1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

McCarthy is 100% leaving this summer

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

We are not in any danger of relegation, so from a board's perspective, there is no urgency for a change. The main issue is that better managerial options will be available at the end of a season, rather than in April. Most of the ideal candidates for the Town job are in employment, and some are competing for promotion, so these managers are highly unlikely to leave until the season has been finished.

I'd rather the club focused on their recruitment process over the next couple of months and draw up a five or seven man shortlist. I don't see the point in giving the job to Terry Connor or Gerard Nash for the remainder of the season when Evans doesn't want to waste money on compensation and hiring a managerial stop gap. I can't say I blame him.

What the club should do is announce their intention to replace McCarthy in the summer when his contract expires. It will clear up the confusion, notify the players they are playing for their future, and will take the pressure off McCarthy. The atmosphere at Portman Road would improve in that the negativity and apathy would be lifted somewhat. And if Mick doesn't like it, he can resign and then we'd have to give it to Nash until the end of the season and save a lot of money in the process.

2. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Well put Nuggets <applause> Have to agree with pretty much all of that..

In an ideal world, we'd offload Mick this week and have someone in for the final few games who can have a proper look at the squad.. But anyone who is available now would probably (and hopefully) not be our 1st choice. We need the right decision, rather than a quick decision.

I would also like to point out that on the other side of the coin, Mick is conducting himself very well (Press questioning aside) If he knows he'll be cast aside in a few months then most managers would get the hump and storm off, but I think Mick is showing at least some level of professionalism in sticking to task and seeing it through. Which I think should be commended (albeit through gritted teeth for many)

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Nuggets has got it right, no point getting rid now but an announcement would be nice

4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I say get rid now but there's no need to rush an appointment

Let the wounds start to heal and players given a chance with a bit of freedom at the end of the season

5. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

After much deliberation, I agree that the announcement should be made soon, which gives everyone a chance to 'enjoy' whats left of the season. Room and time for a proper shortlist to be drawn up, time for MM to serve out his last few weeks with some dignity, and several meaningless games for most players to lay for their future with some pride, knowing that a new broom comes in soon. And for supporters and diehards to breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy their matches. And maybe even renew their annual subs!

Nuggets likes this.
  6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Was your sauce the ketchup on your chips in the pub Westlake?

Bigalreigned likes this.
  7. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

People in the pub were more or less putting 2 + 2 together for Mowbray. I have no idea if that's happening.

I will at some point in the future go into details regarding the individual - the f*** off remark was indeed the absolute final straw for the club also. Apparently, until then it was 50-50 however that comment sealed it.

Not going to blab fully as it's not the right time and if people think I'm full of it / lying / making it up you'll see for yourself very soon it's happening. Not that it's exactly hardly breaking news - I think we all knew it would :)

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Yeah... but people put around false rumours on purpose and people like to big themselves up and gossip, so whatever you think you know, even if it was from a senior figure at the club or a well connected journalist, may not be the case anyway.

Scowey and Bigalreigned like this.
  9. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

The language of the statement today suggests he's going.

"Discuss best way forward for club" not "discuss his contract"

Still don't fully understand why they're hanging about with the announcement, it's becoming quite clear.

10. Westlake33

I know this for 100% fact however you'll find out yourselves in the next two weeks. Was absolutely amazed he told me before the cab on his way to the ground in the day of social media etc.

I'm not prepared to elaborate until he's no longer anything to do with the club as it wouldn't be right but just thought I'd do the right thing and share with you guys - who I've spoken with for years.

But there we go, you'll find out yourselves soon enough. Only time I've ever done this so there we go - it's because it's factual.

11. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Westy - as much as i value your opinion, and tip my hat off to you with your knowledge of football and Ipswich, there really is only two people that can claim to knowing it to be fact, and that's Mick and Marcus - and i very much doubt they would be getting a cab to the ground.

12. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Westy had a few and thought some local bloke was Marcus Evans.. <ale> :emoticon-0110-tongu

Bigalreigned likes this.
  13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

You're missing the point old boy.. maybe it was Evans himself you spoke to, but who's to say he won't change his mind. Even after the announcement. Until I see a new man (or woman) in the dugout I'm taking nothing for granted.

14. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

If,which I very much doubt,someone in the know at the Club let slip such information to some random herbert in a pub, then they need to take a serious look at the position.Otherwise it's just gossip.

15. Westlake33

Well lets just say then, that this individual indeed did realise the error of what they've said prior to getting into taxi and meets your criteria.

Look, I thought you'd all be interested - I'm passing this on as it's a forum.

I get that people may be skeptical however when have I ever made a silly false rumour. Lets just say this person DOES work for the club, and was one of about eight from the club who were more than happy to mingle / have a chat with us in the pub before the Bristol City game - as various people from the club do with the south west club meet.

Would not have got info out of said person if hadn't followed out of pub on way to his taxi whilst waiting for my taxi / I was last one in.

Anyway there we go - all I have to say on the matter you'll soon see yourselves. Not that it's hardly a bloody exclusive, it's obvious as hell he's off. Just not the name and shame person via the internet - this person certainly didn't have to tell me considering their role in the club so it's not right to do so.

16. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Aww c'mon, don't be a poo...tell us who you were mingling with?
    Lemme guess - I reckon big Titus

17. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I reckon it was the lady who serves the chips at the training ground canteen!

18. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Well whoever Westy's source is, they got the season ticket scheme right in another post Westy put up. I didn't anticipate a 10% deduction and I think a few of us on here were expecting a price freeze at best. As you say Westy, I don't think McCarthy leaving is that big a surprise, but I think it looks incredibly likely he is on his way out after the bungled approach from Evans and Milne in the media regarding this issue.

19. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Westy - you were right, its confirmed & just in time for the Easter break. A celebration drink or 2 is called for

Nuggets likes this.
  20. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member