressively. Fraser is a good keeper if the defence plays a deep block, deep line. Similar to De Gea, who has been dreadful for Spain due the fact Spain play expansively with a high line. Both De Gea and Forster have no command in the box and are good shot stoppers up close. Both struggle with efforts from distance and are both hesitant coming off their lines. I'm not comparing them, De Gea is far superior. More their styles.

In terms of Gunn and McCarthy they aren't a like for like and I'm sure that's deliberate. It's clear the manager prefers Gunn for some styles and McCarthy for others. Overall I prefer Gunn but that's just an opinion. In a deep block I'd prefer McCarthy I think.

Mourinho got big stick for inactive midfield and defence, no enough press on the ball etc when manager of MU. But he got results and won the Europa League for example. Didn't do as well as he'd hoped but in terms of De Gea he explained the way MU played without the ball under him was just to play to the strengths of the keeper who he rated highly, which is an interesting strategy and one not many managers are interested in.

At times Gunn (and McCarthy) are overly exposed. We saw that a lot with Fraser whenever he played post injury (for his style).

fatletiss likes this.
  20. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

I dont think either are great but right now i would play McCarthy over Gunn.