1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Matthew Brazier, Ex Cardiff City RIP

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Cardiff City
    His loan spell saw him make 11 appearances for the club and, despite a back injury disrupting his time at the club, his performances persuaded Cardiff to pay £100,000 for him at the end of the 1998–99 season.[4] His first season back at the club did not live up to the expectations set during his loan spell at the club and it was not until his second year that he managed to return to form only for an illness to disrupt his season.[3] He helped the team win promotion to the Second Division during the 2000–01 season as they finished as runners-up to Brighton & Hove Albion.

In the 2001–02 season, Brazier fell out of favour with manager Alan Cork after being told on the first day of pre-season training that he had been placed on the transfer list, along with a number of other players, including Jason Fowler, Scott McCulloch and Andy Thompson, who labelled themselves the "death camp" due to their exclusion from first team activity.[4] He made just one appearance during the season, in October 2001, during a 7–1 victory over Rushden & Diamonds in the Football League Trophy. Brazier became disgruntled with the situation and launched a scathing attack on Cork, stating "I didn't matter if I played out of my skin for the reserves, I wasn't going to get a game at Cardiff this season and Alan Cork made that clear to me at the start. [...] He might say there wasn't a problem between us, but I think there was. I don't think he wanted me anywhere near the club."[4]

Brazier and Kevin Nugent both saw moves to Colchester United collapse in December 2001,[5] but the pair eventually moved to Leyton Orient in January 2002.[4] Brazier spent two years with Leyton Orient before retiring in 2004. :emoticon-0103-cool:

2. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Remember him yes; so sad to pass so young.

3. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Seeing the name Alan Cork brought back a memory for sure! 0-4 away to Wigan, all goals scored with headers from corners, “you’re getting sacked in the morning” was never more apt! :emoticon-0103-cool:

<party><party><party>:emoticon-0159-musicSacked in the morning, you’re getting sacked in the morn....:emoticon-0159-music

4. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

RIP Matt. Sad to hear this. Good player.

5. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

so young and yet another taken by the big C...........doesn't seem like we are winning any battle against this fungus with more and more dying each per year.

I also remember matthew and as hilts said seemed a nice player at the time.

RIP dude :emoticon-0150-hands

6. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

He played at a time that I worked on weekends so didn't get a chance to see him play but a Bluebird is always a Bluebird RIP Matt.

7. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

I remember Matt from from my early football manager days in particular. Too young. RIP Bluebird!

8. blueturk the cat

blueturk the cat Well-Known Member

I can't say goodbye to Gordon Banks and Emiliano Sala and leave a past player out

RIP Matt , You are in good company <applause>

<rose>Once a Bluebird always a Bluebird <rose>

BluefromBridgend likes this.