1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mazzarri's future

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Jan 29, 2017.

?

What should happen to Mazzarri

Poll closed Feb 2, 2017.
  1. Go now

36.8%
  2. Give him till Burnley at least

21.1%
  3. Give him a month

5.3%
  4. Give him till end of season then decide

36.8%
  1. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

OK - it was earlier this month when we had a thread supporting Mazzarri.
    How do we feel 4 weeks later?

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Watching his body language today he looks completely out of his depth!

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Yep - a 3 foot man in a 10 foot pool :)

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have usually been against short term decisions but this one has been months in the making and looking at the last ten or so performances I really do not think we are any better off than we were this time last year. If we keep Mazzarri we may well avoid relegation - but I would not bet on it. If we keep him do we really think he is capable of building a better side next year. I just do not see anything positive in the man at all. If he goes now we will probably perform as well or better than with him - it is difficult to perform much worse - only Crystal Palace are achieving that. A new person would then have four months plus a close season to prepare for next year. I really hoped we could get off the change manager merry go round - but Mazzarri really seems lost.
    Apart from the first two or three months he has not performed - would we accept that from a player?

5. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

This is what I am doubting...

6. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Interesting Quique has just pulled off a great 3-1 win against Seville.

My only thought would be who would replace him? It needs to be an english speaker who can handle a mixed international bunch. Who are the out of work possibles because I doubt at this point in a season we could entice someone doing well at a club of Prem level.

For that reason I find it hard to vote.

Last thing we need is to replace like with like. :emoticon-0107-sweat

7. Mexican Hornet

Got to be end of season because of the reason you state above.

However, will we stay up?

The only hope is 3 worse teams....Grim really.

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Good point - but would somebody else really do worse? Surely the Pozzos have someone in mind?

9. Mexican Hornet

I can only throw this random name in the hat...Surely he might want to come back to the Prem but must be on mega $$ there....

10. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

well you couldn't get much better calibre

11. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

He's only been here for a few months, had a horrible run of luck with injuries and our 2 best strikers from last season are out of form/shape.

He really doesn't deserve to be sacked before the end of the season. We've made some interesting signings and some of the injured with be back soon, let's see how the next few weeks go before calling him finished...

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I do hope you are right. Not sacking him is the easier option. I just hope it does not get us relegated.

13. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Who would replace him? I honestly can't think of a manager we could realistically get, and gambling on another random italian manager doesn't really fill me with confidence.

I'm disappointed he's not started talking English yet, but I'm not sure if that's still the case with the squad? It does look like he's speaking to players occasionally. I'd understand if it's just to the media, I wouldn't want to speak to them at all.

If we hadn't lost Pereyra to that knee injury I doubt we'd be in this situation. He really looked promising...Same with Success.

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I don't know to be honest - there are lots of names being touted but I do not know which I would pick. Agree that another random Italian is not a hopeful course.
    His English IS an issue - but alone is not. The injuries are a real and valid reason for some of the lack of performance. However the real reason I have come to the conclusion reluctantly that he should go is because I think worse will come. I do not think when he has a full squad we will become much better. Yes maybe we won't be relegated and for that reason I can see merit in holding on - but is that really reason not to do what seems the right thing. I don't know. But then again I am always in the dumps after a defeat. Maybe in a day or two I can rethink - no, hold on Arsenal Tuesday :(

15. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

The biggest worry is the fact he thinks we seem to be playing well and are just unlucky!

Maybe lost in translation...

16. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I believed it up to about 6 games ago... <laugh>

17. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Did anyone else watch the match on FS1 stream? His shouted instructions in English could be heard - in fact one of the pundits mentioned that he shouted "Just kick the ball up to Okaka".

Given that they didn't, perhaps the language problem is with the players...

18. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

I was watching it on the BBC so didn't hear it mentioned. I do suspect he, like Pochettino did, simply uses the excuse to avoid speaking in English to the media.

Markthehorn likes this.
  19. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Trouble is he gets quite stressed on the touchline and starts waving his arms which suggests panic and rushes to his assistants to get them to pass on a message.

Kicking up the pitch hardly worked - meat and drink to the 6ft plus Millwall defenders.

We needed Cleverly or Capoue in midfield to add some guile and passing ability..

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Sometimes a manager has to go not only for his failures but because he is out of touch with everyone else these two quotes from the Watford Observer show he has no idea:

"Mazzarri claims no-one was more sorry than him after their defeat which left the side to concentrate on improving their worrying form in the Premier League.
    The Hornets head coach said: “I am the most disappointed and very sorry for them. But I’m even more sorry than them in this moment.
    "In the FA Cup there are many games and not only Watford have been knocked out of the competition but also many important teams."It’s normal and it can happen in one game that it doesn’t go your way. But now we have to concentrate and look to the following games."

He claims Watford deserved to beat Millwall despite his side being dumped out of the FA Cup after losing 1-0 this afternoon.
    The Hornets produced an abject showing against the League One club as a late Steve Morison effort fired the Lions into the fifth round.
    But the Watford head coach saw things differently and believes his side were hard done by at the Den.
    Mazzarri said: “Here at Millwall it is not easy. It was almost a war and a very aggressive game. It almost seemed like a wrestling match at certain moments.

I'm sorry but he cannot carry the players or the fanse with thoughts like those. He is more disappointed than the fans - how disrespectful - fans paid good money - he was paid good money.
    Only an unlikely result tomorrow will slow the inevitable.